• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Taking the Duke job if you’re Elko feels pretty high risk/high reward. The likelihood of failure is really high but if you do well you could probably flip that to a much better job especially with his experience as DC at two (three?!) major programs. But the margin for error is razor thin and I’d want serious commitments from the administration/major boosters that the infrastructure gets upgraded significantly.

Elko has been considered an elite DC for a while, and he has received many high profile offers. Even if crashed and burned at Duke, Elko would always have limitless opportunities to go back and work for a top 5 program as a DC. If he succeeds at Duke, top 10 schools will be interested. Not really that much risk. FWIW, Elko hails from Duke's recruiting base: NJ.

Elko has been considered an elite DC for a while, and he has received many high profile offers. Even if crashed and burned at Duke, Elko would always have limitless opportunities to go back and work for a top 5 program as a DC. If he succeeds at Duke, top 10 schools will be interested. Not really that much risk. FWIW, Elko hails from Duke's recruiting base: NJ.

You’re right, he will always have a spot as DC for a top program. I’m thinking more in terms of his path to HC at a top program. He can always come back here if he wants :)

I'm confused. I thought UVA hired Poindexter... But now I see a tweet that Tony Elliott is the leading candidate?

What happened?

I really like the idea of Duke getting worse, VT and VA about the same. Miami too. let them all be competitive but lag behind.

Not to mention - the Pitt program is in about as good of a place as their fans can reasonably expect. They are a lousy first half against Western Michigan away from being in the playoff conversation this year. Will be interesting to see if Narduzzi can maintain this level or if they caught lightning in a bottle with Pickett, Addison and a quality D.

Not sure how that answer is that big of a botch, but backing away from a UVA legend (who is from Lynchburg), won't help recruiting. There are a ton UVA players in the portal. This could be a long rebuild. Bronco hosed UVA with the timing of his decision to leave. The job search has made it worse. FWIW, Clawson has done well recruiting in VA; the changes at UVA and VT may lead to more gains in the Commonwealth.

Not sure how that answer is that big of a botch, but backing away from a UVA legend (who is from Lynchburg), won't help recruiting. There are a ton UVA players in the portal. This could be a long rebuild. Bronco hosed UVA with the timing of his decision to leave. The job search has made it worse. FWIW, Clawson has done well recruiting in VA; the changes at UVA and VT may lead to more gains in the Commonwealth.

This. UVA could be a bottom feeder for quite a while - returning to their pre-Welsh roots. And yeah, Wake has been getting slightly more VA top 30 kids than UVA has.

Why not just take that if you’re Jimbo? Whether you end up being successful or not is just totally secondary with some of these offers.

Why not just take that if you’re Jimbo? Whether you end up being successful or not is just totally secondary with some of these offers.

Because he wanted to coach against Wake in the bowl game.

He’s going to beat Nick Saban and lose to Dave Clawson. As it should be.

Back