• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

Fried was ineffective and lost a bunch of velocity when he was having back spasms earlier in the year. Hopefully the same will be true for Kershaw tonight. Wilson is going to need to hammer the zone with fastballs. He'll probably give up a few big swings, but if he can limit walks & base runners, I think he'll be OK.

Fried was ineffective and lost a bunch of velocity when he was having back spasms earlier in the year. Hopefully the same will be true for Kershaw tonight. Wilson is going to need to hammer the zone with fastballs. He'll probably give up a few big swings, but if he can limit walks & base runners, I think he'll be OK.

I am curious to see how Kershaw looks tonight with the spasms. It would be great for Wilson to put it all together tonight and go 5-6 innings but I am not super confident.

I was listening to an interview with Peter Moylan this morning and he seemed to concede losses today and tomorrow, go down 3-2 and then try to win games 6 and 7 with Fried and Anderson. Said he would not bring Fried back for game 5.

Last edited:
I am curious to see how Kershaw looks tonight with the spasms. It would be great for Wilson to put it all together tonight and go 5-6 innings but I am not super confident.

I was listening to an interview with Peter Moylan this morning and he seemed to concede losses today and tomorrow, go down 3-2 and then try to win games 6 and 7 with Fried and Anderson. Said he would not bring Fried back for game 5.

That's a huge gamble, a terrible take and losers mentality IMO. Need to win tonight or tomorrow period.

That's a huge gamble, a terrible take and losers mentality IMO. Need to win tonight or tomorrow period.

if they win tonight, they definitely hold Fried for game 6,

I would prefer a rested Fried in a elimination game vs pitching him an even series on 3 days rest. If he loses game 5 then you have to choose between Anderson on 3 days rest, possibly Wright, or bullpen arms for an elimination game. I think Braves have a better chance @ winning games 6/7 w/ rested Fried/Anderson than any other scenario.

If we lose tonight, we have to win 2 out of 3. I'd argue that a fully rested Fried and Anderson (Games 6 and 7) along with a bullpen game tomorrow gives better odds to do that than Fried and Anderson both on short rest (Games 5 and 6) and a bullpen/Kyle Wright Game 7. I just fail to see how bringing Fried on short rest for the first time in his career is the right call regardless of whether we are up 3-1 or tied 2-2.

So basically I agree with devi8

Assuming no bullpen game today, if the Braves have a lead after one time through the lineup go to the bullpen. Better to pull Wilson too early than too late.

Assuming no bullpen game today, if the Braves have a lead after one time through the lineup go to the bullpen. Better to pull Wilson too early than too late.

If Wilson gets more than 3 IP/one time through it's because he's pitching well, and I don't have a problem with that if it's the case. He's almost definitely not getting a third time through the order regardless.

if they win tonight, they definitely hold Fried for game 6,

I would prefer a rested Fried in a elimination game vs pitching him an even series on 3 days rest. If he loses game 5 then you have to choose between Anderson on 3 days rest, possibly Wright, or bullpen arms for an elimination game. I think Braves have a better chance @ winning games 6/7 w/ rested Fried/Anderson than any other scenario.

If we lose tonight, we have to win 2 out of 3. I'd argue that a fully rested Fried and Anderson (Games 6 and 7) along with a bullpen game tomorrow gives better odds to do that than Fried and Anderson both on short rest (Games 5 and 6) and a bullpen/Kyle Wright Game 7. I just fail to see how bringing Fried on short rest for the first time in his career is the right call regardless of whether we are up 3-1 or tied 2-2.

So basically I agree with devi8

Don't disagree that we have the best opportunity to win 6/7 with Fried Anderson, but essentially conceding defeat tonight and tomorrow is just lame. They should expect to win 1 game out of the next 2.

Don't disagree that we have the best opportunity to win 6/7 with Fried Anderson, but essentially conceding defeat tonight and tomorrow is just lame. They should expect to win 1 game out of the next 2.

I don't think anyone is conceding defeat in reality, and I would sincerely doubt that's where Snit and the players' heads are at. I didn't hear the Moylan thing, but I would have to assume that all he was saying is that the most likely path to win this series is winning games 6 and 7 with our best pitchers, not that we should just assume that's what we have to do.

I don't think anyone is conceding defeat in reality, and I would sincerely doubt that's where Snit and the players' heads are at. I didn't hear the Moylan thing, but I would have to assume that all he was saying is that the most likely path to win this series is winning games 6 and 7 with our best pitchers, not that we should just assume that's what we have to do.

This is exactly what I think he meant. He said he always expected the series to go 7. He did not say concede, that was my poor word choice (apologies). It was more "best chance/most likely" path to taking the series is to win games 6 and 7 at this point as opposed to bringing Fried back early for game 5.

He isn't coaching the team and I am sure like all Braves fans wants them to win tonight.

Last edited:
The Dodgers are and should be favored tonight (-216), but this is baseball. Anything can happen. The Braves have a deep lineup. Also, Clayton Kershaw has an uneven record in post-season. The Braves aren't conceding anything. Sure, if there is another early inning Dodgers offensive explosion, the Braves will manage the game to be in the best position to win 2 of the last 3, but if the game is competitive early, the Braves bullpen is set up to leverage the advantage they have over the Dodgers bullpen. The key will be for the Braves to stay in it through the first 4. If they do (a big F given Bryse Wilson is starting), think the pressure shifts to the Dodgers, and they haven't handled pressure well in recent post-seasons.

Braves lineup:

1) Ronald Acuña Jr., RF
2) Freddie Freeman, 1B
3) Marcell Ozuna, DH
4) Travis d'Arnaud, C
5) Ozzie Albies, 2B
6) Dansby Swanson, SS
7) Austin Riley, LF
8) Johan Camargo, 3B
9) Cristian Pache, CF

Last edited:
We’re playing to win, baby. No conceding defeat here. Wilson is shoving.

I would've let Wilson go until someone reaches base. First baserunner, go to the pen.

Back