• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

Ikem Ekwonu is rising to the top LT prospect on a lot of draft boards

I thought #5 or 6 would have been WAY too high for him a few weeks ago, but seems like he might be in that range come draft day

5 plays that show the Panthers aren’t putting Sam Darnold in the best position to win
https://www.yahoo.com/news/panthers-film-analysis-5-plays-233826764.html

save a click: the offense should be from under center with plenty of play action passes.

I notice that the Panthers barely try to convince the defense of the hand-off. Striking to see these poor fakes versus what Peyton Manning used to do and Aaron Rodgers does now.

Yeah I’m starting to see this “Panthers are fine on the outside” talk. Ok even if they like Christiansen at LT, take the guy from State who could play LG as well. One of them at LT and the other at LG. Don’t pass up OL in the 1st.

Agreed. Ciara would never go for it anyway.

Yeah, that's not happening. Ciara probably wants NY, but the NYG OL is worse than Seattle's, and they're hamstringing a new GM with Judge - not a tenable situation. NO is the most obvious solution if Loomis can pull a rabbit out of the cap hat, given Wilson's list last year. The other team that would make sense is Denver if Rodgers stays or goes to SF.

For you guys, it's Watson or bust. The good thing is Tua and Hurts have looked good, but the bad thing is he apparently didn't want Carolina, and that was before the 2nd half tanking under Rhule. Maybe the best idea is taking 1 of the top OTs in the 1st and sticking with and sucking with Darnold to get 1 of the 1st 2 picks next year if you can't get Watson.

When can Watson leave on a free? Next offseason?

Once any potential criminal charges are resolved positively for him. Even better, once he resolves the civil suits. They were apparently close a few months ago - 4 holdouts. Then the question becomes could he face further disciplinary action from the league even if no criminal charges are filed - I think that process is going to be wrapped up by February. If Goodell is thinking of suspending him further just because of the civil suits, that could hamper the Texans return for him. I still believe either Easterby or McNair coordinated this whole thing with Buzbee in retaliation for him wanting out and then screwed themselves when the 2-3 cases mushroomed to 22.

Yeah, I think we're going to draft an OL an roll with Darnold next year. I'm less certain about the OL part than the Darnold part though.

However, they do it - draft or free agency, the Panthers HAVE to work to improve the OL or risk losing the fanbase. Any fan paying attention knows the OL is terrible.

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread

The Panthers have #6 and a few day 3 picks. There seem to be three main scenarios for the draft.

Rebuild - trade CMC and maybe some other players to rebuild the 2022 draft capital.

Hope - keep CMC, draft a LT in the 1st, move some of the remaining picks to take a C in the late 3rd or high 4th, and try to get some good UFAs

Trade down - Trade out of the top 10 for a mid-1st, 2nd, and 3rd

I’m for Hope. I doubt there will be much return on trading CMC. Better to stick with him and hope he stays healthy because a healthy CMC with a decent OL and reasonable QB is a major improvement and could contend for a playoff spot. Most other positions can be filled by decent FAs like getting a real starting TE and LB depth.

Last 7 starts

Cam Newton
14 touchdowns
6 turnovers

Sam Darnold
2 touchdowns
12 turnovers
*0 TDs in last 21 quarters

The Panthers have #6 and a few day 3 picks. There seem to be three main scenarios for the draft.

Rebuild - trade CMC and maybe some other players to rebuild the 2022 draft capital.

Hope - keep CMC, draft a LT in the 1st, move some of the remaining picks to take a C in the late 3rd or high 4th, and try to get some good UFAs

Trade down - Trade out of the top 10 for a mid-1st, 2nd, and 3rd

I’m for Hope. I doubt there will be much return on trading CMC. Better to stick with him and hope he stays healthy because a healthy CMC with a decent OL and reasonable QB is a major improvement and could contend for a playoff spot. Most other positions can be filled by decent FAs like getting a real starting TE and LB depth.

trade Burns for a 1st rounder?

Cam could have been the starting QB for the Pats this year. Give him a good OL and CMC and he's a fine placeholder until we can draft a franchise QB.

No he is not. He is probably better than Darnold, but his is D.O.N.E as an effective QB in the league.

Back