• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

what's the Tepper/Rhule relationship like, guitar?

I think they get along fine but as I've said before Rhule is on extremely thin ice. Razor thin. Not just in terms of Rhule better have a winning season as coach but also that he better be rock solid outside of wins and losses as well.

Oh I don't know. He very well might.

Just wondering aloud, what at this point could they do that would be super significant?

I mean I think drafting a QB in the first round qualifies. Your first post today implied that all Tepper would do is go get an established obvious stud QB, but I don't think he'll be content to do nothing having failed in that pursuit.

Tepper seems more willing to admit errors with player personnel than his coaches or staff, which isn't that abnormal for an owner to be fair. Hence why people like Hurney or Rhule have had longer leashes than our QBs

Last edited:
So McCaffrey's contract got restructured last night and now the Panthers have a ton of cap space.

Oh I don't know. He very well might.

Just wondering aloud, what at this point could they do that would be super significant?

After restructuring CMC's deal maybe they are thinking of taking a run at prying Baker from Cleveland. If I was a GM though I would not offer any draft capital for Baker. Cleveland is going to eventually cut him if they don't get a trade offer. Wait for that and then go after him for a relatively cheap "prove it" style contract. Maybe the change of scenery helps, maybe it doesn't.

The reports are that the Panthers aren't interested in Baker. I think something may happen after the draft. Baker has no value and not many teams are looking for a QB now.

And I can't see us going after another unproven QB from that draft class after Darnold blew up in our faces

Oh god please don't trade for Mayfield. I think we would have almost $40mm tied up in Darnold and Mayfield and even if you dumped off Darnold on another team we would still be stuck with most of his contract I'm sure.

Baker just seems like slightly better Darnold

No, I think Baker is significantly better than Darnold when healthy. Think about that playoff run last year. The problem with Baker is the baggage and contract. Any team who trades for Baker is borrowing him for 1 year at $19mil, and then he's gonna be asking for a lot more after that - more than a short, slow and average arm QB is worth. I think Seattle will eventually trade for him for like a 7th, with Cleveland eating part of that salary just so Cleveland can keep him out of Pittsburgh.

I don't know why they would pay anything significant for Baker Mayfield when they could have Sam Howell for virtually nothing in like the 4th round. They are pretty much the exact same player.

I don't know why they would pay anything significant for Baker Mayfield when they could have Sam Howell for virtually nothing in like the 4th round. They are pretty much the exact same player.

First, Howell is going to go in the 2nd round and possibly the 1st. Second, Howell can run and is a mobile QB. That's a much different skill set than Mayfield.

Jimmy G is more interesting to me as a possibility given the freeing up of cap space and that I haven't seen reports ruling it out.

Hope we don't do that because I don't think he provides enough uplift

Looking at the draft chart, our best hope for getting Howell in the 2nd would be if the Seahawks trade #40 or #41 to move up from #9 to #6 to leapfrog the Giants and Falcons to get the QB of their choice.

i think howell is a 2nd round guy

I agree. The guy was being discussed as a possible #1 pick before last season. He didn't have his best year, as the offense lost a ton, but he's quite good.

IDK how it would happen, but if we somehow draft Pickett, I won't watch another Panthers game until he's gone.

I'd be OK with Baker in a vacuum, but understand that's a terrible choice considering.

Before last season if you would have asked me if I'd take Howell at the Panthers, I'd have said hell fucking no, but now IDK...maybe.

I still say what I've been saying for what seems like a decade now. Go OL...every pick...every year until we can put something great in front of whatever QB we can throw back there. Trying to pick up scraps or move around cap money to get iffy pieces that have fallen off other teams' trucks is just not beneficial.

Back