• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

In his early 90s my dad was tending to his garden on his tractor, let alone shopping for his groceries. We do have some unabashed ageists here.

Not making an assumption about your dad, but regarding the current rhetorical consensus on aging politicians - medical and cognitive stats on aging hardly ever account for economic background or genetic background. Healthy and wealthy people, who haven’t suffered chronic stresses and traumas in their life, often live very long lives with very gradual cognitive declines.

They’re desperately trying to recreate Hillary‘s emails.

The Biden campaign is hosting a fundraiser with some of the Avengers cast. The Biden campaign, Wisconsin Democrats, and other Dem groups have been killing it with these celebrity fundraisers. I did the Hamilton cast one on Friday and it was fun.

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/b...ount=75&amounts=50,75,100,125&F1_S2_C1__full=

Chip in any amount to join the cast of the Avengers and Senator Kamala Harris as they unite for Democracy!

Join Don Cheadle, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Paul Rudd, Mark Ruffalo and Zoe Saldana for Q&A and trivia hosted by The Russo Brothers.

You can catch it exclusively on Tuesday, October 20th at 6:45 p.m. ET.

This is a good way to counter the $100K a plate Super PAC fundraisers on the right.

How is the Wisconsin Dems getting all these set up? They got a connection or is the DNC concentrating all efforts there? Would love for NC Dems to do something.

How is the Wisconsin Dems getting all these set up? They got a connection or is the DNC concentrating all efforts there? Would love for NC Dems to do something.

Would be nice, but in my experience the NC Democratic Party organization often doesn't seem able to tie their own shoes, much less pull off something cool like that. One problem for NC Dems for years has been the clear superiority of the NC Republican Party organization. To be fair, the NC GOP has had much deeper pockets to hire top political talent over the past fifteen or so years, thanks to guys like Art Pope. Whatever success the NC Democrats have had in the past decade, like Cooper's election in 2016, is more due to the personal efforts and abilities of the candidates themselves rather than to help from the state party organization.

Yep. You’d think NC Dems could build off the success of the NBA efforts. They could set up virtual dunk and three point contests between UNC and State alums for example. I think there will be a more established industry for this stuff in 2022 pandemic or not.

Yep. You’d think NC Dems could build off the success of the NBA efforts. They could set up virtual dunk and three point contests between UNC and State alums for example. I think there will be a more established industry for this stuff in 2022 pandemic or not.

Welp, guess I’m a Republican now.

I have a friend who works on the Biden campaign who got us an invite to a small event Biden did in Durham this afternoon. Was very cool to be part of it. My wife and I voted early after then hit Hi-Wire for a couple beers on this spectacular fall day. Feeling good.

That’s awesome.

GOP gonna successfully impeach Biden over the meh Burisma shit in 2022

I have a friend who works on the Biden campaign who got us an invite to a small event Biden did in Durham this afternoon. Was very cool to be part of it. My wife and I voted early after then hit Hi-Wire for a couple beers on this spectacular fall day. Feeling good.

Saw he got some shakes at cookout!

No, but you have correctly predicted the inevitable mid-term losses.

I don’t think it’s inevitable. If there is a blue wave, Dems will redraw gerrymandered districts. A lot of typical Pub BS in traditional and social media. won’t work anymore. Tea Party type movements won’t be treated as legitimate grassroots organizing. There will be some losses due to normal backlash. But the 2022 senate map is horrible for Republicans. The Dem incumbents are from very blue states and Republicans will be trying to hold swing states and emerging purple states like FL, NC, SC, GA, AZ, WI, IA, and PA.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s inevitable. If there is a blue wave, Dems will redraw gerrymandered districts. A lot of typical Pub BS won’t work anymore. Tea Party type movements won’t be treated as legitimate grassroots organizing. There will be some losses the 2022 senate map is horrible for Republicans. The Dem incumbents are from very blue states and Republicans will be trying to hold swing states and emerging purple states like FL, NC, SC, GA, AZ, WI, IA, and PA.

Two of those seats (NC and PA) will have retiring Republican senators, and another (GA) will have a senator who has only served for two years, so they won’t have the typical incumbent advantages.

Has Chuck Grassley announced whether he is running for re-election? Motherfucker is 87 years old.

I don’t think it’s inevitable. If there is a blue wave, Dems will redraw gerrymandered districts. A lot of typical Pub BS in traditional and social media. won’t work anymore. Tea Party type movements won’t be treated as legitimate grassroots organizing. There will be some losses due to normal backlash. But the 2022 senate map is horrible for Republicans. The Dem incumbents are from very blue states and Republicans will be trying to hold swing states and emerging purple states like FL, NC, SC, GA, AZ, WI, IA, and PA.

While there's no doubt that Democrats have taken a beating at the polls in the first off-year elections after the last two Democrats were elected POTUS (94 after Bill's first election in 92, 2010 after Obama's first election in 2008) it may be different this time for the two reasons you mentioned. If the Democrats pick up a good number of state legislatures and governorships next month as they seem likely to do, they will get to draw most of the House districts around the country for 2022, which will likely limit their losses in the House, and in the Senate the map is terrible for Republicans in 2022, which will also likely limit GOP gains, if they make any. Also, at some point the Democratic base has got to learn that if they don't turn out in off-year elections, simply holding the executive branch won't be enough to accomplish much of anything.

Back