• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Republican Coup (Practice Run)

I disagree. He's not a showman like Trump, but he knows how to use rhetoric and policy to rile up the masses. Look at how easily he turned Republicans against Disney. DeSantis is definitely driven to be a dictator and he's young enough (43) to do decades of damage.

That’s not new. The Southern Baptist Convention used fear of gay folks to turn rubes against Disney in the 90s. It’s not a new button to push.

That’s not new. The Southern Baptist Convention used fear of gay folks to turn rubes against Disney in the 90s. It’s not a new button to push.

All while hiding the real ring of pedophiles. Their pastors.

I disagree. He's not a showman like Trump, but he knows how to use rhetoric and policy to rile up the masses. Look at how easily he turned Republicans against Disney. DeSantis is definitely driven to be a dictator and he's young enough (43) to do decades of damage.

This is correct. He is acting like a little dictator in FL already. He is killing academic freedom in the universities (ending tenure), centralizing control over education (revoking state funding for school districts that dared to implement their own Covid safety policy), centralizing public health policy (closed dozens of public health offices in the state and have authority to Ladapo), using the power of government to punish business and municipalities that go against his rule (Disney Tax status, Tampa stadium funding), he is attacking powerless minorities (trans and gay communities), and more. He is dangerous if he ever gets into the Oval.

I posted this tweet this morning and I don’t understand how people like wakelaw13 can say things like “there is hope” and “this is the beginning of the end of Trump.” The damn star witness from yesterday’s hearing is out there saying “well, he did try to start an insurrection and get me to illegally reject the AZ votes and my family got death threats…but he’s better than anything DemocRATS have to offer in 2024.”

I get saying that this is the beginning of the end of Trump. But what comes after Trump?

I get saying that this is the beginning of the end of Trump. But what comes after Trump?

Trump as an individual may be done, but the cult of Trump is vibrant and dangerous and not going away.

Right. This is a transition period.

Trumpisim is alive and well. Down ballot GOP candidates did very well in 2020, and even the candidates not endorsed by trump are acting like trump.

I honestly don't get saying that this is the beginning of the end of trump. If he decides to run again he will absolutely win the nomination. I would be surprised if he's currently less favorable among GOP voters than he was in at this time in 2014.

I could certainly be wrong, but I don't think Trump is running again. I also won't lay awake at night thinking about DeSantis having access to nuclear weapons the same way I did with Trump. I don't like him, I don't agree with him, but I don't think there's any basis to conclude that DeSantis is anywhere near as dangerous as Trump. And again, I agree that he's awful. But, do you honestly think January 6th happens under a DeSantis administration?

I could certainly be wrong, but I don't think Trump is running again. I also won't lay awake at night thinking about DeSantis having access to nuclear weapons the same way I did with Trump. I don't like him, I don't agree with him, but I don't think there's any basis to conclude that DeSantis is anywhere near as dangerous as Trump. And again, I agree that he's awful. But, do you honestly think January 6th happens under a DeSantis administration?

I don't think January 6th happens under DeSantis, but only because he won't need it because by the end of his first term elections will just be for show.

Back