• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Good point - maybe it’s next year that we really see people come after him. Let’s remember the Arkansas flirtation was after we finished 5-3 in league play for our second straight winning season.

I think they have higher expectations and more fans, but, to my knowledge, we have the same number of 10 win seasons in history (and should surpass them here), and they haven't even won a conference championship in 30 years.

I didn’t say they’ve made great hires, whereas we have with our last two, but it’s still a better job if for no other reason than you are fishing for recruits in a much bigger pond.

I didn’t say they’ve made great hires, whereas we have with our last two, but it’s still a better job if for no other reason than you are fishing for recruits in a much bigger pond.

True. I guess you could say that about most schools.

True. I guess you could say that about most schools.

Alabama under Shula wasn’t exactly a guarantee as the best job in the country. No one would argue otherwise now. A job standing by itself is simply kindling that the right coach can ignite. The last three hires at Wake led to increased kindling here, and we’re always going to be a job that will depend on a particular skill set to succeed.

Better job isn’t the same as better results on field. TCU and Baylor have lapped Texas on the field in the last decade but no one would ever say they’re better jobs. State is a better job than Wake and VT is too at this moment in time.

It depends on your definition of "better." Do some of these places have more resources? Sure. It's not necessarily considered "better" though if you're not going to win a national championship in 3 years and wind up fired. I'm just me, but I like job security so I wouldn't even think LSU is a good job. They just fired someone mid-season who won a national championship two years ago with a Covid year in between. Maybe this is also the academic in me who just feels grateful to have a tenure-track job in this hellscape.

Yeah. We've had this discussion before. A "good job" means different things to different people. It seems to come down to a few different factors: likelihood of winning a CFP championship, job security, and tradition. Those things conflict for most programs. There are only a few CFP level programs that offer the type of job security Grobe enjoyed.

For many reasons, Wake and Dave Clawson seem to be an excellent fit- the big question for him may be that he sees this year as the apex of what Wake can do and he wants the challenge. Not all these places s noted above, really offer a higher ceiling in their respective situations. We will pay him, we have a new huge investment in the program, and Claw has the chance of clearly being our coaching legendary GOAT. If he stays, I would think that one day Wake will play on the Dave Clawson Field at the Bank-of-the-Moment Stadium. If he goes I will still love him and I am hoping that Currie has some the young hot and up comers on our coach prospect list. I don't love but I don't mind losing coaches because they are successful.

Last edited:
I would imagine 90% of the coaches in America would trade that job security for a $30/$50 mm buy-out if they swing and miss at a big boy program after a few years. That’s enough money to create trusts for generations for your family. Grobe was one of that other 10%. Is Dave? Who knows. I certainly hope so but what would you do if you were in his shoes?

For many reasons, Wake and Dave Clawson seem to be an excellent fit- the big question for him may be that he sees this year as the apex of what Wake can do and he wants the challenge. Not all these paces s noted some above, really offer a higher ceiling in their respective situations. We will pay him, we have a new huge investment in the program, and Claw has the chance of clearly being our GOAT. If he stays, I would think that one day Wake will play on the Dave Clawson Field at the Bank-of-the-Moment Stadium. If he goes I ill still love him and I hope that Currie has some the young hot and up comers on our list. Don't love but I don't mind losing coaches because they are successful.

If anything I think it's shown that making the playoff at Wake Forest is very possible instead of the opposite.

With the money that has recently flowed into the WF football program, I would not be so sure to assume that Clawson won’t accrue generational wealth at WF

I agree with the fact that money wouldn’t be reason DC moves on from WF. Our ownership group can pay him what he needs. He moves on if he is ready for his next challenge or feels like he’s reached ceiling.

There is nothing in the last 20 years that has shown that NCSU is a better coaching job than Wake Forest. We have outstanding facilities (which will only improve with the new donation), already won an ACC Championship and played in the Orange Bowl, have gone to good bowl games, and now are in the conversation for the CFP. Whereas NCSU's biggest achievement in that time span was a Gator Bowl victory in 2003.

Don't agree that its clear that State or VT are "better programs" than WF. Think it depends on the coach. With the infusion of cash by the Sutton, McCreary and Shah triumvirate, WF's facilities are as good if not better than almost any BCS program (yes, below Bama, Clemson and a few others, but definitely in the top half in not top 20). Also, comparatively, WF has about the most understanding and patient fanbase in the country. That is huge for any coach. Not claiming that Winston-Salem is the best place in the world to live, but generally coaches love it here. Know for a fact that assistants on both Caldwell's and Grobe's staff turned down higher paying offers from other programs because their families really liked living in Winston. Don't have the same knowledge with Clawson's staff, but doubt any successful staff has had less attrition than WF over recent years. Coaches like it here. For the same reason that many of WF's students that could have attended VT or NC State (or almost every other ACC School) , but chose to attend to WF, coaches choose to stay at WF rather than go to other schools. Not saying WF is for everyone, its not, but I think when assessing the attractiveness of a program, fans tend to put size of stadium and attendance WAY AHEAD of how coaches feel about it.

For the facilities, quality of life, quality of school, "program and school" vibe, I can see WF as a more attractive coaching job than VT or NC State or a lot of other programs with bigger stadia and large fanbases. So, cannot concede the point that those programs are "better jobs" at least not for every coach.

Yeah. We've had this discussion before. A "good job" means different things to different people. It seems to come down to a few different factors: likelihood of winning a CFP championship, job security, and tradition. Those things conflict for most programs. There are only a few CFP level programs that offer the type of job security Grobe enjoyed.

I believe it was former ECU head coach Steve Logan who said that the dream job was "Fired SEC football coach."

His formula: "Win somewhere you're not supposed to, get hired by a place that won't appreciate you, get fired without cause."

I am really interested in the timing of all these moves given the early signing day (12/15).

I would assume a lot of the bigger programs want to have their position filled ahead of that, if only to avoid completely punting on the new coach's first class of recruits.

Regular season ends the Saturday after Thanksgiving (11/27)... So I'd expect a lot of action the following week, especially with candidates that aren't going to a conference championship game (Mel Tucker & James Franklin).

I am really interested in the timing of all these moves given the early signing day (12/15).

I would assume a lot of the bigger programs want to have their position filled ahead of that, if only to avoid completely punting on the new coach's first class of recruits.

Regular season ends the Saturday after Thanksgiving (11/27)... So I'd expect a lot of action the following week, especially with candidates that aren't going to a conference championship game (Mel Tucker & James Franklin).

Yeah, if we win one more I actually think it takes Clawson out of contention for any of these jobs because he's not going to leave before the conference championship game and they're all going to want someone to get to work immediately to salvage a recruiting class before 12/15.

Back