• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Senate Races

Want to believe that Harrison has a legit shot of beating Lindsay Graham, but won't believe that SC would elect a black democrat to state-wide office until I see it.

Not counting two reconstruction senators from Mississippi in 1870, there have been only 8 African-Americans ever elected to the Senate. 3 from Illinois, 2 from Mass, Booker (NJ), the current Dem. VP nominee (CA), and Republican Tim Scott (SC). Pretty sad. Further, SC has been a Republican stronghold for decades. No Democratic Presidential candidate has carried SC, in 44 years (Jimmy Carter in 1976 was the last), and Carter is the only Democrat to carry SC in 60 years. As most recent examples, Trump, Romney and McCain all easily carried SC in the last 3 Presidential elections. Also, in 2014, Graham won the senate race by a 54-39-4-3 margin. That is a lot of ground to make up in 6 years.

So, for a Southern state to elect an African-American Democratic candidate would be historic for the State, the South and the country. Would love it, but regardless of the closeness of recent polls, history overwhelmingly favors Graham.

As an aside, the fact the SC Senate race, and even the Presidential race, might be close in SC, is a good sign for the outcome of lots of other races to be decided next month.

I live in the absolute heart of GOP country in upstate SC. A lot of Pubs are sick of Lindsey. Not republican enough, won't suck Trump hard enough, is truly gay, there are tons of excuses where they won't vote for him this time, but they are not gonna vote for Harrison. They'll just vote Tump and leave booth. This is where Lindsey has a major problem (that and he has no money compared to Jaime). There are a lot of Harrison sign in yards that have never put a Dem sign in ever around Spartanburg.

I live in the absolute heart of GOP country in upstate SC. A lot of Pubs are sick of Lindsey. Not republican enough, won't suck Trump hard enough, is truly gay, there are tons of excuses where they won't vote for him this time, but they are not gonna vote for Harrison. They'll just vote Tump and leave booth. This is where Lindsey has a major problem (that and he has no money compared to Jaime). There are a lot of Harrison sign in yards that have never put a Dem sign in ever around Spartanburg.

Yep. And that's what Harrison as well as Cal and some other Dem challengers are counting on.

I don't think Harrison is going to win. But if this race is too close to call 30 minutes after polls close, that's a good sign that Biden will win handily and Democrats will get 50+ in the Senate.

Republican voters like what they think is authenticity. Obviously, Trump voters who think he's being sincere and/or authentic have been badly fooled, but they like it nonetheless. Graham is so transparently inauthentic that I can see him losing the support of those voters. Any position you can think of, there is video of Lindsey taking it. Pro-trump, anti-trump, etc. Many of them know he's trying to trick them, and they don't like it. What I cannot understand and likely never will is how they can't see that with Trump. My best guess is they hate the same people he hates, so they just don't care.

One thing trump supporters love is that he says out loud all the things they can't say in public/polite society because of the evil that is political correctness. Many don't see the things they want to say as mean spirited and/or racist. Most don't see or recognize those as flaws in themselves. They want everyone to have thicker skin while pulling up their bootstraps. Of course, they are always the victim so at least they're consistent...

AP releases a story on how Republican Senate candidates are starting to distance themselves from Trump as his poll numbers continue to slide. The article notes that their efforts are being complicated by a fear of alienating Trump's (their) base, and fear that if they are too publicly critical of his handling of the pandemic that he'll attack them on twitter or in a speech. The article discusses several specific Senate races, including Susan Collins, who is deeply concerned and is now running an ad that urges voters to vote for her “no matter who you’re voting for for president." It's amusing watching all of these lock-step lemmings now worrying and fretting that Dear Leader might drag them to defeat in November. If it happens (still a big if) it will be richly deserved.

Article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/republicans-see-grim-senate-map-205147655.html

AP releases a story on how Republican Senate candidates are starting to distance themselves from Trump as his poll numbers continue to slide. The article notes that their efforts are being complicated by a fear of alienating Trump's (their) base, and fear that if they are too publicly critical of his handling of the pandemic that he'll attack them on twitter or in a speech. The article discusses several specific Senate races, including Susan Collins, who is deeply concerned and is now running an ad that urges voters to vote for her “no matter who you’re voting for for president." It's amusing watching all of these lock-step lemmings now worrying and fretting that Dear Leader might drag them to defeat in November. If it happens (still a big if) it will be richly deserved.

Article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/republicans-see-grim-senate-map-205147655.html

Well of course Collins is deeply concerned!

I'm gonna vote for Jamie Harrison and it will be one of the most satisfying votes I've ever cast. I think Lindsay squeaks it out but damn I'm enjoying watching that little rat fucker squirm.

I'm gonna vote for Jamie Harrison and it will be one of the most satisfying votes I've ever cast. I think Lindsay squeaks it out but damn I'm enjoying watching that little rat fucker squirm.

No need to lump rat fuckers in with Graham.

so is Cal not going to say anything? silence is a little strange - don't we need the tear filled apology with his wife standing by his side? he can't be replaced on ballot this late right? maybe the plan should be "i fucked up, i want to focus on my family, elect me because tom tillis is a putz, i will resign and then cooper can replace me with someone who can keep their junk under control"?

so is Cal not going to say anything? silence is a little strange - don't we need the tear filled apology with his wife standing by his side? he can't be replaced on ballot this late right? maybe the plan should be "i fucked up, i want to focus on my family, elect me because tom tillis is a putz, i will resign and then cooper can replace me with someone who can keep their junk under control"?

I’m not sure tying the senate seat to the governor’s race is wise.

With all that's going on with our Disaster-In-Chief I think Cal's plan is to let this story die without talking much about it. It is getting zero national attention and local news is basically dead, so he's probably smart to handle it this way.

It is getting zero national attention and local news is basically dead

Would this story still get zero national attention if Cunningham had a (R) following his name instead of a (D)??

Makes you wonder

Back