• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 25-9 (13-7), KP#33

Howdy folks, from over the mountains! Just chirping in to you all over at ETSU-East. LOL. (*mostly* tongue-in-cheek) I've been following several of your all's conversations, observations, witticisms, etc. for this hoops season (and a smidgen last one). You have some erudite and knowledgeable posters. I'm not here to sling anything, or really debate things. I'm a 'moderate+' Deacon fan, and have been for a long time. Been sort of fed up, like you guys, with the UNC/Dook stranglehold over the ACC lately. I go WAY back watching and admiring (for the most part) ACC basketball. Back to when South Carolina was still in. In fact, I patterned some of my game after their John Roche, if any of you all are old enough to remember him. Actually used to enjoy the 4 corners games, for that matter.

Mostly I've been a huge admirer of Forbes, along with Williamson, Monsanto, Savage, McKie, and Hugley. Not to mention Isaiah Tisdale (graduate manager) was a stud here. Used to be of Jason Shay, too, altho his short tenure here didn't go well, shall we say - but he's a rock-solid assistant, especially on defense. So.....................it's been great to see the success of Forbes and his whole crew there. Well-deserved, as is obvious, and you guys don't need me to tell you that. We knew when he was here it couldn't last forever, and we knew what we had at the time. He's a true gem, and couldn't be held back. His dues-paying days have finally borne fruit. I think a HUGE part of the coaching success is that nearly the entire ETSU coaching staff made the migration with Forbes. It was and is an extremely cohesive and dialed-in coaching team.
If you don't mind, I'll probably throw up another post or a few, as there have been things from time-to-time that you all might have found interesting. And I'm open to any questions you might have, altho at this point in time, there may not be much need for those. Congratulations!!! Good luck in BOTH tourneys coming up!

(And thanks for letting me share a thing or two. :))

Shay's short tenure was due to your states ass backwards government.

Win 2 games, including quality Miami win and we are in no doubt. Just don't lie down like little babies and get steamroller by Duke.

Assuming we get by BC, I actually like slowing the pace a little versus Miami. Pound them on the boards and inside to negate their quickness factor a little.

Or just trust Forbes but 3 losses to Miami is not good.

I think we're in, no doubt, with one win. I would love to beat Miami so lets get 2. I don't want any part of Dayton playin games.

Forbes talks about ACC awards, who he nominated, contract extension, tournament prep

Shay

Hope I'm replying correctly here......... There's a box that says "Title", but since this thread already has a title...........?
But here goes..... My own personal beef with Shay was how he treated one particular player. He 'released' him at essentially the last minute to make room for another, graduate transfer. This guy had uprooted his life, moved across the country, and took a redshirt the previous year, waiting on his "big chance" the next one (which was last season) - only to be cut loose for a *perceived* better option. I know it's a rough 'business', but come on - that's cold. And that's not speculation; that's the way it went down. I suspected Forbes had been doing that, too, for the previous 2-3 years (and almost certainly was), but the way Shay did it was clumsy and almost embarrassingly cruel. [I guess I'm old school, and prefer the old model of a coach and school being loyal to a player (and vice versa) for 4 years. Obviously, that's not the current world, but I don't like it.]

Besides that.............Shay wasn't a great 'face' of the program, especially after Forbes. As you all well know, Forbes plays well in the media; Shay just didn't. There's a reason for that, imo, but I'm not sure that needs to be mentioned here.

As to how/why his tenure ended....................as sirdeacalot notes, it was essentially due to the backasswards political climate here. The SI story and other publicity basically caught most of the truth, but without some nuances. The President initially stood up for him (and the team) after the "kneeling incident" in Chattanooga, but then was 'forced' to back away when push came to shove, by state political myopia. Sad, but true. On the other hand...........it may have been the best for both Shay and ETSU in the long run. Time *may* tell. What never came out were the details of the legal settlement that Shay and his agent 'won' from ETSU. We had to pay his salary for the rest of his contract terms, basically (approximately). So he's making serious coin now, but that's ok; he should.

All that said.............Shay is the exact perfect complement to Forbes on the sideline. His forte, like Forbes, is maximizing for each player their strengths. And I know that's a cliche, but it's really true in his case.

