• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

Tepper is struggling for sure. He needs to somehow stop the bleeding for now with some kind of good positive move that will be fan friendly. Mayfield certainly won't be it. I don't know at this point what he could do to endear himself even a little to the Panthers fanbase.

I saw that the Panthers were one of something like 20 teams that applied to host a draft and that the original plan would've been to hold it in the Rock Hill facility. Exciting !

Tepper is struggling for sure. He needs to somehow stop the bleeding for now with some kind of good positive move that will be fan friendly. Mayfield certainly won't be it. I don't know at this point what he could do to endear himself even a little to the Panthers fanbase.

Put together a winning team would be a start.

He's not going to be able to fix the Panthers unfortunately. Not without a QB.

His best bet with the city of Charlotte right now is buying the MLS cup. Go spend double what any other club is spending and just buy the title. At least that would have half the city on his side. but he's 30/31 in the league in spending so there's no point even pretending that's going to happen.

My advice would be to let the GM do his job and build the team. My impression of Tepper is he walked into the NFL and decided he was going to buy his way to a championship. Only, it doesn't work like that in the NFL and he came out looking foolish. Impatience can result in an even deeper hole. He needs to do less.

Does MLS not have a salary cap? I have no clue about professional soccer.

It does. But it's also the dumbest salary cap in all of sports. You have the Beckham rule, which allows three players on the team to not count toward the salary cap. So essentially you could go out and buy Messi, Ronaldo, and Neymar and they would count the same on the salary cap as me or you. You can then buy MLS transfer money with real money. This allows you to buy players from other MLS clubs. Then you can buy more players under 23 and they can be "young DPs" and not count towards the salary cap. And he can also pay cash for more international roster spots to make the roster more european or south american and less american.

So yes, there is a salary cap. But its all made up Monopoly money salary cap, not like other leagues we know.

My advice would be to let the GM do his job and build the team. My impression of Tepper is he walked into the NFL and decided he was going to buy his way to a championship. Only, it doesn't work like that in the NFL and he came out looking foolish. Impatience can result in an even deeper hole. He needs to do less.

This. Fit seems to have drafted well the last 2 drafts. I don't know who is responsible for the Darnold trade and extension fiasco. But if Fit's picks mostly seem fine, leave the drafting, FA pick-ups and selecting the next coach up to him (although I'm sure Tepper wants to have input on picking the coach). This year is about player development, firing Rhule and giving Corral at least half the season to see what you have in him. If he's not it, there is Young/Stroud, and guys like Mayfield and Jimmy G will be on the move.

If he is suspended for all or most of the season, I see a 3 team trade with Baker exiting Cleveland and the Browns getting Jimmy G. There is no reason for the Browns to rush and do anything until they know Watson's fate. I'm guessing his fate is a floor of 6 games and a ceiling of 17. TV's talking heads continue to talk about how bad this is for the Browns, and it probably means they go nowhere this season. But they'll be SB contenders for the next few after that.

If Watson is suspended due to new allegations, why would he be reinstated after this year?

If Watson is suspended due to new allegations, why would he be reinstated after this year?

I don't see a guy with no criminal charges getting more than a 1 year suspension when guys who have committed crimes have only gotten a few games. But I could be wrong. The strange thing here is the NFL has had a lot of time to do their investigation into the matter, however they don't appear to be anywhere near resolving the matter. So at this point, it's possible he could start this year, and the discipline happens sometime after that. But I think that's a bad look for the league. So if they're going to resolve it before the start of the year, they need to get the matter in front of that retired judge asap.

i think we just need to embrace a tank and draft a QB in the top 5

i think we just need to embrace a tank and draft a QB in the top 5

That's just not happening. There are too many decent pieces on this team, especially if the OL gels and CMC isn't in hospice for half the season.

That's just not happening. There are too many decent pieces on this team, especially if the OL gels and CMC isn't in hospice for half the season.

Exactly. Roll with this roster. If QB is the weak link, so be it. Don't panic and get another cast off. If Darnold can't put it together, see what Corral can do. If Corral obviously doesn't look like the guy then be an attractive destination for a FA QB.

I can't imagine having roughly $39M (or even a little less assuming the Browns eat some BM salary) tied up in Darnold and Mayfield. Two - not one but TWO - QBs you and the whole league is unsure about.

I can't imagine having roughly $39M (or even a little less assuming the Browns eat some BM salary) tied up in Darnold and Mayfield. Two - not one but TWO - QBs you and the whole league is unsure about.

And not in a good way

It's for one year, where we're probably going to suck. So why not take the chance? We get the money back to reload next year. Sam is not the answer.

Luke Kuechly out of retirement!

While I look forward to Luke's broadcasting career, I thought he'd make a perfect coach.

Back