• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

This whole situation is incredibly disrespectful to PJ Walker.

Gave up a third for Corral and a fifth for former #1 Mayfield.

Either Rhule is a QB retread resurrector or he isn’t. So far he hasn’t been but I guess this is his final exam.

I think they are banking much more on McAdoo in that role than Rhule.

It’s still crazy that this franchise has traded a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and a conditional 5th in different drafts for 3 different QBs within about 15 months.

And it’s quite possible that the team will have a new coach in 8 months and be looking to draft a QB.

Those picks don't mean shit compared to a franchise QB. I'm not saying they found him, but those are small prices to pay to keep swinging for one.

I'm not reall a Baker fan and didn't want this trade to happen but on paper that appears to be fantastic value

Those picks don't mean shit compared to a franchise QB. I'm not saying they found him, but those are small prices to pay to keep swinging for one.

I agree. But they swung for Sam Darnold, Matt Corral, and Baker Mayfield. If they had traded a 2022 2nd and 4th, a 2023 3rd, and a conditional 2024 5th in 2021 to move up to get Trevor Lawrence, I would have been all for it.

today's trade was a great trade

the darnold trade was dumb as hell

Baker is that DUDE!

It’s playoffs or bust now.

All these old whites, rube fucks, and app state trash don’t get the SWAG.

I agree. But they swung for Sam Darnold, Matt Corral, and Baker Mayfield. If they had traded a 2022 2nd and 4th, a 2023 3rd, and a conditional 2024 5th in 2021 to move up to get Trevor Lawrence, I would have been all for it.

But obviously the Jags would never do that. They can only work with what they have, and the only way to ensure themselves the #1 pick is to be historically bad. So they are making reasonable attempts given what they have to work with. Darnold didn't work, move on to the next. Corral could be decent but every other team passed on him multiple times, so the jury is out. I don't think anybody should reasonably expect a third round QB to be a franchise QB. It can happen, but is not the norm but worth a shot. Mayfield has the best opportunity of all of them.

This also highlights just how bad the Donk Darnold debacle was.

But he can fuck off, sunk cost, cut him give big dick Corral a swangin chance.

LETS FUCKING GO

If only this were Madden and the Panthers could trade Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold and Matt Corral to the Chargers for Justin Herbert...

Last edited:
today's trade was a great trade

the darnold trade was dumb as hell

Strongly agree with the 2nd sentence. Not sure about the 1st. The best news is he only counts $5mil against the cap because Cleveland is picking up $10.5mil. The bad thing is this is the last year you have him on a cheap contract, and there is now no way Carolina is winning the Young/Stroud sweepstakes. And Baker has an overinflated view as to what he's worth. He'll want $30+mil/per, so I don't know that he's a long term answer at that price, especially when he comes with a bit of an attitude problem. So you could be in the QB market again next offseason. OTOH, maybe he plays pretty well, but no other team is really bidding for his services, so you might just get him on the cheap. But whatever happens down the road, it's definitely better for the quality of the team this season because ain't no way Darnold or a rookie is beating him out as long as he's healthy.

Per Reddit: the Browns will be paying Baker $600k Week 1 to beat the Browns

Strongly agree with the 2nd sentence. Not sure about the 1st. The best news is he only counts $5mil against the cap because Cleveland is picking up $10.5mil. The bad thing is this is the last year you have him on a cheap contract, and there is now no way Carolina is winning the Young/Stroud sweepstakes. And Baker has an overinflated view as to what he's worth. He'll want $30+mil/per, so I don't know that he's a long term answer at that price, especially when he comes with a bit of an attitude problem. So you could be in the QB market again next offseason. OTOH, maybe he plays pretty well, but no other team is really bidding for his services, so you might just get him on the cheap. But whatever happens down the road, it's definitely better for the quality of the team this season because ain't no way Darnold or a rookie is beating him out as long as he's healthy.

Fuck the Young/Stroud sweepstakes. If Mayfield is only as good as he was last year, playing injured, he is still better than any tOSU or Alabama NFL QB since Joe Namath or Kenny Stabler. Putting any faith in either of Young or Stroud to be worth a damn at all in the NFL is a much bigger risk than Mayfield. There are a few guys in the past few years that I would lose on purpose to get, but neither of those two are anywhere close to them.

Fuck the Young/Stroud sweepstakes. If Mayfield is only as good as he was last year, playing injured, he is still better than any tOSU or Alabama NFL QB since Joe Namath or Kenny Stabler. Putting any faith in either of Young or Stroud to be worth a damn at all in the NFL is a much bigger risk than Mayfield. There are a few guys in the past few years that I would lose on purpose to get, but neither of those two are anywhere close to them.

I get Bama and tOSU don't have great QB histories since Namath and Stabler. But it's stupid to say that, because a school doesn't have a great QB history, that means this current QB can't be a good pro. Both Young and Stroud looked great in their 1st seasons starting. If they continue that level of play, they will probably be the top 2 picks, likely going to Atlanta and Seattle (assuming they really do start Geno Smith this year). And yeah, Young is on the small side, but both of those guys were way better in their 1st college seasons than any of this past year's QB class and probably better than Baker long term. Baker is what he is. He's a gritty competitor and overachiever type. He's short, has only average arm strength and isn't particularly athletic, yet he can be a solid pro QB when healthy and protected by a good line and with decent WRs. If the OL play improves, Carolina has the skilled players to make this work with a healthy Baker. I just wouldn't pay him $35-40mil/per on a long term deal.

Back