• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

Press secretary for Bernie and senior advisor for Joe

He should have! It’s the coolest thing about him.

Old conniving sinister Joe, right?

It's simpler and less evil than that. I'm sure his people think Demings gives them a two-fer. Black woman for BLM and a cop for the law and order types. Problem is that Demings will be held accountable for every officer-involved incident under her watch.

I think the last three weeks should have eliminated Warren, Klob, Harris, and Demings from the list. They just don't fit the zeitgeist. Warren had the campaign's worst misstep on race and she's as likely as Biden to put her foot in her mouth on these issues. She's not going to help Biden get the earned media he needs to compete with Trump. It's just not the time for a former DA without a strong record on police brutality or a police chief.

I mean, there are plenty of black women who also don't have terrible criminal justice records. I think this is the issue that I have with how y'all talk about Biden. You especially talk about the dude as if he has no agency and as if you're totally separated from the rest of the moment that's happening now.

For instance, in what universe do you think BLM types will be happy about a Harris or a Demings VP pick? Do yu think BLM types are stupid enough to put identity over record? BLM came of age while Kamala Harris was AG. Liberal, id-pol fantasy land coplay. Which is fine! If that's what Biden and his people want to do, then that's what they're going to do.

But it's pretty fucked up to pick a black female cop and pretend like that's sensitive to this moment in any way. It reeks of the cynicism turns a lot of politically progressive and radical black leftist away from the party.

It was an overly cynical take; he’s done some good nods to progressives. But one such example is his VP list, and another is his response to protests. Ask Jamison2Carter though.

This is why Ayanna Pressley should be the pick

Hands down. It’s so easy. Or even Stacey Abrams. Like just don’t pick a black woman who won’t have any traction with the demographic you want to turn out for you! Not only does that cynically jeopardize what should be a really symbolic win for black women in politics, but it trivializes the gigantic fucking movement that got a lot bigger and more diverse over the last few weeks.

I mean, there are plenty of black women who also don't have terrible criminal justice records. I think this is the issue that I have with how y'all talk about Biden. You especially talk about the dude as if he has no agency and as if you're totally separated from the rest of the moment that's happening now.

For instance, in what universe do you think BLM types will be happy about a Harris or a Demings VP pick? Do yu think BLM types are stupid enough to put identity over record? BLM came of age while Kamala Harris was AG. Liberal, id-pol fantasy land coplay. Which is fine! If that's what Biden and his people want to do, then that's what they're going to do.

But it's pretty fucked up to pick a black female cop and pretend like that's sensitive to this moment in any way. It reeks of the cynicism turns a lot of politically progressive and radical black leftist away from the party.

You realize I agree with you, right?

Don’t forget Susan Rice as a possible pick. The insiders love her.

Abrams has moved up on my list because picking her would be voting rights at the forefront of the election.

Her, Duckworth, or Pressley. Easy decision.

Last edited:
You realize I agree with you, right?

Don’t forget Susan Rice as a possible pick. The insiders love her.

Abrams has moved up on my list because picking her would be voting rights at the forefront of the election.

Her, Duckworth, or Pressley. Easy decision.

I'm all in.

Pressley or Duckworth are my preference.

I don’t know if it came up on the boards but the Massachusetts GOP sent out a fundraising email last week and the only sitting democrat they targeted by name was Pressley. Obviously that didn’t play well locally.

All the more reason she should be the VP.

Abrams should run for higher office, and obtain it, before she’s ever mentioned as a VP candidate. Especially in an election where the VP, if successful, is the presidential nominee in 4 years.

Abrams as VP is just insane. And it would be another example of the Dems shooting themselves in the foot.

Abrams should run for higher office, and obtain it, before she’s ever mentioned as a VP candidate. Especially in an election where the VP, if successful, is the presidential nominee in 4 years.

Abrams as VP is just insane. And it would be another example of the Dems shooting themselves in the foot.

She'd be the governor of GA right now if Republicans were masters of voter suppression. Dems miss a lot of talent with such thinking. Red state Dems, Dems who have to primary a Dem to get to higher office.

Demings would be a decent pick, and if she gave Biden a boost in Florida, I’m all for it. But BLM can’t stand the idea of someone with a career in law enforcement, even though she probably knows better than anyone how to fix some of these issues. So add her to the list of qualified minority women who the special snowflakes can’t support.

Personally, I like Harris a lot. She’s the most qualified and would make the best president of any of the minority women being considered. But once again, she was a prosecutor and that’s a “problem.”

Demings would be a decent pick, and if she gave Biden a boost in Florida, I’m all for it. But BLM can’t stand the idea of someone with a career in law enforcement, even though she probably knows better than anyone how to fix some of these issues. So add her to the list of qualified minority women who the special snowflakes can’t support.

Personally, I like Harris a lot. She’s the most qualified and would make the best president of any of the minority women being considered. But once again, she was a prosecutor and that’s a “problem.”

A group whose main message is “stop killing us” is reduced to “special snowflakes”

Good work bro.

You’ve got to read the room here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hief-Val-Demings-running-mate-angers-BLM.html

———-

Furthermore, a review of the department by Orlando Weekly in 2008 declared Demings' police force to be a place where 'rogue cops operate with impunity, and there's nothing anybody who finds himself at the wrong end of their short fuse can do about it.'

Demings defended her department in an op-ed to the Orlando Sentinel.

'Looking for a negative story in a police department is like looking for a prayer at church,' Demings wrote.

'I believe a reasonable person also understands that a few seconds (even on video) rarely capture the entire set of circumstances.'

Her record as police chief, in light of the wave of demands for an end to police brutality following George Floyd's killing by a white policeman, is worrying many of Biden's supporters.

————-

And in light of what I posted yesterday:

———

Some Democratic Party insiders, however, dismissed criticism of Demings, pointing out she could serve as a valuable bridge between activists demanding a black woman as running mate, and moderates hoping to win over law-and-order voters.

'The left flank, which is the very loud but very small minority that is pissed on Twitter about everything, are going to hate whoever he picks,' one Senate insider told The Post.

'The African American community isn't going to be inclined to distrust a black woman.'

———-

Assuming that activists are happy with just any black woman without regard to her background is a pretty big whiff.

My comment was that Demings is in a unique position that would be beneficial to achieving actual solutions. But yes, the twitter mob will be furious whomever the pick is. Demings is a good candidate. And dismissing her outright because she worked in law enforcement is counterproductive and qualifies one as a “snowflake.”

I want to beat trump. I don’t like how the Dems are going to eat their own here no matter who the pick is.

Back