• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

The Collins tweet was sort of unclear but suggested he was going to do 14 rallies over 3 days in PA. Could have meant some of those rallies will be in other states too. Doesn't make sense he'd only focus on PA unless he's hell bent certain he can win other states needed to win.

Wiki (which may not have them all) has 13 rallies over three days, four of which are in PA:

List of post-election Donald Trump rallies

Sunday's stops include Iowa and Georgia.

Maybe the rallies are getting less coverage now but there was a pretty good correlation earlier that the more rallies he did the worse he polled in that state. I’m sure his enablers know his personality can’t hear that so onward he goes.

Same exact situation with Corbyn and Sanders from party establishment. It’s a playbook.

If there’s one thing both parties agree on to the detriment of millions of people in the West Bank, it’s that you aren’t allowed to criticize Israel.

She trots out tropes over and over and over. And it has happened for years. The defense is always the same - oh, I'm just being critical of the state of Israel and want to fight for the rights of all people. But every time she speaks on the topic she uses time honored anti-semetic tropes to do so. Every single time she picks words she knows full well are viewed as anti-Semitic because for years she's been told they are code words for I'm an anti-semite.

It's literally Trump like in its shadiness and double speak. Things like calling into question the allegiance of American Jews to America. Or that American Jews are spending money to make America pledge allegiance to Israel.

It's the type of tropish crap that causes David Duke to say "Omar is right". And it is literally the exact same type of bullshit that Trump says about American Jews. Like when he rather infamously stated "You're not going to support me because I don't want your money. You want to control your politicians."

And the fact you are a staunch defender of such bullshit because it comes out of her mouth and not Trump's is just bizarre.

Words matter. And there is no doubt that when given opportunities time and time again to choose words carefully she turns up the heat on American Jews in ways that are very similar to what guys like Trump do. It's wrong. And the fact you defend it is just bizarre.

DeacMan 🤝 Donald Trump at every rally

“Ilhan Omar is a danger to the American republic”

DeacMan 🤝 Donald Trump at every rally

“Ilhan Omar is a danger to the American republic”

And yet that does not dismiss the fact that Donald Trump, Ilhan Omar and David Duke are very much aligned when it comes to how they characterize and speak about Jewish people in America. And you still persist with this notion that they way Ilhan Omar, over and over and over, chooses her words about Jews in America - timeless tropes that call their "allegiance" to our country into question - is AOK. It hasn't been a one time thing. It dates back a long long time. And you don't want to see it or acknowledge it because you are either aligned with it, you cannot stomach having to acknowledge it is wrong bc that would be admitting she is deeply flawed or both.

That’s not accurate at all. Just filled with falsehoods. You’re not worth engaging with on this topic if you equate their words.

recommended reading for those who didn’t make their mind up in 2012 about Omar: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/09/21/magazine/ilhan-omar-interview.html

Oh, my mind continues to be made up about her. Because her Trumpish bigotry towards American Jews and their "motives" has not stopped. It has continued for years. So here's a host of recommended reading for you. I mean if you really are "woke" it may finally sink in.

https://www.newsweek.com/ilhan-omars-soviet-anti-semitism-opinion-1523749

https://www.newsweek.com/ilhan-omar-tweet-michael-bloomberg-anti-semitism-1470872

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/07/opinion/ilhan-omar-anti-semitism.html

Or her ill fated trip to Israel and Palestine that was backed by the non-profit Miftah (a trip Trump in his ham handed way lobbied to cancel I believe) which seems totally fine per Business Insider -

"Miftah's website has featured praise for Palestinian suicide bombers that have indiscriminately murdered civilians, an anti-Semitic treatise lifted from an American neo-Nazi website, and an article which claimed that the Jews use the blood of Christians during Passover — the eternally deployed "blood libel" against Jews. "

And with all that outside money you reference backing Antone how is it that Omar only targeted her ill words towards three outside donors who all happen to be . . . Jewish. "By deliberately mentioning only Jewish donors by name, painting Mr. Melton-Meaux as being in their 'pocket,' and questioning whether the voters can 'trust Melton-Meaux's money' the campaign flyer risks invoking age-old anti-Semitic myths that wealthy Jews control politicians and the government through money and influence."

And this - it would be useful to see just how what Omar does and what Trump does are both patently offensive to Jews. https://qz.com/1744066/donald-trump-ilhan-omar-and-the-history-of-american-antisemitism/

And most importantly this. https://www.wsj.com/articles/can-ilhan-omar-overcome-her-prejudice-11562970265

Stop appropriating woke, dude, chill. She’s 100% right. You can criticize the money influence of the NRA and oil industry and Wall St and Saudi Arabia and a hundred other interests foreign and domestic but when you criticize AIPAC or anything in the sphere of Israel it’s dog whistling. Just goldfish brain critical thinking.

