• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

Lot to be excited about with Smith. Saw he had a 76% completion rate against him as the primary defender, so he's going to be rough in coverage to start, but can use him more in running situations or even potentially as a situational pass rusher.

Improving LB coverage skills seems like something that is coachable at the NFL level, especially given Smith's speed. Let's hope

Signed returner Andre Roberts. He's 34 but looks like he's had some good seasons of late:

First-team All-Pro (2018)
2× Second-team All-Pro (2020, 2021)
3× Pro Bowl (2018–2020)
2× NFL kickoff return yards leader (2018, 2021)

Lot to be excited about with Smith. Saw he had a 76% completion rate against him as the primary defender, so he's going to be rough in coverage to start, but can use him more in running situations or even potentially as a situational pass rusher.

Sounds like he would have been perfect in Wake's bend don't break, except he's too fast to play linebacker for us.

Smith will be great behind Burns to stuff the run

i think we add a DE --- either Clowney, Flowers, or Melvin Ingram

I doubt Rock Hill is going to pay up to bring Clowney home.

Good summary of Fit's draft strategy. I got the feeling that Rhule was not as involved in this draft as last year.
https://www.catscratchreader.com/20...cott-fitterer-executed-a-solid-draft-strategy

The Panthers second-year general manager should be commended for his draft day strategy this year. I’m not talking about individual picks. I’m talking about the broader team-building strategy that drove the decisions behind why certain players were selected. Based on the players the Panthers selected and when, a pretty safe summary of Fitterer’s draft strategy went something like this:

1. Land a franchise left tackle
  2. Take a low-risk, calculated gamble on a quarterback
  3. On Day 3 take uber-athletic players who can be developed
Let’s see how he did.

Now, let’s press pause for a moment so I can ask a question:
Raise your hand if you came into the draft thinking the Panthers could potentially find their long-term solution at both left tackle and quarterback without sacrificing major future draft capital?
If your hand is up, you’re a lot smarter than I am. Let me know which stocks I should invest in, please.
Coming into the draft it seemed like it was an “either/or” proposition for the Panthers - they could either address left tackle at No. 6 or they could take a massive gamble on Kenny Pickett or Malik Willis at quarterback with that pick. It didn’t seem like they could address both of these critical positions without sacrificing a ton of future draft capital.
And yet, Scott Fitterer landed both Ekwonu and Corral, and the rest of the draft was just gravy after that. Any of the Day 3 picks that followed will probably max out as depth pieces or special teams players, and that’s true for all NFL teams, not just the Panthers. Kudos to Scott Fitterer for somehow addressing both left tackle and quarterback without breaking the bank.

I'm fine that we took Corrall in the third round, but we also took Will Grier in the third. It's not a great bet that Corrall will be a better than average NFL starting quarterback.

I'm fine that we took Corrall in the third round, but we also took Will Grier in the third. It's not a great bet that Corrall will be a better than average NFL starting quarterback.

I agree. I wasn't too keen on them taking him, but it's a reasonable risk.

FWIW, I like Corral. He has decent arm strength, is accurate and has better wheels than Pickett. He's an excellent runner, and my main complaint is that he's too reckless a runner for his size. I think he has a higher ceiling than Pickett, and the 2 QBs that I kinda liked from this class were him and Willis based on their ceilings. I see Pickett's ceiling as more of a poor man's Mayfield with Dave Krieg fumbling issues. The reason he fell to the late 3rd was his prior, not current, off field issues - alcohol and maybe drug issues, a battle with depression and maybe being kicked out of high school due to a fight. Tons of kids have similar issues, and hell, Pat Tillman also had the high school fight issue that almost prevented him from going to ASU, and look how he turned out. Part of the draft process with every player is trying to figure out where kids are in the maturation process. I give him credit for openly talking about these issues.

Corral seems like another dumb dumb to me

Fitterer and Rhule said somewhere that one of the most impressive things they saw with Corral was how much his teammates seemed to love and respect him. That would NOT have been the case with Grier.

Corrall's OC at Ole Miss Jeff Lebby who coached at Baylor under Briles and Grobe, then Rhule were hired.

Back