• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

With regards to race? No i think they were way worse.

The fact that there is even a discussion about a sociologically evil premise between 250 years ago and today shows how depraved and disgusting the GOP has allowed itself to become

Jeebus, a couple of terrible Mason-Dixon polls out this morning in VA and FL. Both have Biden narrowly beating Trump and Trump beating the other 3. Trump's numbers have generally been rising over the last month or 2. He was hovering in the 41% range and is now back up in the 43-44% range. His numbers in swing state polls have been improving as well. Who knew treason could be good for one's poll numbers? FWIW, I had been thinking that VA would be a very tough get for Trump and FL just as tough for the Dem nominee. But the FL numbers are very similar to VA's and only a couple of points below VA's for the 4 Dems.

Or how crazy y'all are.

Let's see what the GOP has done or tried to do:

Killed the Voters Right Act
Supported a Muslim ban
Supported family separation and racist immigration policies
Supported purging voting lists of overwhelmingly minority people
Has a proud racist as #1 policy maker in WH who while working in WH is still retweeting and liking some of the most racist websites and groups
Cutting over 700,000 people from Food Stamps
Wants to cut people from Section 8
Under GOP leadership hate crimes are way up
#3 person in House GOP leadership calls himself, "David Duke without the baggage"

There's much more, but facts have no place in your world. Of course, you will try to say "whatabout" rather than admitting the obvious.

The Dems will show their weakness again by not spending tens of millions on GOTV in black and Hispanic communities to create the largest minority turnout in US history. It is critical for our society to get rid of Trump.

Jeebus, a couple of terrible Mason-Dixon polls out this morning in VA and FL. Both have Biden narrowly beating Trump and Trump beating the other 3. Trump's numbers have generally been rising over the last month or 2. He was hovering in the 41% range and is now back up in the 43-44% range. His numbers in swing state polls have been improving as well. Who knew treason could be good for one's poll numbers? FWIW, I had been thinking that VA would be a very tough get for Trump and FL just as tough for the Dem nominee. But the FL numbers are very similar to VA's and only a couple of points below VA's for the 4 Dems.

It could easily come to if the Dems are willing to destroy Trump. There is no excuse not to have a $10M budget starting in late-January for social media to tell the truth and do other things to piss Trump off EVERY SINGLE DAY. Use his own methodology against him. He has no ability not to respond.

You don't go to war using your fingers as guns and win. But Dems historically have been the whine and cheese party and theoretically "above" doing it the "Chicago Way".

As long as the economy stays good it's going to be very tough for any Democrat to beat Trump, at least in the electoral vote, imo. He's got a massive war chest, powerful propaganda organs in Fox News, Fox Business, Breitbart, Facebook, etc., and a base that will work overtime to get him another term. I don't see him taking VA, but Florida is a real possibility as he won it last time, and the 2018 FL Senate and Governor elections (both Democrats were ahead in the polls right up to election day, I believe) have left me pessimistic about the Dem's chances there. I still think Trump will lose the national popular vote again, possibly by even more than last time. But currently he's got a real edge in the Electoral College, and it's going to be hard for any Democratic candidate to beat him - not impossible, and he's definitely vulnerable, but anyone who thinks beating Trump will or should be easy is fooling themselves.

I agree with this. It would take something major for a Dem to get FL. I don’t think it’s worth it for Dems to pour resources into Miami, Tampa, or Orlando like it is to go hard in Philly, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and Detroit especially without a senate or Governor race on the ballot.

As long as the economy stays good it's going to be very tough for any Democrat to beat Trump, at least in the electoral vote, imo. He's got a massive war chest, powerful propaganda organs in Fox News, Fox Business, Breitbart, Facebook, etc., and a base that will work overtime to get him another term. I don't see him taking VA, but Florida is a real possibility as he won it last time, and the 2018 FL Senate and Governor elections (both Democrats were ahead in the polls right up to election day, I believe) have left me pessimistic about the Dem's chances there. I still think Trump will lose the national popular vote again, possibly by even more than last time. But currently he's got a real edge in the Electoral College, and it's going to be hard for any Democratic candidate to beat him - not impossible, and he's definitely vulnerable, but anyone who thinks beating Trump will or should be easy is fooling themselves.

Agree with most of what you say. I posted that poll because I thought it was interesting for 2 reasons - first that the states were only a couple of points apart, and second because it tends to dispel the thought that VA is out of Trump's reach. Now, it's just 1 poll. But Mason-Dixon is a respected pollster that 538 says has a slightly red house effect. The other thing that was kinda interesting is that Buttigieg was losing to Trump, though not as badly as Sanders and Warren in either state. The reason that's interesting is he hadn't been doing well in polls in southern states, so those numbers are actually slightly encouraging for him. And Warren was last in the FL poll, and Sanders last in the VA poll, which both make sense because VA is less populist with a high college educated population.

I agree with this. It would take something major for a Dem to get FL. I don’t think it’s worth it for Dems to pour resources into Miami, Tampa, or Orlando like it is to go hard in Philly, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and Detroit especially without a senate or Governor race on the ballot.

