• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

ELC is in my top 3 favorite posters with babydeac and 2&2 all for very different reasons. Still love you, birdman, but you need to say some crazy shit to move up.

This is good stuff right here:

So one could say the highway is 3 inches and 50 feet long.

247 is saying that the Duke job is down to Elko and Tony Elliott. I find it interesting that Elko would turn down Temple last year, but think Duke is a good move. Maybe he looks at Clawson and think he can do the same thing at Duke?

247 is saying that the Duke job is down to Elko and Tony Elliott. I find it interesting that Elko would turn down Temple last year, but think Duke is a good move. Maybe he looks at Clawson and think he can do the same thing at Duke?

Probably and let's hope he's wrong.

Big question at Duke is whether they have some people who are willing g to do what McCreary, Sutton et al. have done for Wake. Facilities arms race is on and Duke hasn't been competitive.

Big question at Duke is whether they have some people who are willing g to do what McCreary, Sutton et al. have done for Wake. Facilities arms race is on and Duke hasn't been competitive.

They did make some big upgrade to Wally World, but I know the Yoh Football Center has been around for awhile and probably needs some upgrades.

Probably D'Brickishaw and Tiki. They were both great in college and the pros. Shawn Moore never made it in the NFL. UVA had some really good teams back in the 90s, and I think folks forget that because they've sucked for the last 15 years or so.

Was responding to Ph's question. Sorry, posting fail.

Last edited:

The Duke job is the Wake job with better name recognition and a better path to the ACCCG. Wake fans shitting on the Duke job makes no sense. Duke is obviously a much better job than Temple.

The Duke job is the Wake job with better name recognition and a better path to the ACCCG. Wake fans shitting on the Duke job makes no sense. Duke is obviously a much better job than Temple.

Worse facilities by far but I otherwise agree with you. They are in the easier division with better name recognition. I’ll also throw out that I’m not sure about there academic requirements for athletes. It is well attested that their bball players can take classes other places. With a larger enrollment than us I’d also assume that they may have “athlete” classes that WF does not.

He was gifted that job, one that anybody not named Nick Saban would've killed for, so yeah, I expected better form from FULR. But it's 2021.

Yet you had to give an assistant coach about an 800% raise to take it.

From 2006 to 2018 the Temple coaches have been, Al Golden, Steve Addazio, Matt Rhule, Geoff Collins. Each one of those guys succeeded at Temple and moved onto a better job. Isn't that what a first time coach like Elko is looking for? Somewhere they can get experience, succeed, and move on to somewhere bigger? Also he is from Jersey, so regional familiarity. Steve Spurrier is the only one who moved on from Duke to a better gig. In 13 seasons Cutcliffe had 5 winning seasons at Duke. So unless these guys are looking at Duke as a lifetime job, I don't think its a better gig. Duke is probably one of the toughest coaching jobs in the country. Duke is clearly a basketball school and that is how the money is going to flow in the athletic department.

From 2006 to 2018 the Temple coaches have been, Al Golden, Steve Addazio, Matt Rhule, Geoff Collins. Each one of those guys succeeded at Temple and moved onto a better job. Isn't that what a first time coach like Elko is looking for? Somewhere they can get experience, succeed, and move on to somewhere bigger? Also he is from Jersey, so regional familiarity. Steve Spurrier is the only one who moved on from Duke to a better gig. In 13 seasons Cutcliffe had 5 winning seasons at Duke. So unless these guys are looking at Duke as a lifetime job, I don't think its a better gig. Duke is probably one of the toughest coaching jobs in the country. Duke is clearly a basketball school and that is how the money is going to flow in the athletic department.

Duke is a far better job than Temple -- not even close.

Duke's resources are miles ahead of Temple's. Temple was on the verge of giving up football in the early 2000s. While the situation has improved, their facilities are horrendous, and given their location in the middle of Philly, Temple's facilities will be hamstrung by lack of space. Also, playing in the AAC which will become increasingly irrelevant with the loss of Cincy, Houston and UCF. Duke is a Power V job and while they don't have much (any) of a football following, in the Coastal Division of the ACC, Duke has about the easiest consistent path to a conference championship game as any Power V school. That's why every school in the Coastal has made the ACCG in the last 10 years.

