• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Interesting about the Clemson AD to Miami. The OU boards are full of speculation as always and while most believe it is going to be Venables, there have been some rumblings that it could be Dabo w/ Venables. Nobody has put much stock in the Dabo stuff, but with the Clemson AD on the move, a lot of eyebrows just went up. Of course, Dabo could go to Miami and Venables to OU.

I just don’t see Dabo going anywhere. He’s built a great program at Clemson.

Even Alabama after Saban retires… Would you really want to step into that situation? No thanks.

Brad Brownell is probably not thrilled with this development.

I’ll say it again… Brad Brownell should dust off the ol’ resume. Even with the extension he just signed.

New AD will want to do something. And he sure as shit isn’t going to mess with football.

For sake of the ACC- we need Dabo to stay at Clemson (though I wouldn’t complain if Venables was gone). Clemson’s run the last 6 years arguably saved the ACC from being gobbled up and picks of the liter (Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA) bolting to SEC or Big Ten with Deacs left in an ACC without any clout - much like the Big East and soon to be Big 12. Yes- we ain’t gonna be kicked out of ACC but folks could leave and conference folds. Clemson had a path to natty every year that is so much easier in the ACC than SEC (that is of course other than the Deacs).

FWIW, my UVA friend who I go to hoops games with was furious about Mendenhall last night. He thinks Mendenhall is a lousy coach and recruiter in the 1st place, but his leaving at this time in this particular cycle puts UVA behind the 8 ball in terms of hiring a good replacement. I think he's probably correct, and it's not going to help their recruiting class, which is ranked in the high 40s (and they only have 2 of the VA top 30, as usual). I'm guessing UVA will be down for a few to several more years, so no reason for me to think about getting season tix again.

FWIW, my UVA friend who I go to hoops games with was furious about Mendenhall last night. He thinks Mendenhall is a lousy coach and recruiter in the 1st place, but his leaving at this time in this particular cycle puts UVA behind the 8 ball in terms of hiring a good replacement. I think he's probably correct, and it's not going to help their recruiting class, which is ranked in the high 40s (and they only have 2 of the VA top 30, as usual). I'm guessing UVA will be down for a few to several more years, so no reason for me to think about getting season tix again.

Bronco is a very good coach. Look at his record. UVA has high academic standards. Your friend needs to get realistic about UVA football.

Bronco is a very good coach. Look at his record. UVA has high academic standards. Your friend needs to get realistic about UVA football.

UVA's academic standards are no higher than ours. They were a fixture in the top 25 from the mid 80s to early 00s. But Al Groh killed their program when he pissed off all of the VA HS coaches, and neither London nor Mendenhall have been able to re-establish their recruiting to where it was in the Welsh and early Groh years (and in-state recruiting has been horrific). 20+ years ago, UVA and VT would get 20+ of the VA top 30 recruits. Now they get 7-8. Mack Brown is killing it in VA, though fortunately he's not doing much in terms of a record with his top 10-15 recruiting classes.

That’s dumb. The regular season just ended. Did he want him to quit dury the season? If they are behind the 8 ball it’s because it’s not an attractive program. Who did he think UVA would get if he quit sooner?

Clemson in collapse. Love it. Destabilized programs everywhere. This is our moment. Everything in place. Coach,AD, President. It's time to hone iron into steel. Never a time in our history to have a sustainable program. We just cannot waste this moment in time. Just think how far Duke has to go today.

Clemson in collapse. Love it. Destabilized programs everywhere. This is our moment. Everything in place. Coach,AD, President. It's time to hone iron into steel. Never a time in our history to have a sustainable program. We just cannot waste this moment in time.

Clawson made an interesting comment on the Packer/Durham show this week. He said to the effect that Wake has decided to be very competitive in football and that Wente and Currie are fully on board. He qualified by saying kids must go to class. But, I've not heard that strong of a statement in my lifetime from a Wake Forest football coach.

Stanford, Michigan, Cal, UCLA, Notre Dame, and Northwestern are ranked higher than UVA (by USNWR, FWIW) and have had/are having more football success this century. Southern Cal. is one spot behind them. Using academics to explain UVA's (under)performance on the football field is just an excuse, especially considering it's the flagship universisty in a relatively talent-rich state.

Clemson in collapse. Love it. Destabilized programs everywhere. This is our moment. Everything in place. Coach,AD, President. It's time to hone iron into steel. Never a time in our history to have a sustainable program. We just cannot waste this moment in time. Just think how far Duke has to go today.

How does Clemson losing their AD produce a “collapse”? I was there and they beat the ever living shit out of us.

My Miami connect said they got Cristobal.

Around $8M a year and a huge staff budget to get elite coordinators maybe even NFL guys.

Last edited:
Before they even fire Diaz? Wow. Maybe that’s why the OC jumped ship to Akron

Back