• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 25-9 (13-7), KP#33

UNC has rounded into form. They will be top 30 by season’s end

I don’t understand how he can still have Va Tech even near the bubble. It’s only preseason bias that even has them in the top 100.

WF's ACC rank in conference games only:

#6 in offense (lots of extremes); #1 in 2 PT FG%; 15th (DFL) in 3 PT FG%; 15th in TO%
#3 in defense (such a turnaround from previous coaching regimes): #2 in effective FG%; #1 in 2 PT FG defense; #12 in TO%

Generally, defense and 2 PT FG% are the stats least likely to extreme variance; 3 PT FG% has the most variance (Miami rode a 3 PT shooting heater to 4 game conference winning streak). WF is clearly a better 3 point shooting team than it has showed in conference games as 29% is dreadful and has to improve (as a comparison, UNC is shooting 44% from 3 in conference games, which is unsustainable). Feel like WF is in a good place. Love that the Deacs are the ACC best in 2 PT FG% offense and 2 PT FG% defense. One area that needs to improve is TOs. WF is last in the ACC in net TO percentage in ACC games. Hard to win close games when you turn it over more than the other team. Seems like most of that is sloppy play and improving on that will be a point of emphasis.

Also, WF has improved its projected ACC finish. WF is now projected to finish 12-8 (helped adding the BC game back in) which would be a tie for 3rd (with Miami and ND; behind Duke and UNC) in the conference. Deacs have 13 conference games left. Two are projected to be double digit wins (BC and Pitt at home); one is projected as a double digit loss (at Duke); every other game is projected to be tight, starting with two this week: WF is projected to win by 4 at GT and lose by 1 to UNC (that game is huge on multiple fronts: ACCT seeding; potential Quad 1 win; and oh... it's our only game against the dreaded Tarheels all season). Win our share of the close ones, and the Deacs will be in great shape.

Last edited:
I think we're going to win both games this week. The UNC win is going to get a lot of attention. Vibes are on full blast.

I can’t see how we lose at Tech (which is how I’ve felt for most of the last 25 years and we’ve lost almost all of them). Let’s win Wednesday and worry about the goats after that.

And I know some of you purists don’t count those games as “being in the tournament” but I beg to disagree. Ask VCU and UCLA if they count those years. At large First Four winners are 9-11 in the next round. Better % than #9 seeds.

And I know some of you purists don’t count those games as “being in the tournament” but I beg to disagree. Ask VCU and UCLA if they count those years. At large First Four winners are 9-11 in the next round. Better % than #9 seeds.

They count those years because they advanced past the first four to get into the first round.

I believe usually 2 of the 4 First Four games are 11 seed matchups

Usually, but in the Jerry Palm bracket he has #12 seeds in the play-in game. The point was, that in his bracket we are not in one of the play-in games. His #11 seeds are Wake, UNC, TCU and Wyoming, none of which are in a play-in game.

Notre Dame up 1 with 34 seconds and have the ball against Howard. Notre Dame looking awful the last few minutes.

Pretty sure the First Four teams are just the last four at large (and last four conference champs). Sometimes those last four at large are 11 and sometimes they’re 12. Depends on where mid-major conference champs are seeded.

Pretty sure the First Four teams are just the last four at large (and last four conference champs). Sometimes those last four at large are 11 and sometimes they’re 12. Depends on where mid-major conference champs are seeded.

Yeah, last year they were 2x16 games and 2x11 games in Dayton.

Sorry if Haas, but Bracketology now has us as a #11 seed so we avoid the play-in game. That would be nice.
Sorry to say that we were an #11 seed when we lost to #11 Kansas State in the "first four" of the 2017 NCAA tournament

That's why it's dumb for all those people that argued it didn't count as a tournament appearance. They aren't "play-in" games anymore.

“First four” is the name of the play-in games.

For Heaven's sake, this is easy. Bracketology does NOT have Wake as a "First Four" team All the First Four teams in the latest iteration are 12 or 16 seeds. Is that so difficult to understand?

For Heaven's sake, this is easy. Bracketology does NOT have Wake as a "First Four" team All the First Four teams in the latest iteration are 12 or 16 seeds. Is that so difficult to understand?

Bracketology definitely has Wake as a “First Four” team playing UCF as a 12 seed.

2261da852cdc3a563a2e26e0f4b29d36.jpg

Back