• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Been seeing a lot of people on social talking about how media are picking on Harris. There are some legit gripes like lack of coverage of Steyer stealing her data and the hit piece that cited the person who left her campaign for Bloomberg. But the simple truth is Harris never developed a base or cohesive message despite being a firm #5 in the polls.

Yeah she ran a terrible campaign. Her staff was mostly Hillary vets, but she also used her sister in a prominent role and she changed strategy a lot. She also did a weird job picking her spots. She was lobbed a softball about Pete's SC slipup and failed to do anything with it. Instead she pushed really hard on the "Trump should be suspended from Twitter for violating terms of service" thing, which I can't imagine matters to a broad part of the electorate. She changed her messaging a lot, her campaign was constantly leaking stuff to the media, and as the candidate who started as the "electable progressive" she backed away from her original stance on M4A quicker than anyone.

She was lobbed a softball about Pete's SC slipup and failed to do anything with it. Instead she pushed really hard on the "Trump should be suspended from Twitter for violating terms of service" thing, which I can't imagine matters to a broad part of the electorate. She changed her messaging a lot, her campaign was constantly leaking stuff to the media, and as the candidate who started as the "electable progressive" she backed away from her original stance on M4A quicker than anyone.

All good Quality moves for someone accepting the reality that they're going to be a VP (or AG).

I like how that npr article portrayed his progressive roots of talking to Oxford buddies who now work for big law firms and hedge funds. Fun!

Shame on them for being successful. Does making a decent living invalidate one's progressive credentials?

not speaking specifically to this scenario because I don't know the reference, but how you make your money to become successful definitely matters to your progressive credentials

Shame on them for being successful. Does making a decent living invalidate one's progressive credentials?

Without addressing the original MHB point, as I've committed not to talking badly about other candidates, you are as a candidate who your base/supporters are. Class solidarity is real.

And since she's out of the race and I can talk shit:

Kamala finally found something she couldn't lock up!

Without addressing the original MHB point, as I've committed not to talking badly about other candidates, you are as a candidate who your base/supporters are. Class solidarity is real.

So Donald Trump is a salt of the earth farmer who goes to church three times a week.

Bernie Sanders is a 20 year barista.

Biden is a 55 year old Black woman who goes to the GHOE every year.

Seems like a tangled argument to make to get around the fact Pete is by far the least wealthy person in the Dem field.

Some context on timing:

Personally it bothered me not in the least that Harris was a prosecutor.

We do need them.

I think she came off in the debates as inadequately prepared (or unable to articulate well/winsomely her positions) and maybe a little whiny.

So Donald Trump is a salt of the earth farmer who goes to church three times a week.

Bernie Sanders is a 20 year barista.

Biden is a 55 year old Black woman who goes to the GHOE every year.

Seems like a tangled argument to make to get around the fact Pete is by far the least wealthy person in the Dem field.

No I'm not saying you as a person are similar to the people you appeal to. I mean what your campaign represents are the interests of the people in your base. Ask the average Biden supporter what they like about Joe's policies and they'd sound pretty similar to the average Trump supporter "I trust him/I like how he speaks his mind/I saw him on TV," maybe with a little "he can beat Trump" mixed in. I'm edging towards violating my rule here, but Kamala didn't fail because a bunch of billionaires joined the race and she didn't take PAC/billionaire money, she failed because the second her poll numbers tanked, all her billionaire support went to Pete. Kamala actually had a great deal of Dem establishment support, and the establishment will likely follow to Pete or Warren after this. Next will be Pete picking Kamala for VP or Warren turn to the center or both.

Some context on timing:

No I'm not saying you as a person are similar to the people you appeal to. I mean what your campaign represents are the interests of the people in your base. Ask the average Biden supporter what they like about Joe's policies and they'd sound pretty similar to the average Trump supporter "I trust him/I like how he speaks his mind/I saw him on TV," maybe with a little "he can beat Trump" mixed in. I'm edging towards violating my rule here, but Kamala didn't fail because a bunch of billionaires joined the race and she didn't take PAC/billionaire money, she failed because the second her poll numbers tanked, all her billionaire support went to Pete. Kamala actually had a great deal of Dem establishment support, and the establishment will likely follow to Pete or Warren after this. Next will be Pete picking Kamala for VP or Warren turn to the center or both.

She had a huge opportunity after the first debate, probably the single biggest chance for any Dem nominee to unequivocally take the reins from Biden and be a clear frontrunner to the nomination, and she absolutely butchered it. Once that post-debate bump went away and she fumbled that chance, her leaving the race was inevitable. I am a little surprised that she didn't make it to Iowa, but I am not surprised that she suspended her campaign one bit.

Back