• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

Respectfully disagree. Anecdotally, almost every buzzer beater this week has come without a TO before the game winning shot.

Also, think a timeout gives the defense a chance to set up, or like BC did to Miami today at the end of regulation, to change the defensive scheme, which almost always forces the offense to abort the play call. When you have a veteran team, would guess that a majority of teams do not call a timeout before attempting the game winning shot. Also, one other small point, in college basketball the team on offense always has the bench (and the coaches) on their side in the 2nd half (not true in the NBA). As a result, when a team is holding for a last shot with time left, there is time for the coach to provide additional instruction to the offense, while the coaching staff for the defense is on the other side of the court; so, the defense is on its own (which is why coaches often go way out of the coaching box. There are analytics for essentially everything in college basketball and don't think there is any analytical support for the claim that the offense statistically benefits from a calling a TO before the final shot, unless there's a player substitution that is needed to give the offense an edge.

College basketball is big business now, coaching staffs seem to grow every year, teams perform detailed analytical analyses of essentially every game situation (particularly end of game scenarios) and despite our criticisms, coaching staffs are full of smart well-informed men making decisions based upon a life-time of preparation for those last second moments. If there was any kind of statistical support for the proposition that a last possession TO gives the offense an advantage, every coaching staff would do that (for among other reasons, to avoid being second guessed). Instead, the conventional wisdom is that the TO or no TO decision comes down to the factors impacting that particular game, that particular team and that particular opponent. Sometimes it makes sense to call a TO and sometimes it does not.

coaching staffs still manage to make mystifyingly bad choices, such as Boeheim in the Dean Dome very late in OT running Swider onto the floor to play defense in a must-foul situation, meaning he would foul out and be unable to score. They are not immune to criticism, regarding late-game situations (or pregame meal and prep)

Most of the buzzer-beaters you refer to came with very limited time on the clock, such as Chattanooga's last-second shot to beat Furman. Agree with you that in a situation such as that, a scramble is probably the best option. BC had the ball with a 3-second differential. With decent execution, aided by coaching, worst case should be that they go to another OT. Instead the kid goes to early and Miami gets an easy runout for the win.

5 guys were within 4 feet of Alondes. Kick it out to Monsanto for an open jumper. Hit Jake on a cut to the hoop. The play we ran vs Charlotte would have worked. Or the play we ran to beat NW.

Opening of this game… Tell me again about how bad the ACC is? Yeesh. I hate both of these teams but they are lighting it up.

I wish I wasn’t holding out a sliver of hope for us because I’d love to root for VT here.

Has Cattoor even touched the rim on a 3 yet?

This is tough, we are likely out anyway, but having kaye lose final home game and then the ACCT to VT might provide a spark of light into my basketball soul.

VT's two losses (UNC and @Clemson) were the games they shot 3's poorly. They are like past dook teams that depended too much on 3's.

Interesting dynamic that Buzz Williams is at Texas A&M and VT could lock them out unless they win their tourney.

Former Deac Michael Wynn (honestly, the name sounded vaguely familiar so I looked him up) just made the NCAA tourney with Akron's winning of the MAC. A quick perusal of his stats suggests he contributes very little.

Seriously, if vt wins the ACCT the conference should get 6 bids.

Wishful thinking though....

Duke losing this game to VT would be as enjoyable as them losing K's last game in Cameron.

Duke's probably going to pull it out, refs will start weighing in soon. But VT looks good, any committee members watching the ACCT will have a hard time keeping them out in lieu of Wake. Don't see that happening.

Is that the first time a Dukie has ever been called for a charge in the last 10 minutes of an ACC Championship when Duke is down?

I'd be willing to posit that VT might have earned a visit to Peter Luger's Steakhouse if they pull off a W here.

God, I guess I am happy for the V Tech fans, but this makes me sick.

Back