• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Here comes the race to the “center-far left” move from Harris and Klobuchar to head off Biden’s attempt to be the adult in the room.

Bernie,Beto,Booker and Warren will cannibalize one another.

I expect that more wreckage will result and that who ever emerges will be badly mangled.

I can’t wait :)

Here comes the race to the “center-far left” move from Harris and Klobuchar to head off Biden’s attempt to be the adult in the room.

Bernie,Beto,Booker and Warren will cannibalize one another.

I expect that more wreckage will result and that who ever emerges will be badly mangled.

I can’t wait :)

The last thing I want is for the Dems to follow the Pubs' tea party whack job example, but if they do, then the last people that should be throwing stones are Republicans.

The right is already off the deep end, so it's annoying that the Dems are the ones that have to pull their dumbasses out of the pool.

Klobuchar has a pretty obvious route to the nomination. She’s a very popular Democrat in a fairly purple state, she was excellent in the Kavanaugh hearings so she has the “stand up to the swamp” box checked, her state borders Iowa so she could get off to a surprisingly good start pretty easily and gain momentum, and the worst thing that anyone has been able to uncover about her is that she might be a mean boss (which has its own misogynistic whiffs).

But running as a “pragmatist” is just openly asking for any liberal voter to reject you. Young Democrats don’t want a pragmatist, they want ambition.

There are certainly locations in the U.S. where $45K/yr, employer-provided health benefits, and no significant debt can get you a middle class lifestyle, even with two kids. Most people (and most jobs that pay $45k/year) aren’t in those locations.
This was in the triad MSA. More people live in lower population areas then that i would guess.

Just remember when you're on the phone for 3 hours with your doctor and health insurance company attempting to get a prescription approved, and you're starting to get upset, that you don't want to make a big deal or otherwise you're the new tea party.

I can't comprehend the perspective of any conscious person who would compare the American left with the Tea Party.

Sorry if I offended. Tell me more about the debt free 2 child 45k middle class, i'm intrigued.

Yeah. CL, you should write a book about her. Her wisdom (or your wisdom as her accountant) should be shared with the world. Perhaps she should run for President and be the working class hero we need.

This was in the triad MSA. More people live in lower population areas then that i would guess.

It’s about 50/50. Roughly 180 million live in CSAs more popular than the Triad. And as of 5 or 6 years ago, Winston had one of the cheapest costs of living relative to its size. The Triad is probably one of the few places in the country where $45K/yr jobs are relatively easy to get and capable of buying a middle class life style for a family of three (assuming you are debt free).

I think the big questions for Bernie are:

1. How well will his 2016 coalition hold up in the face of numerous well-known candidates running further to the left than Hillary did in 2016?

2. Did he solve his intersectionality problem?

3. Will his age be a factor?

4. Is his position on guns going to be a bigger deal this time around?

I'm just going to move to Greensboro and be rich as shit.

On second thought, no I'm not.

My post was about Biden, Ph asked me about PSA, and I answered him honestly. I get harranged every time I give an answer that goes against the liberal consensus here, but that doesnt mean I'm going to back down. I figure my anger with Democrats is so well known at this point that people would learn to stop poking at it. I'm willing and ready to civilly discuss the current goings on with the candidates whenever you all get back on topic.
It is what it is, man. I'm not gonna back down when people wind me up or call me a liar.
if i didn't know any better i'd ask who was giving rj literacy lessons

Klobuchar has a pretty obvious route to the nomination. She’s a very popular Democrat in a fairly purple state, she was excellent in the Kavanaugh hearings so she has the “stand up to the swamp” box checked, her state borders Iowa so she could get off to a surprisingly good start pretty easily and gain momentum, and the worst thing that anyone has been able to uncover about her is that she might be a mean boss (which has its own misogynistic whiffs).

But running as a “pragmatist” is just openly asking for any liberal voter to reject you. Young Democrats don’t want a pragmatist, they want ambition.

Are you saying young Dems aren't pragmatic?

I hope all Dems realize that, even if we keep the house and get the presidency, we'll still be legislating with a likely Pub senate. (Even if it's 50/50, an unlikely best case scenario, it ain't a filibuster proof majority.) There will be no M4A or New Green Deal getting passed - at least not until you have some Pubs on board. The most we can hope for in 2020-24 is a more sane and traditional foreign policy, a patch on the ACA, no tariff wars and maybe some criminal justice reform and/or pot legalization.

I hope all Dems realize that, even if we keep the house and get the presidency, we'll still be legislating with a likely Pub senate. (Even if it's 50/50, an unlikely best case scenario, it ain't a filibuster proof majority.) There will be no M4A or New Green Deal getting passed - at least not until you have some Pubs on board. The most we can hope for in 2020-24 is a more sane and traditional foreign policy, a patch on the ACA, no tariff wars and maybe some criminal justice reform and/or pot legalization.

Democrats will get rid of the fllibuster eventually. And they should. There will be times like 2016-2018 when they have no control and they'll feel the burn of having done it, but the left has no hope of moving this country in the right direction unless the way the Senate is run fundamentally changes.

He's got to be a tough guy to grow up gay with the last name that looks like Butt Gig.

No I'm saying young Democrats aren't going to be enthusiastic about giving you a primary vote if your best argument is "I'm pragmatic" (say it in your head like Palin said, "I'm a maverick," you'll see what I mean). No millennial voter that I know, including myself, wants to be told, "Well, I get that you want Medicare for All, the Green New Deal, voting rights measures, income equality measures, but we can't pragmatically do that. Vote for me!"

I am fully aware that the Senate will block everything from here to kingdom come. But I would much rather have, and I think most millennial Democratic voters would rather have, a President that works with a Democratic House to offer up bold, progressive measures that could mean everything to future generations and have Republicans go on record voting against it. There is nothing exciting about pragmatism, even though the President from 2021-2025 will likely have to be pragmatic in their ambitions. But starting out on that square is just conceding the stage to the GOP.

To aim at getting anything good accomplished, especially enduringly so, in today's political climate seems likely to require pragmatism. And would be ambitious.

Unfortunately.

Thx Pubs.

Back