Even with some academic limitations, the caliber of HS player that you can recruit to Duke as a Power V program is consistently ahead of the a player that you can recruit to Temple. Think about it: you are a 3 star recruit from TN and you have offers from Duke and Temple to play football where would you go? A Duke education is worth far more. Playing in the ACC gives you far more exposure than the AAC. Temple is a commuter school located in the 'hood. It's not a close call for most recruits.

Generally, Temple's roster is made up of players with no Power V offers or "down" transfers (players that couldn't get PT at a Power V program) or guys with academic or other issues that prevent Power V interest. Sometimes, you can cobble together a competitive roster with those limitations, but it's not easy. Finally, Duke can pay their head coach and assistant coaches substantially more than Temple can pay their coaches.

Duke is a far better job than Temple -- not even close.

Duke's resources are miles ahead of Temple's. Temple was on the verge of giving up football in the early 2000s. While the situation has improved, their facilities are horrendous, and given their location in the middle of Philly, Temple's facilities will be hamstrung by lack of space. Also, playing in the AAC which will become increasingly irrelevant with the loss of Cincy, Houston and UCF. Duke is a Power V job and while they don't have much (any) of a football following, in the Coastal Division of the ACC, Duke has about the easiest consistent path to a conference championship game as any Power V school. That's why every school in the Coastal has made the ACCG in the last 10 years.

Even with some academic limitations, the caliber of HS player that you can recruit to Duke as a Power V program is consistently ahead of the a player that you can recruit to Temple. Think about it: you are a 3 star recruit from TN and you have offers from Duke and Temple to play football where would you go? A Duke education is worth far more. Playing in the ACC gives you far more exposure than the AAC. Temple is a commuter school located in the 'hood. It's not a close call for most recruits.

Generally, Temple's roster is made up of players with no Power V offers or "down" transfers (players that couldn't get PT at a Power V program) or guys with academic or other issues that prevent Power V interest. Sometimes, you can cobble together a competitive roster with those limitations, but it's not easy. Finally, Duke can pay their head coach and assistant coaches substantially more than Temple can pay their coaches.

Then why in the last 10 years has Duke had 9 players drafted and Temple has had 20? Why is it then that Cutcliffe's reported salary was 2.8 million and Rod Carey's was 3.2 million in 2019?

Because of Cutcliffe.

My main point had been to compare the Duke openings to those of Virginia and Virginia Tech. Those are better schools, resource and tradition wise. I’m surprised these coaches haven’t ended up there.

Duke has definite potential if the resources lineup, but they do have a long-standing history of being a joke of a football program. We have overcome that consistently, but they have only in certain moments. This year they’re back to experiencing blowouts.

This hire is bigger for us to watch than any other out there given our annual tilt with Duke.

I’m so tired of the coastal being the lesser division. Would be nice if some of the strength went to that side of the conference. I guess as long as *Dabo is around, the Atlantic will have the upper hand.

*and Clawson!

Then why in the last 10 years has Duke had 9 players drafted and Temple has had 20? Why is it then that Cutcliffe's reported salary was 2.8 million and Rod Carey's was 3.2 million in 2019?

Carey didn't make $3.2 million in salary in 2019. He made $2 million (which was his salary at Temple), and Temple also paid Carey $1.1 million to allow Carey to buy out his contract at N. Illinois. That had to be reported as income, but was simply used to buy out his NIU contract.
https://247sports.com/college/temple/Article/Rod-Carey-salary-Temple-football-Carey-received-32-million-in-2019-salary-and-buyout-money-165729666/

I really like the idea of Duke getting worse, VT and VA about the same. Miami too. let them all be competitive but lag behind.

Taking the Duke job if you’re Elko feels pretty high risk/high reward. The likelihood of failure is really high but if you do well you could probably flip that to a much better job especially with his experience as DC at two (three?!) major programs. But the margin for error is razor thin and I’d want serious commitments from the administration/major boosters that the infrastructure gets upgraded significantly.

Back