• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

My comment was that Demings is in a unique position that would be beneficial to achieving actual solutions. But yes, the twitter mob will be furious whomever the pick is. Demings is a good candidate. And dismissing her outright because she worked in law enforcement is counterproductive and qualifies one as a “snowflake.”

I want to beat trump. I don’t like how the Dems are going to eat their own here no matter who the pick is.

Would the twitter mob be furious with Ayanna Pressley or Tammy Duckworth?

Why do we need someone with law enforcement experience?

My comment was that Demings is in a unique position that would be beneficial to achieving actual solutions. But yes, the twitter mob will be furious whomever the pick is. Demings is a good candidate. And dismissing her outright because she worked in law enforcement is counterproductive and qualifies one as a “snowflake.”

I want to beat trump. I don’t like how the Dems are going to eat their own here no matter who the pick is.

Did you read the article I posted? You like her based on a record that is really bad for the time we are in.

It’s not hard to find a VP nominee who doesn’t have a background of dismissing police brutality.

Of course Trump did, sadly this is what his base wants. It is all he has left now. He's gambling that a combo of 100% bigot Trump base turnout, voter suppression, and the EC will backdoor him into a second term. It is the only chance he has left.

60% of America despises him.

I think Trump has one other lever he can pull. Replace Pence (who may want out anyway, given what November is looking like) and replace him with a woman. Maybe Nickey Haley? She’d appeal to a lot of Trump’s base and may help him close historic lead Biden has with women.

Why? Do this for four more years and he’s the nominee.

I’d prefer Duckworth to almost any other candidate. You were right about her from the beginning PH. But let me phrase this another way: if Demings gives Biden an advantage in Florida, I am in favor of Demings. Because winning Florida means Trump is done. Election over. AND I think Demings is in a good position to effect change. So other posters accusing me of saying black people should be happy with a token candidate is wrong.

I think the threat trump poses is so severe that this is in many ways a “win at all costs” election. My sole concern is winning and removing this administration. All I want is a VP that’s going to help that cause. I don’t care what they look like or their job was. The nominee doesn’t fucking matter if you don’t win.

That’s the thing. Demings would be a liability on the trail. So if you’re picking a one term rep, go for Pressley, Porter, or any of several class of 2018 women who have a high ceiling and less baggage.

Objectively I think Duckworth is the best campaigner and has the most political "skill" of the group considered. She would be very effective.

You're assuming Pence will get the chance to do this for four more years, which does not look like that will be the case. And choosing a woman VP would help Trump more than keeping Pence.

We are talking about if Pence would resign or not.

We are talking about if Pence would resign or not.

No, we’re not. At least I’m not. My first post simply stated that I thought it might be in Trump’s interest to replace Pence with a woman VP candidate. Along the way, I speculated that Pence probably wants out anyway. I didn’t say whether I thought he would or should.

Personally, I think he’d be better off four years from now without having gone down in flames with Trump this November. Personally, though, I have no idea what’s in his head. I haven’t spoken with him in quite a while.

I think Trump has one other lever he can pull. Replace Pence (who may want out anyway, given what November is looking like) and replace him with a woman. Maybe Nickey Haley? She’d appeal to a lot of Trump’s base and may help him close historic lead Biden has with women.

At this point I don't think Haley would help very much with women, as she would still be tied to Trump, and that's what is killing Republicans among suburban women. She probably would have been a bigger help with women in the 2016 campaign, before Trump had been in office for four years. I'm sure the GOP, Fox, and other right-wing media would play it up for all its worth, though. She might actually help Trump more with male voters, as they could point at Trump and say "See, he supports women for high office too!"

End of the day I still think it will be Harris.

Agreed. I think it will be an African-American woman, and Biden's campaign staff is likely to see Harris as the "safe" choice with a broad range of voters, although I don't think it would thrill progressives, which could be a problem. There are still some others in the mix, though, and given how little gossip or rumors have come out, nothing is certain, other than it will be a woman as Biden said.

Isn't Pence his consigliere to the religious right? Not sure he can afford to piss them off this fall.

At this point they probably think Trump is more Christian than Pence could ever hope to be

At this point they probably think Trump is more Christian than Pence could ever hope to be

Pretty sure no one has ever done more for Christians. And let's take a pass on Jesus because he did good, although it's always questionable, you know, in other words, the end result...

Back