• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Grobe is paying attention to this season I’m sure and thrilled for us. Will he on the sidelines or on camera during a game? Don’t think that’s his personality and he’s all class- doesn’t take away from DC.

I would like to see him "Open the Gate" sometime. There was an article in the High Point paper a few weeks ago talking about how when Clawson became coach, he asked Grobe to go to lunch and he asked him about the things he thought allowed him to have success here and the things he'd do different in hindsight. Clawson said that was very helpful.

Well, the VT rubes seem convinced they're getting Clawson. Just saw a RT of a Message Board Geniuses screenshot and went to their boards and they're trying to talk themselves into him, but say there's a lot of smoke. Which is dumb because I don't think any of us have seen anything other than Clawson's name being on all the VT coaching candidate list articles.

That team didn’t threaten the status quo. It was a feel good story.

BINGO!

Which worries me for Saturday. Do you think the ACC would rather have a 9-3 Clemson or an 11-1 Wake Forest playing in the ACCCG?

My worry is that we may have three holding calls on us Saturday before the team gets off the bus. We've seen it before in Clemson.

My only concern is Wake wins out and gets snubbed for Cincy or a 2-loss team and Clawson decides the deck will forever be stacked against Wake and moves onto a name brand.

If we get snubbed for Cincy, that just shows we are next team up with another good year.

I want to say it’s like $3.6 mm- about 4th in ACC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCPLt3aziUg

I think the clip the article is referring to starts right at the 20 minute mark. The whole thing is worth a listen though.

That’s a great clip. When he said Wake was his dream job in his intro press conference, I thought it was a nice sentiment but also what you’re supposed to say. This story gives that some weight.

Has anyone seen or heard from Grobe in years? Kind of surprised he's not getting interviewed since he was here the last time we had a real run.

Grobe is doing well and enjoying playing golf as often as possible.

Grobe is now 69. His last coaching stint was as the DC for the San Antonio Commanders in the AAF. He coached continuously from 1975 to 2013; took 3 years off, before he picked up the pieces at Baylor for a year in 2016, and then the brief stint in the AAF. He coached and recruited the best defense that WF likely will ever have,

If Clawson has designs on coaching until his mid-60's or later, makes sense to seriously consider a jump to the "big time" (i.e. national brand) this year; otherwise, he's possibly waiting for another 10+ win season to get back into that "hot prospect" arena. And regardless of how the future at Wake looks today, 10-win season are always hard to come by; ask NCSU.

But I could also see Clawson 100% enjoying his current situation at Wake, but also looking to retire from coaching and maybe moving into athletics administration, development, broadcasting, etc. by the time he's late 50's or 60. And what better connections than guys like Shah, Currie and Sutton to grease those wheels should you want to move in that direction down the road. He's about as well-connected as you could ask for right now; at big-time-U you're back-to-back mediocre seasons from being spoiled leftovers.

Last edited:
Clawson better not leave a fanbase who wants him to go coach for a bunch of ungrateful rubes.

$95 million seems like a lot for a guy who was a meh hire less than two years ago. $9.5 million a year is a lot for any coach. I don't know how much return a program gets from that.

$95 million seems like a lot for a guy who was a meh hire less than two years ago. $9.5 million a year is a lot for any coach. I don't know how much return a program gets from that.

Half of that should go to KW3

At least. Not sure how you can "attempt" to sign a college coach for $9.5M. Draw up the contract and that's a done deal.

$9.5 mm a year is Dabo/Saban level money. Mel Tucker is a good coach but he hasn’t even sniffed the CFP.

Back