That’s not accurate at all. Just filled with falsehoods. You’re not worth engaging with on this topic if you equate their words.

Is it. I mean David Duke said "Omar is right" when it comes to her statements about American Jews.

Where are the "falsehoods". Point them out. Donald Trump and Ilhan Omar both make statements that imply American Jews are people whose allegiance is to Israel and who use money to make America pledge allegiance to Israel. And David Duke - at a minimum - has endorsed said statements by noting "Ilhan Omar is right".
Show me how that is false. These are centuries old tropes - not unlike the types of things Hitler used to demonize Jews.

Stop appropriating woke, dude, chill. She’s 100% right. You can criticize the money influence of the NRA and oil industry and Wall St and Saudi Arabia and a hundred other interests foreign and domestic but when you criticize AIPAC or anything in the sphere of Israel it’s dog whistling. Just goldfish brain critical thinking.

Goldfish have memories of about 10 seconds. I'll take my summa cum laude degree from Wake and presume I have a memory that lasts longer than 10 seconds. You really have a lot to learn about why the type of language Omar uses is not ok and how the company she keeps in terms of her behaviors reflects that of many people you do not respect.

Bigotry is not constrained to the right or the left side of the political circle. Stalin and Hitler hated each other and a host of the same peoples. To portend that simply because Omar has a D after her name means she can't be bigoted in her world views is silly. It's ostrich like in its approach to how you see the world.

She could simply say something along the lines of the lobbied interests make America too militaristic in its defense of Israel. And that could then invite a discussion about the militaristic actions of others towards and against Israel and how to navigate those dual problems.

But that isn't how she ever chooses to phrase what she says. Instead we see nothing but age old tropes and passive aggressive statements that enable her to try and skirt on by. It is exactly how Donald Trump behaves towards countless groups, including American Jews.

I've presented you dozens of examples. You are choosing to ignore those and hundreds of years of history. That's on you, not me.

Is it. I mean David Duke said "Omar is right" when it comes to her statements about American Jews.

Where are the "falsehoods". Point them out. Donald Trump and Ilhan Omar both make statements that imply American Jews are people whose allegiance is to Israel and who use money to make America pledge allegiance to Israel. And David Duke - at a minimum - has endorsed said statements by noting "Ilhan Omar is right".
Show me how that is false. These are centuries old tropes - not unlike the types of things Hitler used to demonize Jews.

The fucking United Nations has classified some of Israel’s actions as war crimes but we’re just supposed to ho hum “they’re an important ally” our way forward. She is right, and if she has shitty bedfellows for saying it, that sucks. She’s not calling neo-Nazis very fine people, she’s saying Israel’s right wing govt shouldn’t unquestionably be supported and allowed to influence American politics. She’s very supportive of Jews in America and not of assimilation politics either.

The fucking United Nations has classified some of Israel’s actions as war crimes but we’re just supposed to ho hum “they’re an important ally” our way forward. She is right, and if she has shitty bedfellows for saying it, that sucks. She’s not calling neo-Nazis very fine people, she’s saying Israel’s right wing govt shouldn’t unquestionably be supported and allowed to influence American politics. She’s very supportive of Jews in America and not of assimilation politics either.

That isn't all she's saying Townie. Not at all. It's one thing to say American's foreign policy in the region is too supportive of military aggression towards Palestinians. And that has to come with an acknowledgement that the likes of Hezbollah and Hamas aren't exactly "very fine people" - i.e. you may not want a non-profit that engages in Qanon level bat shit conspiracy theories about Jews sucking blood to sponsor your trip to Israel and Palestine. It's another thing entirely to repeatedly after being coached and making multiple apologies to continue to use tropes questioning allegiance to your home country and buying political power when describing Jewish people.

It is entirely possible to engage in a meaningful and civil debate without debasing to stereotypes that have been used for hundreds of years to demonize Jews.

And the fact you still refuse to see those are two different things is alarming.

Cool

I’m not typically one to play the guitardeac or in this case DeacMan thing but I know Jewish hill staffers, including some who have dined with and invited Ilhan to Seder at their homes. They’ve prayed with her and cherish friendships with her. The content of her heart is not hateful, regardless of the rakes she’s stepped on and apologized for. She could publicize those friendships or turn them into a PR story but she doesn’t do that. And because she doesn’t take big Antone corporate money she isn’t beholden to big Wall St interests either and can spend time caring about her constituents. I think that’s all I’ll say. May be time for an avatar change soon though from one Muslim congressperson to another, worth defending from defamatory stabs from her own party that border on islamophobia.

Back