• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Coral Gables High School is what I read. I assume that's public and that was the basis for the red tape comment. I have absolutely no idea how that would work or get passed through whatever city councils it would need to. The residents of Coral Gables are already highly resistant to a stadium being built there and this guy is proposing not only that but also relocating the high school. Where would he relocate the high school to? The problem with finding space for a high school is the same as finding space for a stadium. Maybe the HS is in some serious disrepair and he offers to build a new state of the art facility in a 6 or 7 story building on the Miami campus or otherwise small footprint location and their athletic teams get to use the athletic facilities at the University?

Okay, so that site is 25 acres, which might work, but it's a narrow site. Groves Stadium is about 650 feet wide across the 50-yard line and that site is about 700 feet wide. But the area around the stadium would be totally gridlocked on gamedays. So does he plan to move the school and its 3,300 students to the Everglades ?

Well now, guess the SPAC deal went through? He is the richest man in Florida, if it did. And one of the richest in the U.S. This guy seems to be connected af. Or its just a little noise to help the program get some juice with a new hire.

Last edited:
So now we will (hopefully) be hiring for a DC at the same time as Penn State.

Broyles award winner, record setting offense at LSU, had numerous OC offers before he picked the panthers. Its not like he was working with the best in Carolina with Darnold, Bridgewater and Newton. Give him Oregon's resources and skill players and he would seem to be set up for success.

He also reportedly hates recruiting, FWIW.

They can't all be winners!

I just think the move from Big12 to SEC will be difficult, but that's not the fault of Venables.

Oklahoma has been fortunate with Stoops and Riley... I can't imagine they'll have much patience as Venables tries to take the current (and incoming) roster and shift from an offensive-focused team to a defensive-focused one. I know he brought in the dude from Ole Miss for OC, so maybe I have the wrong read. I just have a bad feeling about it. Venables seems like a DC and not a head coach to me... But I am admittedly narrow-minded and probably ill-informed.

During my lifetime, Oklahoma has only been down for most of the 90s and maybe 3 years in the 80s. Perhaps they are due for a down period, and you never know with a new coach.

But I will say that Riley's "Coach Bro" attitude and cult of personality had created a lax, undisciplined atmosphere in the program. This is all coming out now not as speculation, but as fact. He also insisted on having the "Speed D" approach, which meant his S&C was focused on getting guys smaller and faster. It was succeeding at making them smaller only. That defensive mindset would've been great if it was the same Big 12 conference that it was when Art Briles was still coaching Baylor, but it isn't. You may have also noticed that the same approach didn't work so well recently with Patterson at TCU, whose defenses thrived on the "smaller and faster" thing for years. The conference has been trending away from its ridiculous offenses for a while now.

Every coaching hire brings risk, but it was apparent from early on that Venables was the guy. His former players at OU LOVE the guy, and I mean almost gay mancrushes. They say he is a maniac on the field and in practice and the nicest guy off the field, which is exactly what the program needs. He will bring a new focus to S&C and accountability both in the weight room and at practice. He's a great recruiter who will focus on the D. It's noteworthy that the entire D to this point seems to be completely on board. However, OU did just lose a huge commit to aTm yesterday-- one that could've transformed the D line instantly next year. Perhaps he'll flip again, but I doubt it because BV has reportedly gutted the old defensive staff.

5 years ago I would've said no way to Venables. Too much Stoops continuity and he didn't end his tenure at OU particularly well. But he has had vast, vast experience as an understudy to three HOF coaches and should bring a little of each. On paper, this is a great hire by OU. But again, you never know. I do, however, feel confident that he's the better coach than FULR for bringing OU into the SEC.

FULR, FWIW, is bringing much of the same staff and problems (including the S&C guy) with him to USC. Unless he has learned from his tenure at OU, which is entirely possible, he is likely to recruit great and put forth a product that decreases in quality incrementally every year. A lot of coaches at USC have done that.

I’d rather be the Clemson OC than the Duke HC any day of the week.

Why are so many people looking to bolt Clemson now? Hmmm

Because Dabo is leaving to coach the Raiders.

Just fun baseless speculation I heard.

I'm gonna say that Poindexter was probably not UVA's 1st choice, or at least shouldn't have been their 1st choice. Looks like they missed on Elliott, and if Elliott were to choose Duke, that would be truly confounding. Poindexter is probably more a move made out of desperate hope, but I hope I'm wrong for his sake. He was 1 of the best college safeties I've ever seen and would have been drafted in the top 20 had he not killed his knee his senior year. At least VT and UVA are getting coaches with VA roots, so let's see if it helps them recruit the state better than both are currently doing.

What are Pry’s Virginia roots?

Going to be a fascinating rivalry between these two.

During my lifetime, Oklahoma has only been down for most of the 90s and maybe 3 years in the 80s. Perhaps they are due for a down period, and you never know with a new coach.

But I will say that Riley's "Coach Bro" attitude and cult of personality had created a lax, undisciplined atmosphere in the program. This is all coming out now not as speculation, but as fact. He also insisted on having the "Speed D" approach, which meant his S&C was focused on getting guys smaller and faster. It was succeeding at making them smaller only. That defensive mindset would've been great if it was the same Big 12 conference that it was when Art Briles was still coaching Baylor, but it isn't. You may have also noticed that the same approach didn't work so well recently with Patterson at TCU, whose defenses thrived on the "smaller and faster" thing for years. The conference has been trending away from its ridiculous offenses for a while now.

Every coaching hire brings risk, but it was apparent from early on that Venables was the guy. His former players at OU LOVE the guy, and I mean almost gay mancrushes. They say he is a maniac on the field and in practice and the nicest guy off the field, which is exactly what the program needs. He will bring a new focus to S&C and accountability both in the weight room and at practice. He's a great recruiter who will focus on the D. It's noteworthy that the entire D to this point seems to be completely on board. However, OU did just lose a huge commit to aTm yesterday-- one that could've transformed the D line instantly next year. Perhaps he'll flip again, but I doubt it because BV has reportedly gutted the old defensive staff.

5 years ago I would've said no way to Venables. Too much Stoops continuity and he didn't end his tenure at OU particularly well. But he has had vast, vast experience as an understudy to three HOF coaches and should bring a little of each. On paper, this is a great hire by OU. But again, you never know. I do, however, feel confident that he's the better coach than FULR for bringing OU into the SEC.

FULR, FWIW, is bringing much of the same staff and problems (including the S&C guy) with him to USC. Unless he has learned from his tenure at OU, which is entirely possible, he is likely to recruit great and put forth a product that decreases in quality incrementally every year. A lot of coaches at USC have done that.

All pretty reasonable.

I could be wrong about Venables. Seems like a good dude, for sure.

But I think you are way off base on Riley. You make it seem like he was a horrible coach. 5 years at Oklahoma and a 55-10 record, 4 Big 12 Championships, two #1 overall QBs (in back to back years). The 1-3 record in bowls is really the only blemish I can see, but those were all CFP / New Year's Six bowls.

yeah OU fans are acting like Riley would've been fired next season anyway, he was just getting out ahead of that.

Back