• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

ha that's not why she got primaried, but she won by 20% anyway

Something tells me I'm more familiar with my own neighborhood, cities like St. Louis Park and the host of people here who endorsed Antone - including people like Andy Luger (well known DFL attorney and former US Attorney for the state), Josie Robertson (civil rights activist), Nekima Levy-Armstrong (former head of the local NAACP), Shep Harris (mayor of Golden Valley) and plenty of other well known DFL members - than you.

Something tells me I'm more familiar with my own neighborhood, cities like St. Louis Park and the host of people here who endorsed Antone - including people like Andy Luger (well known DFL attorney and former US Attorney for the state), Josie Robertson (civil rights activist), Nekima Levy-Armstrong (former head of the local NAACP), Shep Harris (mayor of Golden Valley) and plenty of other well known DFL members - than you.

ok yea i don't know who any of those people are

i do know the DSCC recruited Antone to primary Ilhan with backing from Blackstone and 75% corporate donors and money almost entirely out of the district because she supports M4A and because they know the shitlib playbook for purging the left from the party includes accusations of antisemitism, and the large jewish population in the district is a great test bed for seeding that stuff

here's a counterpoint from your paper https://www.startribune.com/counterpoint-big-political-money-is-behind-challenges-to-omar/571711362/

Stop opening and closing parentheticals with different punctuation marks! Very confusing!

The numbers are saying TX is in play, as hard as that is to believe, and early voting in urban and suburban areas is WAY up. I'm not banking on TX by any means, and neither is the party - they're in states like WI and NC, not TX. Biden isn't making the same mistakes Clinton did, and his team is concentrating on the correct places. That said, I would not be astonished if Biden and/or Hegar were able to pull off the upset in TX. I look at TX as gravy.

Sure, that's great, but I'm still worried.

I bet Trump takes a couple he shouldn't and Biden sneaks in a 1 or 2 unexpecting ones as well. Biden will win a close one and we won't know the final results for 3 weeks.

Sorry if this is Haas:

Some key states like PA don't start counting the mail in ballots until election day, and it takes much longer (as in days) to count the mail in ballots because so many were cast this year because of COVID. Also, polls show that Biden has a huge lead over Trump among mail in voters; while in states like PA, Trump will win the majority of the votes of those who vote in person. So, on election night, Trump may (is likely to) hold leads in states like PA, while mail-in votes are still pending, and of course, if that happens, Trump will declare victory knowing: a) Biden will crush among the still be counted mail in ballots; b) declaring victory, will get his base fired up and ready to cause havoc, if the election "is stolen" by those "fraudulent" mail in ballots. Unless Trump loses some key traditionally red states that make the mail-in ballot counting a non-issue, determining the winner is going to drag out, be litigious and be ugly.

Last edited:
Sure, that's great, but I'm still worried.

We're all worried to some extent. But look at it this way. The polls say it's a 7-9% race, so Biden should win by at least 6%. Nate and 538 had Hillary as having only a 70% chance of winning, and they're at 89% now with Biden. Early voting is WAY up. He's consistently up by > 3-4% in swing states like MI, AZ, WI and PA. That should net him at least 290 EVs even if he loses each toss-up state. I have 3 worries. First, the EC will minimize what should be closer to a blowout win, and possibly even allow Trump to steal it (by losing PA & AZ or PA and Omaha for that 269-269 loss). Second, GA and FL always worry me with potential election shenanigans. And third, Barrett as conservative activist #5 worries me if the EC is close and the election gets to the courts.

Sorry if this is Haas:

Some key states like PA don't start counting the mail in ballots until election day, and it takes much longer (as in days) to count the mail in ballots because so many were cast this year because of COVID. Also, polls show that Biden has a huge lead over Trump among mail in voters; while in states like PA, Trump will win the majority of the votes of those who vote in person. So, on election night, Trump may (is likely to) hold leads in states like PA, while mail-in votes are still pending, and of course, if that happens, Trump will declare victory knowing: a) Biden will crush among the still be counted mail in ballots; b) declaring victory, will get his base fired up and ready to cause havoc, if the election "is stolen" by those "fraudulent" mail in ballots. Unless Trump loses some key traditionally red states that make the mail-in ballot counting a non-issue, declaring the winner is going to drag out and be ugly.

Yes, PA will probably be the slowest state to get their votes tallied, and Trump will likely declare victory Tuesday night based on early results. And then lose and declare the election a fraud. But I sorta take that as a given and not a worry. It's likely the only battleground state to announce Tuesday night will be FL. So we may have to be patient and wait till Thursday or Friday. Hopefully not longer than that.

especially because mail in ballots are like 2-1 D voters, so unless it's a landslide, election night will be very R returns that will shift blue as the mail ins are counted. Rife for trump to call shenanigans.

