• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

Our refusing every year to overdraft linemen is reaching levels of “you miss all the shots you don’t take”

They took 10 players in last year's draft. They took two OL. One was a 25 year old tweener who Rhule doesn't want to play at LT because his arms aren't long enough. The other is a project big OG. They could have restocked the line last year by taking Slater in the 1st and 2 or 3 more players in earlier rounds. We definitely didn't need two WRs.

I still don't think Rhule on the sidelines next season is a done deal. I don't really have much to go on other than just a hunch. And it's a long time between now and next season and it might only take one more eff-up by Rhule in Tepper's eyes for him to fire him. The problem now is so many teams are hunting coaches and I don't think Tepper sees anyone out there he wants, which I think contributed to why he's leaning toward not firing Rhule.

nor should we have drafted a rb because his wife wanted him to

Nah. That was a solid move. Gotta have a backup ready. And if we drafted a stud, CMC could go on the block.

I still don't think Rhule on the sidelines next season is a done deal. I don't really have much to go on other than just a hunch. And it's a long time between now and next season and it might only take one more eff-up by Rhule in Tepper's eyes for him to fire him. The problem now is so many teams are hunting coaches and I don't think Tepper sees anyone out there he wants, which I think contributed to why he's leaning toward not firing Rhule.

Gimme a break. There are some very good names out there who would be potentially strong hires rather than hiring a career college coach (yeah, I know, 1 year as an asst at NYG). How often have these great career college coaches worked out in the pros? Holtz, Spurrier, Saban, Rhule and Meyer?!? Yeah, Pete had success coming from college, but he had been the HC at NE before USC. Face it, Tepper made a lousy hire, and it's blowing up in his face, but he doesn't want to admit it. Flores, Zimmer, Bowles, Leftwich, Daboll, Frazier.... There are plenty of potentially solid hires in this year's cycle if you want to own up to your mistake.

Tepper's and Rhule's other major mistake last offseason was the QB decision. They lost out on Watson and didn't draft a rookie in a strong rookie QB draft and instead traded for Darnold and then unnecessarily picked up his 5th year option. That is gross incompetence. I don't know Tepper like you do, but it seems to me that both he and Rhule came into this with a ton of arrogance thinking they were too good to build from the ground up like most teams and pick a rookie QB - especially considering they had Jones at the SB. No, they were going to win right away and get Watson (who apparently wasn't waiving his no trade clause for Carolina), and when that failed, they doubled down on Darnold who only continued to show us who he has always been. Sorry, but Tepper is coming across as someone who thinks he knows way more than he does because he came from Pittsburgh. If Watson doesn't magically walk through your doors this offseason, your choice for QB will be at best a cut Cousins or 2-3 rookies who don't merit being taken in this year's top 10. Don't even get me started on the 2nd round options like Howell or Ridder. So it's Watson, or you're proper fucked.

why would anyone trade for CMC? his contract is AWFUL; we'd have to give up more to get someone to take him

why would anyone trade for CMC? his contract is AWFUL; we'd have to give up more to get someone to take him

I wouldn't trade run CMC. He's good when he's healthy, and you just don't give him another contract after this 1. But yeah, when you want to unload a bad contract, you have to give up a fair amount of draft capital. And that's what Jerruh is going to do with Zeke this offseason when he trades him to Houston.

And you might be right that Tepper is trying to suck next year so he can get Stroud/Young, but you have to be careful. Just because you want to suck as an owner doesn't mean the coach is going along. Flores didn't go along with Ross his 1st year when they had the worst roster in football, which is why they ended up with Tua instead of Burrow.

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - 5-12, but Rhule is coming back

There's a hopeless way to suck where adding the #1 pick won't matter. And there's a hopeful way to suck where the #1 pick starts a path to the playoffs. Rhule will coach a hopeless suck team.

Looking at more articles popping up about Rhule’s comments about Slater. He’s always given “smartest guy in the room” vibes but this takes the cake. Slater made the Pro Bowl and Rhule still thought he was so smart to give a full explanation of why he didn’t take him. He could have just said Horn was higher on the board or that he made a mistake. Nope.

Last edited:
The comments about Slater make him seem like an egomaniac that thinks he is smarter than everyone, but really make him look stupid.

I think Tepper wants to fire Rhule and I also think he still might. I think the only thing holding Tepper back is that he has so much competition now for any hiring due to so many teams with HC vacancies now and he knows the Panthers job isn't very appealing now. And even more importantly I don't think he sees anyone out there he wants. But I still think its possible Rhule isn't on the sidelines next season.

Yep. The Panthers have problems that go beyond the head coach. They don't have a quarterback or an OL. They have a great RB who plays maybe 50% of the games and eats up your salary cap. They also have decisions to make at WR with DJ becoming a UFA after next year. The linebackers also leave much to be desired.

They also don't have a kicker. I know that's not a deal breaker for any head coach, but it's one more thing that needs to be fixed that is likely to lose you a game along the way.

Lastly, if Tepper fires Rhule it will have been after only two seasons.

Head coaching candidates look at all of these things when choosing what team they want to coach. I said earlier that these guys are egomaniacs who make $5 million a year. But you want to get the best of those egomaniacs.

The coaches that come from college seem to be bigger egomaniacs. I think they are used to being worshipped and having total control over their kingdom.

The coaches that come from college seem to be bigger egomaniacs. I think they are used to being worshipped and having total control over their kingdom.

yeah they can go in some 18-year old's house and be worshipped. you live generally in a small town where you're the biggest deal in your town. if a public school you're probably the highest paid state employee.

Back