• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Hard not to feel some sympathy for Diaz. Miami has talent and improved as the season went on. There he sits, in the coach's seat, knowing that there is probably activity to replace him and knowing that, if they don't, he's a fallback choice.

I don't feel bad for Diaz. He was basically gifted that job because of his name.

I don't feel bad for Diaz. He was basically gifted that job because of his name.

This coming from a guy whose team’s coach is named “Smart.”

Manny Diaz fired, so guess Cristobal is happening. Saw a tweet last night that Miami is using the money from what the hospital(s?) generated during Covid.

Manny Diaz fired, so guess Cristobal is happening. Saw a tweet last night that Miami is using the money from what the hospital(s?) generated during Covid.

81470550.jpg

Can we hire Manny as defensive coordinator? Do we even need to fire Lyle first?

he also took the HC job at temple and then ditched them a few weeks later for the miami job. not faulting him for that but that's the business.

more think that having diaz as a lame duck was just a bad idea for miami.

Maybe this has been touched on - but who is doing the hiring/firing at Miami, given that they don't have an AD right now? Seems like a really odd situation. And I guess you'd rather know that Cristobal is your football coach versus Diaz, but it has to be a weird dynamic for an incoming AD to know that there are people around that are powerful enough to fire and hire coaches without the "expertise" of an AD.

Maybe this has been touched on - but who is doing the hiring/firing at Miami, given that they don't have an AD right now? Seems like a really odd situation. And I guess you'd rather know that Cristobal is your football coach versus Diaz, but it has to be a weird dynamic for an incoming AD to know that there are people around that are powerful enough to fire and hire coaches without the "expertise" of an AD.

Nevin Shapiro and Uncle Luke hosting Zoom interviews.

Sure in an ordinary situation. But this is Miami hiring a former Miami player, GA, and assistant coach who is an obvious great pickup before hiring a Miami MBA grad and AD staffer who has been in the ACC since 2006.

I wonder if Oregon's weak finish was a symptom of Cristobal's Miami interest or a factor in his decision. Miami is a trainwreck.

Read online that some high dollar Miami attorney, whose wife is related to Cristobal, has offered to spend up to $300M to build a 50,000 seat stadium in Coral Gables.

Predictions:

Cristobal just OK at Miami... Slightly improved in 2-3 years (competing for the Coastal), but not "back". Long leash, though.
Venables a disaster at Oklahoma. Gone in 3 years.
Riley a home run at USC... Winning the Pac-12 in 2-3 years (or less) and a factor in the CFP.
Freeman is a complete wild card to me. A worthwhile risk. Gun to head, I think he doesn't get enough time and is gone after a couple of years.
Kelly seems like a terrible fit at LSU, but if he can get off to a good start I think he can get it rolling very quickly.

Abstaining on Napier because I really want him to succeed. I am biased.

I'm sure I am forgetting others.

I tend to agree with the rest, but why will Venables be a disaster at OU? He could have had a bunch of jobs over the last few years but waited for just the right opening for him.

I hope Kelly crashes and burns at LSU. Dude makes Nick Saban likeable by comparison.

Back