• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Primary

The default and starting point should be "I am not going to initiate any physical contact so that I don't accidentally violate anyone's personal boundaries." There should be nothing to stop because it shouldn't start in the first place, especially in a professional setting. We've had decades (centuries) of women feeling like they have to endure unwanted hugs and kisses and touching because "that's just they way it's done" and they've been afraid to say something. You are missing the point that this shit has always been unwanted but society (i.e., men) is finally coming around to the awareness of it. It's not PC run amok, it's respect for personal boundaries as a basic and universal starting point.

The accusations were from years ago.

No it isn't only men. I've been hugged, touch on the shoulder and pecked on the cheek by women almost all my life. Was I being sexually assaulted?

W7xogHR.jpg

choose your fighter.

Another person trying to rationalize voting for Trump's hate or voting for Trump via a third party or not voting.

Why are you trying to insult other people into voting for someone they don't want?

The accusations were from years ago.

No it isn't only men. I've been hugged, touch on the shoulder and pecked on the cheek by women almost all my life. Was I being sexually assaulted?

I really don’t know what to say to this. If you didn’t want that old Italian lady to hug you and she did it anyway then yes it was harassment. The default should be not touching other people. Just assume they don’t want you touching them and everyone will be fine.

This is a nonevent only because Biden’s opponent is a probably rapist and admitted sexual assailant. Sucks.

Or another person who hasn't reduced their political calculus to the most simplistic level possible and thus is able to criticize both candidates for their faults without scruple or paranoid accusations of implicit Trump support.

Truth is, RJ is correct about some Southern European cultures culturally being "touchy feely" in that 'Old Country' way.

That's still not a defense though. In fact, it makes the opposite argument as much as anything:
Cultures can change.

If Biden (definitely not one of my first four choices), the next 30-40 years will be a disaster of epic of proportions. Trump will destroy this country. If he's acted like this while worrying about being re-elected, think of how out of control he'll be for the next four years. All of the gains in civil rights, LGTBTQ rights, women's rights will be gone. There will be trade wars and a judiciary that will be totally out of control.

Why am I insulting some people? To try to save their futures.

Well shit RJ, which fucking age cohort spent four decades paving the damn road to that?
Just asking.

Truth is, RJ is correct about some Southern European cultures culturally being "touchy feely" in that 'Old Country' way.

That's still not a defense though. In fact, it makes the opposite argument as much as anything:
Cultures can change.

Nor should you judge people for doing something that was accepted (and not done in a way to create superiority) in a different time. There were no negative intentions by Biden or men or women of that era acting in a friendly way. We aren't talking grabbing someone's ass or tits or anything that was about force or sex.

Before you guys keep attacking, at Wake I helped get the first woman of color to win Homecoming Queen, the first woman elected Wake student body president, went to South Africa during apartheid and much more. Swinging to an equally far extreme in pursuit of a goal does hurt reaching your goal.

If he keeps on doing it, it's one thing, but he's not.

The default and starting point should be "I am not going to initiate any physical contact so that I don't accidentally violate anyone's personal boundaries." There should be nothing to stop because it shouldn't start in the first place, especially in a professional setting. We've had decades (centuries) of women feeling like they have to endure unwanted hugs and kisses and touching because "that's just they way it's done" and they've been afraid to say something. You are missing the point that this shit has always been unwanted but society (i.e., men) is finally coming around to the awareness of it. It's not PC run amok, it's respect for personal boundaries as a basic and universal starting point.

The other thing is that what RJ is describing is a personal setting, which requires much different judgment than the professional setting that Biden was in. RJ's job won't be threatened if he pulls away from "mama's" embrace-not saying that Biden would have fired someone for refusing a hug, but the women in those situations could never be sure of that and don't have the freedom to say no.

The other thing is that what RJ is describing is a personal setting, which requires much different judgment than the professional setting that Biden was in. RJ's job won't be threatened if he pulls away from "mama's" embrace-not saying that Biden would have fired someone for refusing a hug, but the women in those situations could never be sure of that and don't have the freedom to say no.
No shit.
He, and other "centrist Democrats" around here, are just plain whistling past the elephant graveyard.
It's the damn power dynamics.
A vulnerable underling working for powerful, wealthy influential man isn't going to historically say anything that might remotely jeopardize the underling's position.
Jesus Christ.
But times are changing fast; that crap doesn't fly as far anymore.

There's NO evidence of Biden firing anyone or demanding such treatment.

No wonder Republicans win. Dems look for any excuse to eat their own and rationalize letting Republicans win because the Dem isn't perfect.

Of all the things Joe Biden is, he ain't the sexual predator the Russians are promoting him to be and you guys are helping them to re-elect Trump.

It’s not just some Southern European cultures. Physical greetings are common among many cultures. Some people in those cultures have felt uncomfortable for generations because some people don’t like being touched as a culture norm. No doubt coronavirus is bringing a reassessment of those norms.

So what new information have we learned about Biden? He’s an touchy guy in a nonsexual way who has changed his ways when publicly reprimanded for doing so. One allegation of sexual misconduct has been investigated.

The whole issue of Biden with touching women's hair and backs to make them feel uncomfortable has been adjucated in the public sphere and he paid what the populace thought was the proper political penalty. A mea culpa where he's admitted that social mores have changed and he would change his behavior.

Same way it wouldn't be appropriate in the current times to write some weird rape fantasy and have it publicly distributed.

It’s not just some Southern European cultures. Physical greetings are common among many cultures. Some people in those cultures have felt uncomfortable for generations because some people don’t like being touched as a culture norm. No doubt coronavirus is bringing a reassessment of those norms.

So what new information have we learned about Biden? He’s an touchy guy in a nonsexual way who has changed his ways when publicly reprimanded for doing so. One allegation of sexual misconduct has been investigated.

posts like this suggest that we’ve already lost

damn

Back