• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Personally it bothered me not in the least that Harris was a prosecutor.

We do need them.

I think she came off in the debates as inadequately prepared (or unable to articulate well/winsomely her positions) and maybe a little whiny.

And unnecessarily went after Obama. There is plenty to attack Joe on without attacking our most recent Dem president who left office with a 57% approval rating. The other thing she did was she moved pretty far left on most of her positions after entering the race. As evidenced by Townie's comments above, progressives were never going to opt for a prosecutor/AG over the life long real things in Sanders and Warren. That essentially left her without a constituency with Biden and to a slightly lesser extent Buttigieg occupying the middle lanes. To me, she and Beto were the most disappointing candidates this election season because they were being talked up as being 2 of the legit contenders last winter. Turned out Beto was an empty suit, and she ran a poor campaign. I've also been a bit surprised that a guy like Booker has gotten almost no traction either.

the only thing she could do well was attack; and that might have been useful in a debate with Trump, but not enough, not enough by a long shot

Compared to dolt 45 she can also articulate answers about policies. All he has is attacks. And lies. Plenty of lies.

And unnecessarily went after Obama. There is plenty to attack Joe on without attacking our most recent Dem president who left office with a 57% approval rating. The other thing she did was she moved pretty far left on most of her positions after entering the race. As evidenced by Townie's comments above, progressives were never going to opt for a prosecutor/AG over the life long real things in Sanders and Warren. That essentially left her without a constituency with Biden and to a slightly lesser extent Buttigieg occupying the middle lanes. To me, she and Beto were the most disappointing candidates this election season because they were being talked up as being 2 of the legit contenders last winter. Turned out Beto was an empty suit, and she ran a poor campaign. I've also been a bit surprised that a guy like Booker has gotten almost no traction either.

Biden put a lot of candidates in a holding pattern hoping he falls off. I think Kamala got tired of waiting.

Today shows one of Obama's mistakes. He should have nominated Harris instead of Garland. Moscow Mitch would have had a tougher time not allowing a vote for a black woman, who had been AG of the most populace state.

Today shows one of Obama's mistakes. He should have nominated Harris instead of Garland. Moscow Mitch would have had a tougher time not allowing a vote for a black woman, who had been AG of the most populace state.

You are hopelessly naive.

I think you can make an argument in hindsight that Harris or any other known, well-liked person would have motivated people to call Republicans on their BS. People weren’t too hung up on Garland and it’s hard to get people hung up on process.

Compare how Dems responded to Mitch stonewalling Garland to how Republicans responded to the open seat and Kavanaugh hearings.

Biden probably would have gone for the hug first.

Great response by Warren. Her and Pete have delivered some great one on one responses during the campaign.

Personally it bothered me not in the least that Harris was a prosecutor.

We do need them.

That's not specifically disqualifying, no. Doesn't mean we can't make cop jokes. Klobuchar was also a prosecutor. Biden wrote the crime bill. If you're serious about criminal justice reform, which Kamala started to run on towards the end, you do have to try and make a judgment call about whether or not you believe them, their motivations, how they'll go about making fixes, etc.

I think what's disappointing is that, for whatever I didn't like about Kamala, she was a much better candidate than Steyer or Bloomberg or anyone else who paid their way in and is able to stay in because of that. Campaign finance laws are pretty messed up, and it's hard to run a grassroots/no PAC style campaign unless you're running on a populist platform like Bernie or AOC.

...I think what's disappointing is that, for whatever I didn't like about Kamala, she was a much better candidate than Steyer or Bloomberg or anyone else who paid their way in and is able to stay in because of that. Campaign finance laws are pretty messed up, and it's...

impossible to run a successful presidential campaign without being able to raise, or access, a lot of money.

Yep.

"Sure, there was a time! Back on the sandlot the Bay Street boys and I used to see who could last the longest huffing the tailpipe of Shortstop Johnny's dad's '57 Fairlane. Well I'll tell you, I'm proud I set that record and they started calling me Carbon Mo' Joe! But Coach Matthew, he just refused to use the nickname, and it broke my heart. Come here, dear, give me a chest bump."

Back