• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

And in Warren's plan to pay for it, there is ALOT of magical cost savings and other fluff that really doesn't pass the smell test.

What? I'm saying that Pete is telling his supporters what Republicans tell their supporters. Regardless of whether you think that Pete is portraying himself as a deficit hawk, he is signaling to his supporters that he will be and that his primary opponents are fiscally irresponsible.

My point is really clear, man. You're the one splitting hairs. Pete is moving to the right in his rhetoric months before the election. That's been my point since he started pulling this shit before the last debate. Whether this move is reflective of his "actual" politics (and he actually is a DINO) or is a cynical strategy to siphon off voters from Warren/Sanders/Biden - I don't know and, frankly, don't care. He's not my ideal candidate. I don't have to love him, but I'll vote for him in November if, heaven forbid, he gets the nomination.

Pete is telling his supporters conventional wisdom that's just been accepted as truth. He's not promoting GOP talking points. He's saying that's conventional wisdom and Democrats need to aggressively change it. He's challenging what prior administrations have done which is to be fiscally responsible without claiming the narrative.

I agree that Pete changed his rhetoric to move into the wide lane between Warren and Biden. But his policies and overall approach haven't changed. He's always tried to have a wide appeal. Now that he's taking on specific candidates, he has to do what primary candidates always do (and I generally don't like) by blowing up minor differences between himself and other Democrats.

Last edited:
I think Pete is showing that he will be much more flexible when he would have to moderate his progressive policies to actually get anything passed. Bernie's base is mostly true believers. What's would happen when he didn't get anything enacted? It wouldn't be pretty.

The Republican political narrative is that only Republicans care about the deficit and debt.

They shout it over and over as they blow holes in the deficit.

Pete is telling his supporters conventional wisdom that's just been accepted as truth. He's not promoting GOP talking points. He's saying that's conventional wisdom and Democrats need to aggressively change it. He's challenging what prior administrations have done which is to be fiscally responsible without claiming the narrative.

I agree that Pete changed his rhetoric to move into the wide lane between Warren and Biden. But his policies and overall approach haven't changed. He's always tried to have a wide appeal. Now that he's taking on specific candidates, he has to do what primary candidates always do (and I generally don't like) by blowing up minor differences between himself and other Democrats.

Conventional wisdom that's just been accepted as truth, huh. I'll let somebody else engage with that point. It seems like we understand each other.

Ph, what other primary candidate is running a negative campaign right now? To my knowledge, the list was Castro, O'Rourke, Buttigieg, and Klobuchar. O'Rourke is gone, and Castro and Klobuchar should drop out soon, so that leaves Pete from what I can tell. I don't like Joe Biden or Cory Booker, but they have both run positive campaigns promoting party unity primarily against Trump. The same goes for Sanders and Warren, promoting party unity towards restoring American social mobility. Of the so-called front runners, it's only Pete who I see defining himself negatively relative to other candidates.

You and I have different definitions of negative campaigning. Pointing out policy differences isn’t negative. It’s over specific and largely unnecessary but not negative. I don’t think anybody is negative campaigning yet at least among the candidates themselves. The only ad I’ve seen going after a candidate for non policy reasons was the recent Booker ad and I thought that was a good ad that was favorable for him and Pete.

And in Warren's plan to pay for it, there is ALOT of magical cost savings and other fluff that really doesn't pass the smell test.

Doesn't need to pass the smell test. Does it pass the math test? Asking for a friend.

I'm disappointed that we have not had a parody show up as PeteHDeac. He could pretend he's "not mayor pete" but loves all of ph's posts about the mayor.

This. Warren moved heaven and earth to show her plans won't add to the deficit and no one questioned her progressive bonafides. Pete's just saying we should change the party rep to fit what Dems are already doing.

Warren caved to the HOW WILL WE PAY FOR IT crowd and then changed her whole course negotiating against herself with her two step plan to M4A. Pete literally suggested Dems should try to be more fiscally responsible, a position traditionally not taken by this party, and for other reasons I listed, high profile conservative candidates and politicians are staking out the world over. That’s why at this political moment it’s drawing ire.

Ill simplify and once again reiterate I think we’re in a complete climate crisis that will threaten life on earth in my children’s lifetime unless drastic measures are taken. If our focus now is on austerity we are going to burn this planet down. I’m glad you are comforted by a return to normalcy but I simply am not.

Fuckin done with Dems. You’re addicted to doing the GOP’s job for them. You all deserve four more years of Trump. Fuck’s sake.

So salty. Take a deep breath and remember we are (mostly) all on a similar page. People are clinging "to the middle" because change is scary.

No one deserves another damn day of trump as president. Not even the idiot's that voted for him.

Also, i do not yet have a preferred candidate but i think that if the dems were to take the senate (not likely) it will be on the backs of progressive candidates in the house and senate. Those progressive bills will land on joe or pete's desk and he'll sign them.

You can have big changes without scaring the public and get to your desired end results smoother.

Warren caved to the HOW WILL WE PAY FOR IT crowd and then changed her whole course negotiating against herself with her two step plan to M4A. Pete literally suggested Dems should try to be more fiscally responsible, a position traditionally not taken by this party, and for other reasons I listed, high profile conservative candidates and politicians are staking out the world over. That’s why at this political moment it’s drawing ire.

Ill simplify and once again reiterate I think we’re in a complete climate crisis that will threaten life on earth in my children’s lifetime unless drastic measures are taken. If our focus now is on austerity we are going to burn this planet down. I’m glad you are comforted by a return to normalcy but I simply am not.

You’re going crazy, man. Democrats have been the fiscally responsible party for decades. You’re taking the GOP position you claim Pete is taking by saying it’s not a traditional position. And equating fiscal responsibility to austerity? Damn dude. You should try math or at least remembering that raising taxes exists. Even using Republican language “tax and spend” is more fiscally responsible than just spend.

Also, i do not yet have a preferred candidate but i think that if the dems were to take the senate (not likely) it will be on the backs of progressive candidates in the house and senate. Those progressive bills will land on joe or pete's desk and he'll sign them.

I am not sure why you think that is the case. The battleground to win the senate is in moderate states. Firebrand progressives aren't going to win battleground state senate races.

Exactly. And I think Pete has longer coattails than other candidates.

People are getting worked up because a new person is challenging their candidate. They’d be fine with Pete if he was running in a state election. But how dare he not pave the way for Bernie!!!!

I am not sure why you think that is the case. The battleground to win the senate is in moderate states. Firebrand progressives aren't going to win battleground state senate races.

I don't mean that progressives will win those senate seats. However, there is a lot of progressive momentum in a lot of places around the country and it would result in more progressive agendas coming to the forefront over all.

Back