I largely agree that FL should not be a state of emphasis in terms of blue spending generally. But where to spend money should also depend on who the nominee is. If it's Warren or Sanders, spend it all in the midwest and nothing below VA or in AZ. If it's Buttigieg, not south of VA but spend in NV and AZ, where he polls fairly well. And if it's Biden, then it's more justified to spend in states like NC and FL - maybe GA too if Abrams is running for senate.

The numbers at this point are kind of questionable in that some Dems are mad at other Dems which gives Trump a slight bump. Conversely, the numbers in TX and FL don't seem real. FL may have a shot if they get out the vote of minorities, but that's it.

The numbers at this point are kind of questionable in that some Dems are mad at other Dems which gives Trump a slight bump. Conversely, the numbers in TX and FL don't seem real. FL may have a shot if they get out the vote of minorities, but that's it.

Hillary lost FL by just over 1%. It's almost always the state that is within reach but ends up being a narrow loss.

Republicans win almost every major race by 1.5% or less. Rick Scott won his three races by a combined 2.3% about 140K votes. It’s painfully close.

Agree with most of what you say. I posted that poll because I thought it was interesting for 2 reasons - first that the states were only a couple of points apart, and second because it tends to dispel the thought that VA is out of Trump's reach. Now, it's just 1 poll. But Mason-Dixon is a respected pollster that 538 says has a slightly red house effect. The other thing that was kinda interesting is that Buttigieg was losing to Trump, though not as badly as Sanders and Warren in either state. The reason that's interesting is he hadn't been doing well in polls in southern states, so those numbers are actually slightly encouraging for him. And Warren was last in the FL poll, and Sanders last in the VA poll, which both make sense because VA is less populist with a high college educated population.

It bears watching to see if the new Dem majorities in the VA legislature overplay their hand, further stoking the anxiety of Trump voters, and those who might vote for him, evidenced by the Second Amendment Sanctuary movement.

Hillary lost FL by just over 1%. It's almost always the state that is within reach but ends up being a narrow loss.

That was before the cult of Trump took as big a hold.

Dems need to get out the black and non-Cuban Hispanic votes.

It bears watching to see if the new Dem majorities in the VA legislature overplay their hand, further stoking the anxiety of Trump voters, and those who might vote for him, evidenced by the Second Amendment Sanctuary movement.

First, do you worry about Pub majorities overplaying their hand and stoking the anxiety of liberals? Probably not.

Second, conservatives fueled by constant anxiety so it really doesn’t matter what Dems actually do. Obama could have passed the Keep Your Gun bill and conservatives would have been scared Obama was going to take their guns.

First, do you worry about Pub majorities overplaying their hand and stoking the anxiety of liberals? Probably not.

Second, conservatives fueled by constant anxiety so it really doesn’t matter what Dems actually do. Obama could have passed the Keep Your Gun bill and conservatives would have been scared Obama was going to take their guns.

That’s basically what happened during his 8 years. He did absolutely nothing to restrict gun rights, and the rubes bought up everything in they could in fear he’d make them have to work out their issues and get erections through human contact instead.

We're talking about people - Trump's base - who firmly controlled every branch of the federal government from 2017 to 2019 and dominated state governorships and legislatures, and yet they still portrayed themselves as victims who were under siege by The Swamp and an overbearing librul establishment. If the worst nightmares of liberals came true and Trump was reelected in November, the GOP retook the House and kept the Senate, the Democrats virtually collapsed and could offer no effective political opposition, the GOP added 1 or 2 more justices to the Supreme Court, and the Court overturned Roe v. Wade and other progressive landmark rulings, I have little doubt that these people would still see themselves as persecuted victims of an overbearing liberal elite. They literally look for reasons to be pissed and victimized, and are the original snowflakes. They seem to see themselves as the last bulwark of decency in a sick and decadent world that is arrayed against them, and they will not be swayed from that view. Political defeats only make them angrier and more paranoid, and while victories give them a chance to gloat and taunt any liberals they know (or don't know on social media), it doesn't seem to sway their victim complex at all.

If you're asking whether the thought keeps me up at night, I'm one of those creatures who follows politics but is not a political person. My perspective is that the "Pub majorities" may have overstepped and caused the 2019 flip of the legislature. They didn't have a working majority but, at times, acted as though they did. The punting on even considering gun control legislation last Summer was not a good look. With the openings provided by the missteps of the governor and AG, taking a higher road might have been a winning strategy.

Too late - they already have. SB16, sponsored by Dick Saslaw, originally forbade the possession of assault weapons by Virginia citizens. No doubt much of the rest of the bill would rile the more conservative Virginians, but outright outlawing weapons deemed to be assault weapons (and making possession a felony) has created a firestorm and is probably responsible for some if not much of the sanctuary movement. A Democratic state rep didn't help matters by suggesting that the governor might have to nationalize the National Guard to enforce gun control laws. The possession parts of SB 16 have apparently been deleted, but the damage is done.

Back