• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 25-9 (13-7), KP#33

We had 9 guys transfer the year after Forbes was hired? That seems like alot.

We had 9 guys transfer the year after Forbes was hired? That seems like alot.

We had 6 scholarship players transfer. 1 walk on graduated and is now playing a grad year at George Mason. Three scholarship players graduated and moved on from college basketball.

I guess not everyone has kept up on the team like most of us have, but those transfers weren't kids leaving that we wanted to stay. Forbes sat them each down starting about two weeks before the end of the year and said it's best for both the program and you as a player for you to move on to a new program. We had to rebuild the roster because last year's roster and really the last several seasons' rosters were nowhere near an ACC roster. Forbes publicly advocated for those players to help them find new programs to go to, and was able to free up the scholarships needed to actually put an ACC level team on the floor. We brought in 4 players through the portal that are each better than every single player that left. We also added three new freshmen that have way higher ceilings than those players who we moved on from. One big difference between Manning and Forbes, among many, is that what we do as a basketball program is very intentional.

I recommend subscribing to the 247 board (demondeacondigest.com) to stay informed on the program.

Last edited:
We had 6 scholarship players transfer. 1 walk on graduated and is now playing a grad year at George Mason. Three scholarship players graduated and moved on from college basketball.

I guess not everyone has kept up on the team like most of us have, but those transfers weren't kids leaving that we wanted to stay. Forbes sat them each down starting about two weeks before the end of the year and said it's best for both the program and you as a player for you to move on to a new program. We had to rebuild the roster because last year's roster and really the last several seasons' rosters were nowhere near an ACC roster. Forbes publicly advocated for those players to help them find new programs to go to, and was able to free up the scholarships needed to actually put an ACC level team on the floor. We brought in 4 players through the portal that are each better than every single player that left. We also added three new freshmen that have way higher ceilings than those players who we moved on from. One big difference between Manning and Forbes, among many, is that what we do as a basketball program is very intentional.

I recommend subscribing to the 247 board (demondeacondigest.com) to stay informed on the program.

This is right on the money. Don't feel bad about any that left. Wish them the best but we got better guys to fill their spots.

damn, kenpom has us losing all 9 games from Dec 29 @ Louisville through January 29 @ Syracuse

I'm gonna make a totally wild prediction and say that doesn't happen. At Miami, home against Syracuse, and away to Georgia Tech are all games we can absolutely win in January. Always will be an upset win or two for us as well. Forbes almost won at FSU with an awful roster last year, I'm sure he can sneak us a couple of wins against the top 6 or 7 in the league. That is definitely our hardest portion of the season, though. Very favorable February with home games against Pitt (awful), Notre Dame, and Miami and a very winnable away games at Clemson. I expect our last regular season game at home against State to be a huge crowd and a game of significance for us as a bubble team.

I expect Wake to finish somewhere in the range of 7-11th in the league. Pitt is an absolute dumpster fire, Miami has a couple nice pieces but not a whole lot more, Clemson is a nothing team, Georgia Tech lost it's key pieces and won't be great, and BC is really bad. Our ceiling is reached if we can beat teams like State and maybe Cuse that will be around the middle of the standings. We finish bottom 5 if we can't win home games against the bottom half of the league. It's nearly impossible but f I had to pick a record I'd say 9-11 in conference and 8th or 9th in the standings. Depending on how we do in the three quad 1 non conference games that we'll play, 9-11 and 8th could be enough for a tourney bid especially if it's coupled with a win in Brooklyn. I really encourage all you casual fans to just understand that this team exists outside of the context of the last decade, and is entirely new and soooo much more talented, with a competent coach.

Last edited:

Forbes is also, very publicly, the biggest fan of players who left. As you said, some people pay attention and some don't; those who don't tend to comment on things about which they know very little.

Tariq Ingraham has left the building: https://godeacs.com/news/2021/11/12/mens-basketball-wake-forest-mens-basketball-roster-update.aspx

Think he has upside, but it is clear that he wasn't going to get PT this season. Forbes is going to need to find bigs before next season.

10 players have left the program since the end of last season.

Yikes, well our already thin front court next year just took a big hit. Wonder if Jamesda3 thinks it’s appropriate to be worried now?

Yikes, well our already thin front court next year just took a big hit. Wonder if Jamesda3 thinks it’s appropriate to be worried now?

This will end up being a net positive.

Trust the process

I mean after the overall talent upgrade on the roster from last year no I'm not particularly worried.

If you were at Wednesday's game, you might argue that he left prior.
Yeah kind of strange he would leave the program after playing a couple of minutes in the game doesn't that kill his eligibility for that year

Good news for everyone. He can get PT somewhere else and Forbes will hit the portal to find his replacement which will almost certainly be an upgrade.

Mucius is lone scholarship player on the roster that was even recruited by our prior coach.

This will have no impact on the 2021-22 season, and gives WF more options with the transfer portal or bringing in a frosh, including an international player. This is the new reality of college sports. Rosters go through massive changes each season.

No offense, but if we were relying on Ingraham in the future that would not be a good thing. The timing tells me that he probably got upset with his role in game 1 and there was a blunt discussion. He gone.

This will end up being a net positive.

Trust the process

I think you’re probably right. BUT this leaves really zero margin for error which is never a good position to be in. Roster composition year-to-year is going to be absurdly stressful in this new environment.

Our frontcourt is thin this year in numbers and in size. Tariq added both. Of course, it's no big deal if Marsh is healthy and can contribute.

I believe freshman Carter Whitt has played the third most games as a Deac amongst our scholarship players....

Our frontcourt is thin this year in numbers and in size. Tariq added both. Of course, it's no big deal if Marsh is healthy and can contribute.

FWIW, in his 5 seasons at Colorado, Dallas Walton missed all of the 2019 season, and 12 other games over the other 4 seasons. His record would indicate that he may miss a few games this season.

Back