• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered, but with a Miami win vs. Cuse, and a UNC loss vs. Duke, Miami gets the 3 seed, right?

which of those teams would qualify as a neutral quad 1 win if we beat them in the tourney (as the rankings are now)?

which of those teams would qualify as a neutral quad 1 win if we beat them in the tourney (as the rankings are now)?

unc

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75.
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135.
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240.
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353.

Right, and Miami crushed UNC, so Miami gets 3 and we would face UNC on Thursday if we take care of business Wednesday?

yes, if Miami wins and UNC loses, we get UNC

If Miami loses and/or UNC wins, we get Miami

Notre Dame could fall into a 3-way tie by losing to Pitt, but that does not matter because ND beat both Miami and UNC

FWIW, according to KP, Duke will be a double digit favorite over UNC (UNC's win % is 15%). Cuse is a 1 point favorite over Miami (Miami's win% is 46%).

wake is winning the acc tournament so i don't see what the fuss is about
:)

Why Can't the Georgia Bulldogs Win in Basketball? "It's Mystifying"

When Georgia hired Harrick away from Rhode Island in April 1999, he nearly changed his mind when the school wouldn't let him bring his son, Jim Harrick Jr., as an assistant coach because of nepotism rules. Once Harrick waffled, Georgia officials were ready to withdraw the job offer and instead hire Delaware coach Mike Brey. But Dooley was visiting a Civil War battlefield in Virginia and didn't have good cell service. By the time Dooley was reached, Harrick had changed his mind again and accepted the job.

unc

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75.
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135.
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240.
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353.

If I had more free time I'd redefine the quadrants by the actual quality of the teams statistically. This is a year where I'd argue there are no truly exceptional teams, probably 8 really good teams, then a massive logjam of pretty good from like 10-70. Light dropoff through 120 then it gets ugly.

But by picking arbitrary numbers like 30, 100, etc., and putting a ton of emphasis on "quad 1" wins, it does seem like a top-heavy year like this one favors the strongest conferences since you get more chances to beat weaker than usual quad 1 teams. The ACC basically has none of those, and even if a team like UNC ends up being one and you beat them by 20, the unbalanced schedule means it's only one game potentially.

It's like grading on a curve regardless of who the students are.

It's been discussed but NET making huge moves by crushing Quad 3's by 30 is more of an issue than the Quad cut offs.

ND isn't on the bubble. Lunardi had them as an 8 seed. As long as they beat Pitt, they're in.

And watch out for FSU in the tourney. They've had a lot of injuries, which explains why their record is what it is, but some of their young guys are starting to step it up. I could see them making an ACC tourney run.

As of this morning, Lunardi has ND as a 10. We're a 9.

ESPN Bubble Watch has ND under Work Left to Do. We're in Should Be In.

The Athletic Bubble Watch has ND under Work Left to Do. We're in Should Be In.

Bracket Matrix has ND in 104/112 brackets and an average seed of 10.36. We are in 106/112 brackets and an average seed of 10.22.

ESPN agrees:

Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Bubble Watch can report confidently that the Wake Forest offense is outstanding at home against opponents that won't earn an at-large bid. In blowout wins over Louisville and NC State, the Demon Deacons scored 200 points in 80 minutes of basketball. That nets out to 1.39 points per possession, and it was Daivien Williamson who set the pace against the Wolfpack with 28 points. The Deacons appear to have wrapped up at least a No. 10 seed in what will be the program's first NCAA tournament appearance in five years. (updated Mar. 3)

Barring a blowout loss in the first round of the ACCT, I think we're in too, although bad luck with bid-thieves could knock us down to the First Four. One win in the ACCT makes us a mortal lock.

The Athletic agrees too:

Wake Forest (23-8, 13-7; NET: 36, SOS: 99): The Demon Deacons, fresh off of receiving the vaunted Brian Hamilton feature treatment in the virtual pages of this here The Athletic Dot Com completed their regular season Wednesday night with a celebration that doubled as a basketball game: 101-76 against N.C. State, in 71 possessions, a perfect encapsulation of the sudden offensive explosion that has driven a previously moribund program to one of its best seasons of the past 15 years. The Demon Deacons’ actual NCAA Tournament resume has always lagged a bit behind the good feeling around this group — the surprise of this sudden step forward rhetorically overpowering any concerns about the awful nonconference schedule and the ongoing lack of quality wins, even in this space — but that’s why we’re going to hold steady at “should be in” for now. This team is probably still a double-digit seed. You never know down there. But it’s hard to imagine Wake Forest losing any one game in the ACC tournament next week in such a way that the committee no longer thinks this program is deserving of a spot in the field.

I'm feeling pretty good about our potential ACCT opponents. We should take care of whomever wins the 12/13 game. Then we get Miami, most likely, in a very good revenge game for us. Or a UNC team who have handled and who we should be ready for.

Notre Dame will be in a must-win game playing a desperate team from Virginia (either one) and that is a game Notre Dame can easily lose.

As of this morning, Lunardi has ND as a 10. We're a 9.

ESPN Bubble Watch has ND under Work Left to Do. We're in Should Be In.

The Athletic Bubble Watch has ND under Work Left to Do. We're in Should Be In.

Bracket Matrix has ND in 104/112 brackets and an average seed of 10.36. We are in 106/112 brackets and an average seed of 10.22.

I gotta think it would be unprecedented for the 2nd place ACC team not to make the Dance (since the field went to 64 of course). That said, this season was the nadir of the conference in terms of overall quality.

I gotta think it would be unprecedented for the 2nd place ACC team not to make the Dance (since the field went to 64 of course). That said, this season was the nadir of the conference in terms of overall quality.
The unbalanced conference schedule seriously favoring ND is a problem.

The unbalanced conference schedule seriously favoring ND is a problem.

Exactly. Here are the current conference standings, with ND's record against each team:

1. Duke 0-1
2. ND N/A
3. UNC 1-0
4. Miami 1-0
5. WF 0-1
6. VPI 0-1
7. UVA 1-0
8. FSU 0-1
9. Syracuse 1-0
10. Clemson 2-0
11. Louisville 2-0
12. BC 1-1