• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

Cincy got no chance when the real rankings come out.

If true that's pretty whack. Somehow going to four teams has made it harder for non-power conference teams to compete for a title than the BCS system, considering that Cincinnati was by all evidence a last-second Texas FG away from making it in 2009, and Boise went in to the final week of 2010 only needing to win @ Nevada and have Auburn lose as an underdog @ the defending champs (neither happened but you get my point).

I don't think it's true though -- definitely a scenario or two where an unbeaten Cincy gets left at home, but if this season has taught us anything it's that these top teams (Georgia aside, so far at least) are vulnerable and will take Ls

Last edited:
Our undying love affair with Army predates Mike Buddie by many years. We've been playing them forever. I assume the DC collects a bonanza of donations from the yuppies on the boat ride up the Hudson. Other than that I really don't get the appeal of this series but if Clawson's good with it then so am I.

Looking for academically respected schools relatively near by, With national presence, suspect.

How bad will all the G5's scream and cry when the rankings come out and Cincy is .....let's say 6th or higher?

Thank you guys for affirming my own observation that these guys have played NOBODY outside of ND. I can see that they are a good team when I watch them EVERY week on TV but it is usually against a so-so team. I guess the media has just fallen in love with them because they never mention all the cupcakes they play just that they win big.

Looking for academically respected schools relatively near by, With national presence, suspect.

If that's the criteria, I'd rather play Penn State or any of the other Big Ten schools within a 10 hour drive of Wake.

We play in the ACC. Dow we not have enough nationally recognized academically respected institutions of higher learning on our schedule already ?

Play more interesting games against teams like Ole Miss.

I'd be fine with playing any other P5 school other than maybe like Rutgers, Maryland, Vandy, or any of the new incoming BXII schools.

If that's the criteria, I'd rather play Penn State or any of the other Big Ten schools within a 10 hour drive of Wake.

Agree. Playing Army just seems like a lazy default choice for an OOC opponent because WF didn't make the effort to look for and find better options. Not saying WF should never play Army, but there is no reason that Army should be WF's most frequent OOC opponent (by far) this decade. The game does nothing to raise WF's profile (e.g., WF is one of six Power V unbeaten teams, and the game is televised on CBS Sports Network, a broadcaster unavailable to many, at 12:30); yet, it presents a risk for a loss or injury that is equal to playing a far more attractive opponent. Also, maybe a game is yet to be scheduled, but in this current 5 game WF/Army series between 2021 through 2026 (no game in 2023), Army is hosting WF three times, while WF hosts twice. Did WF really agree to play Army without an even home and home distribution? If so, that is ridiculous, and the definition of thinking and acting like WF is insignificant.

When the playoff committee meets, will guess Cincy is 4th. Cincy is 2nd in the AP Poll. The committee is well aware that dropping Cincy at all despite not losing will be tough; so, they won't want to drop them more than one spot before the final poll comes in.

WF plays a home and home with Ole Miss in 2024 and 2025. Love that scheduling decision.

WF plays a home and home with Ole Miss in 2024 and 2025. Love that scheduling decision.

I believe we also have home and homes with Purdue and Vanderbilt on the schedule in the coming years. More of that, please.

Something needs to be done about the Liberty games on the schedule in the next few years. We shouldn't be legitimizing that school or its program by paying to play them.

I know we recruit Georgia pretty hard but don't play a game there until 2029 against Georgia State. Next game at Ga Tech is in 2030 by my math. Meanwhile we play two games in the next four years AT shithole universities in Virginia chasing marginal Tidewater and Southside talent. We play five games in the next five years against Virginia non-P5 and FCS teams, plus whatever games we have against UVa and Va Tech.

And we're doing a fucking home-and-home with UConn who should cancel their football program.

Schedule fucking South Carolina or Florida !

Last edited:
I believe we also have home and homes with Purdue and Vanderbilt on the schedule in the coming years. More of that, please.

Something needs to be done about the Liberty games on the schedule in the next few years. We shouldn't be legitimizing that school or its program by paying to play them.

We gain absolutely nothing from playing Vanderbilt except an easier path to bowl eligibility.

We play in the ACC. Dow we not have enough nationally recognized academically respected institutions of higher learning on our schedule already ?

Play more interesting games against teams like Ole Miss.

This is a factor. We had non-con games vs. BC (2003, 2004) and Cuse (2006) soon before they joined the ACC. They'd probably be regular partners if they weren't in the ACC.

I'd MUCH rather play a home-home vs. Georgia State than Army. I'd like to play GT non-con in years we don't have ND or UNC scheduled.

We've got to get rid of these ridiculous divisions. It shouldn't be that long between road games at Coastal opponents.

Last edited:
Let's play Stanford, USC, UCLA, Cal, UW, Michigan, Northwestern, UF, all excellent schools.

Let's play Stanford, USC, UCLA, Cal, UW, Michigan, Northwestern, UF, all excellent schools.

WGAF about how strong or weak an OOC opponent is academically? WF is playing them in football, not science bowl. Not saying WF should seek out playing non-competitive academic schools, but among the factors that should be used to determine scheduling partners, similar academic philosophies are at the very bottom.

Should WF schedule Yale in football? Play games that draw interest to the program. Prime TV slots and bigger crowds.

I don't go to the stadium or turn on the TV to watch guys go to physics lab. I don't give a crap if it's a great school. I want to watch Wake Forest play good football teams and there's no reason we should limit ourselves to teams in the Top 50 academically when putting together out OOC schedule.

BTW, Texas, Georgia, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Purdue, and Maryland are ranked ahead of UW in by USNWR.

We've got to get rid of these ridiculous divisions. It shouldn't be that long between road games at Coastal opponents.

Haven't played Miami since 2013.
We've played Pitt one time (2018), never at Heinz Field
We've played GT once since 2010.

Sometimes it feels like those schools aren't even in the same conference because we're too busy being forced to go to the Carrier Dome 3 years in a row

Haven't played Miami since 2013.
We've played Pitt one time (2018), never at Heinz Field
We've played GT once since 2010.

Sometimes it feels like those schools aren't even in the same conference because we're too busy being forced to go to the Carrier Dome 3 years in a row

100%

Pitt joined the ACC more than 10 years ago, and WF has never played there. Are those two teams even in the same conference?

Leagues don't need to be broken into divisions to play a conference championship game (see the Big 12). Further, the ACC needs to undo the rationale behind the non-sensical division set up as the driving reason was to put Miami and FSU in different divisions because each school was expected to be the most frequent championship participants. Miami has made the game once, and that program is completely adrift. FSU is coaching revolving door. The current division set up does nothing to promote interest in the conference.

Last edited:
Back