• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Senate Races

“Before I’m a Democrat, a Republican or unaffiliated, I’m a woman of God and we are in a critical moment in this nation. I am very close friends with attorney Webb’s wife. We are in a ministry circle together and we have been putting the people of the Roanoke Valley first serving in grassroots leadership. That’s what this is about. It’s time for our nation to move toward healing and groom people together.”

Ugh.

Typical entitled liberal purity politics bullshit. We’re going to potentially miss out on a Senate Majority because Democrats couldn’t just hold their noses and vote for imperfect candidate. You can’t always get what you want - corporatist compromise and lobbyist driven incrementalism isn’t enough, you have to be perfectly virtuous as well! This is why Republicans win - they get in line and support the party.

Jeff jackson is a rising democratic star and smith is noncommittal in his race? Wtf?

There is no indication so far that any of this is hurting Cunningham in polling.

Worry about adultery after the goddamn election, there’s too much at stake.

The better Biden and Cooper do in NC, the better Cunningham's chances as well. I think Cooper will win by at least a comfortable margin over Forest, and Biden's chances in NC appear to be improving. Maybe together they can drag Cunningham across the finish line. In a normal year he would likely be toast, but in this campaign year who knows?

Hmm. Don't know about this other race where she's supporting the Republican over a Democrat, but one wonders if her support for Jackson's GOP opponent was a way of hoping to eliminate a possible future rival in a Democratic Senate primary. Wouldn't be the first time a pol has been thinking ahead.

Trashing a popular young Democrat is not a good way to position yourself for a future primary.

Even if Cal were to not make it across finish line there are good indications that Greenfield can take Ernst down in Iowa or Bullock can take down Daines in Montana. AZ, CO, and ME are looking pretty good right now although things may tighten somewhat in ME as we get closer.

The latest polling has Graham and Harrison tied. I keep telling myself it's too good to be true, it can't happen, etc. At the end of the day, it's at least nice that they have to spend resources in that race.

The latest polling has Graham and Harrison tied. I keep telling myself it's too good to be true, it can't happen, etc. At the end of the day, it's at least nice that they have to spend resources in that race.

Yeah, that's what I keep saying to myself, but maybe that is winnable. Maybe a lot of white South Carolinians think that Graham hasn't been loyal enough to Trump? The 1 I have a bit more faith in than say SC, GA or TX is IA. Greenfield was up again by a little in 2 polls the other day. My level of confidence in closely contested states is Kelly, Gideon, Cunningham, Greenfield, Ossoff, Harrison, Bullock, Hegar. Still thinking we get to 50.

I’m unapologetically voting for Cal and not going to feel conflicted about it for a second

Yeah, that's what I keep saying to myself, but maybe that is winnable. Maybe a lot of white South Carolinians think that Graham hasn't been loyal enough to Trump? The 1 I have a bit more faith in than say SC, GA or TX is IA. Greenfield was up again by a little in 2 polls the other day. My level of confidence in closely contested states is Kelly, Gideon, Cunningham, Greenfield, Ossoff, Harrison, Bullock, Hegar. Still thinking we get to 50.

538 has 67% chance of getting 50+, even a 12% chance of getting 55+.

I’m unapologetically voting for Cal and not going to feel conflicted about it for a second

After skimming through the last few pages will it be possible for someone to remind me again which party only cares about getting and maintaining power?

Want to believe that Harrison has a legit shot of beating Lindsay Graham, but won't believe that SC would elect a black democrat to state-wide office until I see it.

Not counting two reconstruction senators from Mississippi in 1870, there have been only 8 African-Americans ever elected to the Senate. 3 from Illinois, 2 from Mass, Booker (NJ), the current Dem. VP nominee (CA), and Republican Tim Scott (SC). Pretty sad. Further, SC has been a Republican stronghold for decades. No Democratic Presidential candidate has carried SC, in 44 years (Jimmy Carter in 1976 was the last), and Carter is the only Democrat to carry SC in 60 years. As most recent examples, Trump, Romney and McCain all easily carried SC in the last 3 Presidential elections. Also, in 2014, Graham won the senate race by a 54-39-4-3 margin. That is a lot of ground to make up in 6 years.

So, for a Southern state to elect an African-American Democratic candidate would be historic for the State, the South and the country. Would love it, but regardless of the closeness of recent polls, history overwhelmingly favors Graham.

As an aside, the fact the SC Senate race, and even the Presidential race, might be close in SC, is a good sign for the outcome of lots of other races to be decided next month.

Last edited:
After skimming through the last few pages will it be possible for someone to remind me again which party only cares about getting and maintaining power?

The Democratic Party is finally waking up. It makes GOP supporters furious to see Dems following their playbook.

Back