3/7 Bracket Matrix Update:

Last 4 byes:
Wake Forest
Michigan - plays IU in B1G 8/9
Miami
Notre Dame

To Dayton:
Wyoming- plays UNLV in MWC 4/5 game in Vegas Thursday
Xavier - plays Butler in Big East 8/9 Wednesday
Rutgers - B1G double bye and will likely play Iowa Friday
SMU - #2 seed in AAC; will play Wichita State-Tulsa winner Friday

First 4 out:
VCU - plays Friday, A10
Indiana
BYU
Oklahoma

3/8 Bracket Matrix Update:

Last 4 Byes:
Michigan - plays IU in B1G 8/9, Thursday
Miami
Wake Forest
Notre Dame

To Dayton:
Xavier - plays Butler in Big East 8/9 Wednesday 4:30
Wyoming- plays UNLV in MWC 4/5 game in Vegas Thursday
Rutgers - B1G double bye and will likely play Iowa Friday
SMU - #2 seed in AAC; will play Wichita State-Tulsa winner Friday

Next 5 out:

VCU - plays Richmond Friday, A10
Indiana - plays Michigan in B1G 8/9, Thursday
BYU - season over
Dayton - plays GW/UMass Friday, A10
Oklahoma - plays Baylor Thursday

most of the teams around us do not play until after we would play Miami on Thursday afternoon. Would be good for WF to go ahead and win these next 2 and lock things up for better than Dayton.

FNcO4t9VkAMM1qZ

tweeted by @4thoutfielder - shows how close Quad 1 games were to Quad 2, etc. Also highlights margin of victory

those losses to Clemson and BC don't look great

This graphic used NET rankings through games of 3/8, but it looks like the Wednesday games did not change things materially (UVA still Quad 2 - they moved down in NET after beating UL by 1 / UL still Quad 3)

Last edited:
[h=1]Program-Record Four Deacs Earn Academic All-ACC Honors[/h]https://godeacs.com/news/2022/4/12/mens-basketball-program-record-four-deacs-earn-academic-all-acc-honors.aspx

1920x1080_71.png

Point of order: DR was never Academic All-ACC. Alondes Williams was.

That's a real stat. Never had a thousand Wake Forest alums demand my jersey be retired either.

Alondes clearly made a smart decision transferring instead of going pro last year. Hope he can bank some money in the next few years. Hope he then makes it thereafter too. Always clap when Wake Forest alums make real money.

Old Town Club, a lovely track, is ranked #92 in the world according to Golf Magazine this year all of a sudden. It’s ahead of such masterpieces as Olympic and Royal Melbourne, according to Golf Magazine.

The only conclusion anyone logically can draw from Old Town not being in the top 1000 in the world by anyone else’s rankings or metrics is that Golf Magazine is full of shit.

Speaking of Deacs making money

Old Town Club, a lovely track, is ranked #92 in the world according to Golf Magazine this year all of a sudden. It’s ahead of such masterpieces as Olympic and Royal Melbourne, according to Golf Magazine.

The only conclusion anyone logically can draw from Old Town not being in the top 1000 in the world by anyone else’s rankings or metrics is that Golf Magazine is full of shit.

What are you even talking about? Old Town has gotten a lot of attention across the industry since the renovation by Crenshaw/Coore. Golf as it #41 in the US and Golf Digest has it #92 in the US. Golf course rankings are very subjective but I certainly trust them more than I do you, although I am sure you have played every course in the top 100, right?

Yeah, that was a nice piece on Ish. I had been thinking he must be getting close to setting the record for most teams. And he's always seemed like a great guy. For a guy who is shooting challenged, he's carved a nice NBA career for himself.

Yeah, that was a nice piece on Ish. I had been thinking he must be getting close to setting the record for most teams. And he's always seemed like a great guy. For a guy who is shooting challenged, he's carved a nice NBA career for himself.

His move to the Hornets last year moved him into the 5 way tie at 12 franchises so his move in Feb back to the Wiz didn’t add to his count. Great story about a hell of a driven fun loving player.

Back