Not sure how many lost votes it would be but SCOTUS could also suddenly rule that the ballots that come in after 8pm on the 3rd are no longer valid.

ok yea i don't know who any of those people are

i do know the DSCC recruited Antone to primary Ilhan with backing from Blackstone and 75% corporate donors and money almost entirely out of the district because she supports M4A and because they know the shitlib playbook for purging the left from the party includes accusations of antisemitism, and the large jewish population in the district is a great test bed for seeding that stuff

here's a counterpoint from your paper https://www.startribune.com/counterpoint-big-political-money-is-behind-challenges-to-omar/571711362/

You are really out over your skis. Leaders in the Jewish community here have long viewed Omar as an anti-semite because they sat down, met with her face to face, expressed their concerns to her about a litany of public statements she'd made, listened to her answers and found them to be lacking. And that's been a rap on her well before this race began, well before she was ever sent to DC and well before you'd heard her name.

You obviously don't know anything about Antone either if you believe he's a Blackstone puppet. Or are we to believe the litany of activists and local DFL party leaders who backed him are somehow in Blackstone's pocket. The idea Andy Luger, whose wife I worked with for several years earlier in my career, is siding with the likes of Blackstone to advance monied outside interests is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard on these boards. And that's saying something.

We all know the score, right? It would look really bad for the DNC and the MN DFL to have Omar lose in a primary during an election year when they're trying to oust Trump given how nationally she's one of the most well known Trump critics. Bad optics. It's why outside money flooded into a primary race that is almost never heavily contested. It's why we saw plenty of adds that didn't come with the tagline I'm Antone Melton-Meaux and I approved this message going after Omar. Antone, for his part, ran a campaign that said he would be focused on local constituents and concerns vs. her more self-centered and national focus. And I know plenty of people locally who will tell you were the optics of this election cycle different (and not focused on avoiding giving Trump talking points) there are good odds Omar would not have gotten the DFL endorsement.

She is an anti-semite. And she's corrupt. That's a big reason why so many prominent local DFL'ers endorsed Antone. It's because he's a guy of real substance, which you'd dismiss completely out of hand without spending a minute with him. And it's because they know you can't be an effective advocate to cure bigotry if you're a bigot and you can't be an effective outspoken critic of corruption if you are corrupt. The district is a 100% lock for the DFL. And you're droning on about somehow Melton-Meaux being in the GOP's pocket. Clue in. It's ok for citizens to not like an anti-semite who is corrupt while still seeking a candidate who matches their values. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

If we now return to my original post on the subject I believe you will see I was correct in my characterization of your position.

If we now return to my original post on the subject I believe you will see I was correct in my characterization of your position.

If your position is I don't support anti-semites after they have been screened as such by local Jewish community leaders and I don't support corruption when it is reported across local media that Omar took over $1M in campaign funds and funneled it to a company 100% owned by her husband who serves as a campaign consultant, then yes.

If your position is that somehow you are justified in overlooking those things and because I don't I'm not "woke" enough for your ends justifies the means uber progressive political views, then no. Antone is a good man. She's part of the very problem she purports to want to correct.

For further context on the fact local Jewish leaders have met with her both before and after she went to Congress and find her lacking.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/03/...with-local-jews-then-she-offended-them-again/
https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/...emitism-last-year-why-they-remain-frustrated/

This from all the way back in 2012 when local Jewish leaders invited her to a private meeting to discuss issues of concern about her views on Jews -

"“Over the course of about two hours, we shared with her our concerns for things, including language that has references and meanings beyond just the meanings of words. Tropes, dog whistles — call them what you will. We explained to her how hurtful, and factually inaccurate, they were. Most of us came out of that conversation very troubled by the answers we received. I was not convinced she was going to give a balanced approach to policy in the Middle East, and I was not convinced … where her heart is on these things."

To be clear, these are lifelong democrats, many of them progressives. But do go on.

We’ve been through all this before. I don’t believe her to be an anti-Semite, or if she is and Bernie and Corbyn are then so am I. That’s probably just me being woke though.

DeacMan, can one be atin-Israel, or at least anti-Zionist, and not be anti-Semite in your view?

Sorry I’m not up on this. What did she say that is anti Semitic and what did she do that is corrupt?

We’ve been through all this before. I don’t believe her to be an anti-Semite, or if she is and Bernie and Corbyn are then so am I. That’s probably just me being woke though.

From your keyboard to God's eyes when it comes to your own issues.

Because concerns about her anti-semitism extend well beyond home town leaders of the Jewish community who meet with her multiple times over a period of years and leave "very troubled". They extend to national leaders of her own party. But you've got it covered.

"The resolution, which began circulating to members Monday night, comes after a backlash from top Democrats who accused Omar of anti-Semitism."

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/04/omar-israel-house-democrats-1201881

Of course in the name of public facing party unity we'll ultimately water this down to a statement reminding us all that being a bigot against anyone is a bad thing. But hey, we did start this with she's an anti-semite.

Same exact situation with Corbyn and Sanders from party establishment. It’s a playbook.

If there’s one thing both parties agree on to the detriment of millions of people in the West Bank, it’s that you aren’t allowed to criticize Israel.

Back