• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022-23 Men's Basketball Schedule

What exactly is the conspiracy here? That Duke is afraid of playing in the Joel so ESPN schedules that game for Christmas break annually?
I dont think anyone is alleging a conspiracy, rather just illustrating how crappy the date of WF's home games vs Duke have been recently.

What exactly is the conspiracy here? That Duke is afraid of playing in the Joel so ESPN schedules that game for Christmas break annually?
Not a conspiracy, ESPN wants the show high impact games in late Jan, Feb and early March, the don't want to show a 2nd division Wake playing dook where there is zero national audience for that game. Does ESPN want UVA/dook in Dec? or do they want that game in Feb when both are clearly top rated?

ESPN controls a lot of the schedule, a 'possibly good Wake' is not getting late season games against a pre-season top 10 dook.

If Wake want's to play dook later in the calendar then 'be consistently better and maybe make an NCAAT or two'.

IIRC ESPN told Odom he needed to step up Wake's scheduling during the Duncan years, i.e. UMass and Utah series.

Pretty simple.

Many years ago, it was 'revealed' that ESPN liked to get some of the crappy dook games out of the way (read that as them playing the bottom of the league), so there is your answer. Want to play them in late Jan or Feb, be better (and not random surprise better, top 25 preseason better).
Yeah. Our game at Cameron was a total snooze last year.

Yeah. Our game at Cameron was a total snooze last year.
Ha, ha, one random game in 20+ years. We've had two games in the period that we had a chance to win (not CP3, not Josh Howard). The 10's of non-wake, no-dook people watching should have convinced ESPN to move Wake into a prime slot going forward.

Ha, ha, one random game in 20+ years. We've had two games in the period that we had a chance to win (not CP3, not Josh Howard). The 10's of non-wake, no-dook people watching should have convinced ESPN to move Wake into a prime slot going forward.
DR, is that you?

If this is the 2022-23 WF Men's Hoop Thread, basketball practice starts today.

Captains are Daivien Williamson, Ty Appleby, Andrew Carr and Jao Ituka.

Pumped to see the new guys in action, especially Ituka.

Forbes did say over the Summer that he has never had a player (and Forbes has coached an endless number of basketball players) work as hard as Ituka. That said, for a 1st year transfer to be named a captain is crazy.

I love Ituka. I am, however, backing off my expectations for him a little bit for this season. I think Williamson and Appleby will get all of the minutes they can handle, and Ituka will be the 1st guard off the bench... A change of pace/style while he adjusts to the higher level of play.

So I think before, in my mind, it was like 25-30mpg for Williamson and Appleby with 20-25 for Ituka... Now I think more like 30-35 for Williamson/Appleby and 15-20 for Ituka.

I think, as others have alluded to, that Ituka being named a captain speaks to his work ethic and leadership by example.

I love Ituka. I am, however, backing off my expectations for him a little bit for this season. I think Williamson and Appleby will get all of the minutes they can handle, and Ituka will be the 1st guard off the bench... A change of pace/style while he adjusts to the higher level of play.

So I think before, in my mind, it was like 25-30mpg for Williamson and Appleby with 20-25 for Ituka... Now I think more like 30-35 for Williamson/Appleby and 15-20 for Ituka.

I think, as others have alluded to, that Ituka being named a captain speaks to his work ethic and leadership by example.
The early impression I got yesterday was Daivien and Appleby will be the top scorers/ball-handlers. They were going against each other in 1-on-1s, some friendly back and forth there, they look like they're kind of cut from the same cloth as undersized, underrecruited, but savvy and veteran players who don't need much space to get their shots off.

Ituka is a bulldog. I'd put money on him now leading the team in fouls drawn/per 40.

Forbes told us Monsanto had been playing well lately, but that he just had a bad day. Also my two cents: He looks incredible. He's on the roster at 225 but Forbes told us he's at 205. Looks like a different player physically.

Very promising to hear about Monsanto. If he’s more explosive this season he could really blossom into a special player.

Back