• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

It is okay to admit he is a top 5 talent who does not have the highest baseball IQ. Some of the stuff he does on the base paths when injured is much more infuriating than his defensive lapses.

I will also add that 3 Wild Cards is too many. Philly shouldn’t have even been in the playoffs. We play 162 for a reason. Yes they beat our ass but in a short series even the worst team in the league would beat the best occasionally.

Holy sour grapes, Batman. You lost. Get over it (you and the Mutts fan you're commiserating with).

Conventional wisdom in baseball has been that good pitching beats good hitting. Phillies defied that all season and stood it on its head in the short series. It will be interesting to see if they can continue to out hit teams in the longer NLCS and World Series.
Huh? The Phillies beat the Cards with a 1-2 punch of Wheeler and Nola. Nola dominated the Braves and the Wheeler-Wright matchup was excellent. The Phillies have allowed 16 runs in 6 playoff games so far. If you don't think pitching has played a major role you haven't been paying attention.

To those coming onto the thread to complain about Braves fans commiserating in a Braves-specific thread... wtf? Like, you know that's what being a fan is right?

I mean I think it's a pretty widely held belief that watering down a 162 game regular season with multiple wildcard teams and 3-5 game series' is bad for baseball. Not sure how that's sour grapes. And yes, the Braves would have almost assuredly still lost in a 7 game series.

Well bye, Phillies. Couldn't happen to a nicer town and group of fans. 😂

Offseason starts now!

According to MLB pipeline:

Muller was the Braves number 1 prospect. Muller was drafted in the 4th round in 2016. That draft included Ian Anderson and Bryce Wilson
Tarnok was the Braves number 6 prospect. 3rd round pick in 2017. Braves paid him over-slot $1.45 million
Royber Salinas. International bonus signee.

FWIW, the Brewers sent Esteury Ruiz to the A's. Ruiz stole 85 bases this past year in AA and AAA. Whoa. Ruiz was traded by the Padres to the Brewers in the Josh Hader deal.

This makes little sense. Is Murphy an upgrade over Contreras? Probably a wash on offense but a defensive upgrade, yes. But why did we also give up so much else???

I think we gave up so much because most if those guys had reached a point they are major league ready, but their path was blocked. I do not mind I with position players , but hate giving up that pitching depth.

Does anybody have an seat/section recommendations for Truist park? Family plans on heading down to Atlanta for a few days and wanted to catch a game. the opponent doesn't really matter (think that the yankees, mets, and cubs tickets would be a tough get). Any sections to stay away from? Don't want to break the bank with tickets but don't want nosebleed seats either.

Does anybody have an seat/section recommendations for Truist park? Family plans on heading down to Atlanta for a few days and wanted to catch a game. the opponent doesn't really matter (think that the yankees, mets, and cubs tickets would be a tough get). Any sections to stay away from? Don't want to break the bank with tickets but don't want nosebleed seats either.

I've only seen two games in Truist but I can 100% vouch for the bartop seating outside the Chophouse on the right field wall. It was a great time. Maybe not the best experience for a family depending on kids' ages, but on the other hand, pretty good opportunity for HR balls out there.

This offseason has been confusing and a bit of a bummer so far. I don't have my hopes up of resigning Dansby, either. These long term contracts are starting to really add up, and making adding through FA very challenging. That is what it is, but also trading away a good chunk of the farm system has me a kind of baffled.

Day game or night game? For day games during the summer, I highly recommend being on the 1st base side - the sun is brutal on the 3rd base side and in the outfield. From a value proposition, I think some of the best bang for your buck seats are the 300 level behind home plate - Secs. 324-328. The Chophouse seats are fun, but overpriced (and I’m generally not a huge fan of watching baseball from the outfield).

This offseason has been confusing and a bit of a bummer so far. I don't have my hopes up of resigning Dansby, either. These long term contracts are starting to really add up, and making adding through FA very challenging. That is what it is, but also trading away a good chunk of the farm system has me a kind of baffled.
Dansby is about to secure a bag and it better not be from us unless it’s 5ish years. All these SSs getting 10+ years is not something we should follow for Dansby.

When you have an incredibly young starting lineup locked in for multiple years across the board, trading prospects makes sense. The Sean Murphy trade is a sleeper inmho - sold Contreras high and fixed an achilles heel by getting a great defensive catcher that can also hit. Takes the load off d'Arnaud, he can DH some, we can try to get something for Ozuna, etc.

Still hoping Dansby learns from all those Freeman tears and figures out a way to get a big number but structures it so it's team friendly. Braves are set up to be elite for a bunch of years - he's gonna go to like Minnesota for a couple extra million? Blah. Defer some cash, stay in Hotlanta, win 2 more rings...

Back