• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

I have a really hard time believing we're willing to wait a year, especially with as itchy as Tepper has been

Y'all must be really excited for Kenny Pickett. Can't wait for him to try that fake slide against some NFL safeties.

Tepper has been itchy for a tier 1 QB.

I listened to a PFF podcast yesterday, and they strongly believe Willis doesn't make it past #10 and that he's the clear #1 QB now due to his arm, athleticism and potential. They think it's possible he could go to Det at 2. FWIW

I listened to a PFF podcast yesterday, and they strongly believe Willis doesn't make it past #10 and that he's the clear #1 QB now due to his arm, athleticism and potential. They think it's possible he could go to Det at 2. FWIW

That’s definitely due to teams being super itchy for a QB. Happens every year. No other year would Willis be even remotely considered a potential top 10 pick. Maybe the Panthers will change their mind and grab him if hes there or even Pickett at 6. I just think that’s crazy to get that desperate for a QB that you take all that risk, when you have plenty of guys that are pretty much sure studs. You have to come away with a starter with your first round picks even if it’s from using them in a trade for a veteran player.

That’s definitely due to teams being super itchy for a QB. Happens every year. No other year would Willis be even remotely considered a potential top 10 pick. Maybe the Panthers will change their mind and grab him if hes there or even Pickett at 6. I just think that’s crazy to get that desperate for a QB that you take all that risk, when you have plenty of guys that are pretty much sure studs. You have to come away with a starter with your first round picks even if it’s from using them in a trade for a veteran player.

I can see taking a risk on Willis this year, especially if you believe you won't have a top 2 pick next year. But I can't see taking Pickett at 6, even if Det does take Willis. Willis has high end arm traits and athleticism if you can rein in his inaccuracy. Pickett's ceiling is Kirk Cousins.

I would imagine Rhule's mindset is you win more games this year with Darnold and a much improved offensive line than you do with Willis and a somewhat improved offensive line. Now, Willis might be the better use of the 6th pick long term in terms of gambling on his upside. But taking a pretty sure 10 year starter at left tackle this year and getting on the QB merry go round again next year (or through the draft) seems smarter. I mean we know we pretty much know what Darnold is now but make no mistake if he was coming out of USC this year he would absolutely be picked way before Willis. Which proves how difficult it is to draft QBs near the top of the draft.

I don’t get the belief that darnold will be better. If you’re gonna say the 3 game start to the season, then look at all of the other games he’s played. He is what he is at this point.

Well I think the thought process is about Darnold never having played behind anything but a terrible offensive line. What I’m told is that what they see in terms of his skills in practice and in actual games (on the rare occasion he has a stretch where he isn’t under constant duress) indicates that he has serious physical skills when he isn’t being constantly swallowed up by the defense.

Well I think the thought process is about Darnold never having played behind anything but a terrible offensive line. What I’m told is that what they see in terms of his skills in practice and in actual games (on the rare occasion he has a stretch where he isn’t under constant duress) indicates that he has serious physical skills when he isn’t being constantly swallowed up by the defense.

I mean he throws some terribad INT's when not under pressure too.

He has. But I think they want to see what Darnold can do with a good and consistent O line and CMC as well as an outlet. I also am under the impression they believe McAdoo is a big upgrade at OC as well as far as putting Darnold in the best plays for him.

Let him think that. Let Rhule bank his whole career on Sam Darnold.

Let him think that. Let Rhule bank his whole career on Sam Darnold.

Fine by me ... Rhule will be out the door before Thanksgiving with McAdoo or Wilks as interim and hopefully an established NFL-pedigree type coach hired soon after. No more BS college coach moves.

Tepper has been itchy for a tier 1 QB.

You really think he's gonna go this offseason without doing something super significant at the position? I can't see that given all that's been tried up to this point, and how hard it will be to get people excited about the team if we just run it back with Darnold next year

You really think he's gonna go this offseason without doing something super significant at the position? I can't see that given all that's been tried up to this point, and how hard it will be to get people excited about the team if we just run it back with Rhule and Darnold next year

Addendum

You really think he's gonna go this offseason without doing something super significant at the position? I can't see that given all that's been tried up to this point, and how hard it will be to get people excited about the team if we just run it back with Darnold next year

Oh I don't know. He very well might.

Just wondering aloud, what at this point could they do that would be super significant?

He has. But I think they want to see what Darnold can do with a good and consistent O line and CMC as well as an outlet. I also am under the impression they believe McAdoo is a big upgrade at OC as well as far as putting Darnold in the best plays for him.

What was the Panthers' record when CMC went down last year?

Back