• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

Talked to my Panthers source but I didn't really get much. Tepper is pissed. He's in a bad mood. He's pissed at Rhule and he's still pissed at Hurney over that CMC contract and he's just pissed in general. He wants to fire Rhule but just doesn't feel like he can because it's just been 2 years and he thinks you can't fire a HC that fast unless there's a known conflict with the coach's personality and the front office or if the coach has some bad missteps off the field. He thinks - and I think correctly - that it will be hard to hire there if he is known to have a quick trigger due to record. But Tepper is very pissed about Bridgewater and especially Darnold. This will not surprise anyone but it was interesting to hear it from this horse's mouth - Darnold is a talent but he is an absolute donk. A complete and utter dumbass and as a result he has almost no chance to excel for any decent length of time.

Also - and I didn't know this before today - Tepper wanted the Panthers to draft an OL with their first pick but Rule and Fitt were dead set on a CB and thus Horn. So he's pissed at that too. He has been letting the football guys do the football stuff and he is pissed they went the other way.

Tepper also still absolutely wants Watson.

Also, as an aside, Tepper is actually worth upwards of $30 billion. The $16 billion estimate is not close. It matters not but it was something interesting that came out of my conversation today. That guy paid $2.5 billion for the Panthers - all cash. Didn't finance a dime which I think was public knowledge. Said he doesn't care one bit if the Panthers turn a profit - he just wants to win and will clear the hip for whatever he has to in that regard.

The NFL has a quick trigger in general. The Steelers and Panthers may be the only franchises that haven't fired a coach after 2 seasons in my lifetime. Tepper certainly wouldn't get dinged for that.

I don't think someone worth $30B will have a hard time hiring somebody for one of 32 NFL head coach jobs.

Talked to my Panthers source but I didn't really get much. Tepper is pissed. He's in a bad mood. He's pissed at Rhule and he's still pissed at Hurney over that CMC contract and he's just pissed in general. He wants to fire Rhule but just doesn't feel like he can because it's just been 2 years and he thinks you can't fire a HC that fast unless there's a known conflict with the coach's personality and the front office or if the coach has some bad missteps off the field. He thinks - and I think correctly - that it will be hard to hire there if he is known to have a quick trigger due to record. But Tepper is very pissed about Bridgewater and especially Darnold. This will not surprise anyone but it was interesting to hear it from this horse's mouth - Darnold is a talent but he is an absolute donk. A complete and utter dumbass and as a result he has almost no chance to excel for any decent length of time.

Also - and I didn't know this before today - Tepper wanted the Panthers to draft an OL with their first pick but Rule and Fitt were dead set on a CB and thus Horn. So he's pissed at that too. He has been letting the football guys do the football stuff and he is pissed they went the other way.

Tepper also still absolutely wants Watson.

Also, as an aside, Tepper is actually worth upwards of $30 billion. The $16 billion estimate is not close. It matters not but it was something interesting that came out of my conversation today. That guy paid $2.5 billion for the Panthers - all cash. Didn't finance a dime which I think was public knowledge. Said he doesn't care one bit if the Panthers turn a profit - he just wants to win and will clear the hip for whatever he has to in that regard.

See, I read this and assume it to be true, but there's no proof that any of it is true. And I use both the Panthers and Charlotte FC to make that call.

Charlotte FC just sold their only exciting player for 4m. Bought him for 500k last year, never played a match for us, sold for 4m to Europe. 3.5m profit. Great business. Excellent return. Gonna do fuck all for us on the field. What is 3.5m to Tepper if he's worth 30b? No designated players (you get 3, doesn't count against the salary cap, think Beckham, Zlatan, ect.), only 1/3 U22 players for prospects. We're a week away from training camp and the roster is far and away the worst in the league, and they just sold their best piece.

NFL is a little harder to gauge as you can't "buy success" so to say like he can in MLS, but dude has done nothing since showing up at the party after buying the team.

See, I read this and assume it to be true, but there's no proof that any of it is true. And I use both the Panthers and Charlotte FC to make that call.

Charlotte FC just sold their only exciting player for 4m. Bought him for 500k last year, never played a match for us, sold for 4m to Europe. 3.5m profit. Great business. Excellent return. Gonna do fuck all for us on the field. What is 3.5m to Tepper if he's worth 30b? No designated players (you get 3, doesn't count against the salary cap, think Beckham, Zlatan, ect.), only 1/3 U22 players for prospects. We're a week away from training camp and the roster is far and away the worst in the league, and they just sold their best piece.

NFL is a little harder to gauge as you can't "buy success" so to say like he can in MLS, but dude has done nothing since showing up at the party after buying the team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Charlotte FC is a business for him, but the Panthers and NFL football are his passion

The Panthers are interviewing former Giants HC Ben McAdoo for OC. There’s nothing about his background that makes me think he’d be a good hire.

The Panthers are interviewing former Giants HC Ben McAdoo for OC. There’s nothing about his background that makes me think he’d be a good hire.

Pairing McAdoo and Darnold would be the NY Post's wet dream. It would be tough to come up with a more doomed duo.

McAdoo's only "success" came as the QB coach / OC for Aaron Rodgers and ELIte, two guys who at the time required neither coaching nor coordinating.

Yeah, Eli has such an unlimited skill set that there's really not much you need to do. Just let him throw a 32-yard duck on 3rd and 5 into triple coverage after miraculously wiggling out of a sack for a below average receiver to catch with his helmet.

I wouldn't be surprised if Charlotte FC is a business for him, but the Panthers and NFL football are his passion

MLS as a business is a very long term play. He paid $450M to buy in, and most clubs still operate at a loss most seasons. He won’t break even on Charlotte FC in the next decade.

If it’s not a passion project as well, then it’s a really weird investment.

Im not sure what coach with other decent options would join this coaching staff right now. The staff is doomed and it’s hard to imagine this being a successful offense regardless of the hire with all the holes in the roster.

Yeah, Eli has such an unlimited skill set that there's really not much you need to do. Just let him throw a 32-yard duck on 3rd and 5 into triple coverage after miraculously wiggling out of a sack for a below average receiver to catch with his helmet.

Whatever works to get to the HOF.

Rhule trying to hire an OC feels like Trump trying to fill out his candidate

No qualified, good candidates are interested in associating with a hot dumpster fire

I mean part of me hopes he hires someone shitty so we can just move on with the next coach and QB. Rhule and Darny ain't gonna win shit for us.

I'm seeing "too early" mocks with Panthers taking OT or QB in Round 1. Free agency will make that choice clear, but until then which would you pick in round 1 - OT or QB?

I may be done with the Panthers if they pick Pickett at #6.

I'm seeing "too early" mocks with Panthers taking OT or QB in Round 1. Free agency will make that choice clear, but until then which would you pick in round 1 - OT or QB?

Six picks? Take OL with all 6 ... Rhule will miss on 4 of them so need 6 to make sure we at least get two more serviceable OL guys.

Back