• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Senate Races

To be clear on Cunningham, the latest report is that he's been having an affair - with a different woman than the text messages - since 2012. The parallels to John Edwards are obvious, but at least Cal didn't make it as far before this came to light.

Best thing Cal can do is defeat Thom (never trust a Thom) and then resign once he's sworn in and let Cooper pick someone to replace him. Doubt that happens, but that would be the ideal outcome.

Last edited:
This latest thing is based on a private fb post second hand claim and its only been reported in right-wing media so far so we'll have to take that one with a grain of salt without more substantiation.

Best thing Cal can do is defeat Thom (never trust a Thom) and then resigned once he's sworn in and let Cooper pick someone to replace him. Doubt that happens, but that would be the ideal outcome.

That would last until a special election in the 2022 midterm so both seats would be up for grabs.

To be clear on Cunningham, the latest report is that he's been having an affair - with a different woman than the text messages - since 2012. The parallels to John Edwards are obvious, but at least Cal didn't make it as far before this came to light.

Disagree to an extent. Cal being a US Senator is very important and I'd rather this come out after that. What a selfish POS this guy is.

That would last until a special election in the 2022 midterm so both seats would be up for grabs.

Well that would be exciting. Would love to see Erica Smith run again, and I assume Jeff Jackson will probably go for Burr’s seat. They’d make a good team campaigning together for two seats.

I just refuse to accept Cunningham, even though I will be voting for him because Thom Tillis is the devil.

He's 30 days out from the election and its not like there are a ton of in-person opportunities. The show must go on.

Back to my point: if this is the case, how do you as a husband/father explain that to your wife and kids; i.e. "my apologies/I totally let you down, but the country has to come first; will try my best to make it up to you after the election is settled; hope you understand".
He's put himself, his family and the country in a very tough spot; guessing he's not sure what his future holds and/or the best way to proceed other than, as you say, for now "the show goes on" and try to pick up the pieces later.

His wife and kids probably hate Thom Tillis too.

Back to my point: if this is the case, how do you as a husband/father explain that to your wife and kids; i.e. "my apologies/I totally let you down, but the country has to come first; will try my best to make it up to you after the election is settled; hope you understand".
He's put himself, his family and the country in a very tough spot; guessing he's not sure what his future holds and/or the best way to proceed other than, as you say, for now "the show goes on" and try to pick up the pieces later.

If he withdrawals, his name is still on the ballot. There's nothing to do except keep trucking. He doesn't need to campaign at all given covid, frankly. Tweet some stuff and keep running ads.

You basically made the choice that the country comes before your family when you decide to run for Senate even without the affairs.

I for one am shocked that an affluent white guy made selfish choices that hurt his family.

The best thing for Democrats is for Cunningham to win the seat and hold it for 6 years. The more state power they can have while the state turns more bluish-purple the better.

Yep

As a voter, one has to forget most everything else and do what’s better for the state/nation. Which means, essentially, vote for the D. Even if they are a dick.

I think the Republican Party has proven they are hazardous to good governance and not worthy of support.

Best thing Cal can do is defeat Thom (never trust a Thom) and then resign once he's sworn in and let Cooper pick someone to replace him. Doubt that happens, but that would be the ideal outcome.

of course, if Dan Forest wins the election, he will DEMAND that this appointment take place after he is inaugurated and suggest that it's completely ridiculous to appoint someone in such a short window.

While a gross generalization, it seems like philandering has a far more severe impact on Dem candidates than Pubs. Kind of counterintuitive given the perceived "base" of each party (godless liberals v. evangelicals).

Last edited:

Thom Yorke's pretty cool

Cal is shitty, but I'm still in the "at least it was consensual" phase. He'd still have my vote if I lived in NC.

While a gross generalization, it seems like philandering has a far more severe impact on Dem candidates than Pubs. Kind of counterintuitive given the perceived "base" of each party (godless liberals v. evangelicals).

You can explain anything away with religion. It doesn't have to be logical because you just have faith what you want is true.

Back