• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Football “Way Too Early” Rankings

feels like our biggest narratives should be bringing back hartman and the offense (which i've heard a lot about) and massively upgrading at DC (which i haven't read about at all). getting injured guys (greene, nash, monroe, c.davis) nice too, but not sure if that's compelling

Hartman should be challenging for top 3 all time in career passing yards. He should easily pass Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence and Ben Bennett. He'll need a spectacular year to pass Phil Rivers for #1.

3000 yards gets him to #3. 3100 puts him #2.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-25-college-football-rankings

HATERS!

15. Wake Forest
Coming off a historic season that included an ACC Atlantic Division title and tying the most wins in school history (11), Wake Forest should be back in the mix to win the conference in 2022. Quarterback Sam Hartman (39 TDs and 4,228 yards) is among the top signal-callers in the ACC and returns to direct the offense. Jaquarii Roberson is off to the NFL, but Hartman won’t lack for receiving options with A.T. Perry, Taylor Morin, Ke’Shawn Williams and Donavon Greene on the outside. Leading rusher Christian Beal-Smith opted to transfer, but Justice Ellison and Christian Turner are back after combining for more than 1,000 yards in ’21. Wake Forest has ranked eighth or worse in scoring defense in the ACC for each of the last five years, but there’s hope for improvement with former Charlotte head coach Brad Lambert returning as the new defensive coordinator. The Demon Deacons lose a few pieces on this side of the ball, but the bulk of the two-deep is back, including end Rondell Bothroyd (eight sacks in ’21). VMI, Vanderbilt, Liberty and Army should allow Wake Forest to go 4-0 in non-conference play, and Clemson visits Winston-Salem next fall.

I like saying that Turner and Ellison combined for 1000 as a counter to losing CBS. Along with listing WR depth and mention Lambert and talent on D, that’s the best write up I’ve seen so far.

I thought 15 would be our preseason poll peak but that’s the lowest I’ve seen on any way too early lists.

Hard to believe. Never in my life did I think Wake would be in discussions for pre-season top 10 in football.

Depending on how the scheduling unfolds, the Clemson @Wake game could be the largest crowd in Wake Forest sports history. If both are undefeated, it might be one for the ages.

Plenty of motivation for the ACC to put Clemson-Wake early in the schedule to keep the loser in the CFP conversation. Clemson has ND later in the season so that’s a good chance for them to pick up a big win if we pull off the upset.

Plenty of motivation for the ACC to put Clemson-Wake early in the schedule to keep the loser in the CFP conversation. Clemson has ND later in the season so that’s a good chance for them to pick up a big win if we pull off the upset.

This is a great point.

This is my guess. I think we will have Clemson no later than game #5. The ACC would be crazy not to.

Yep. I’ve explained why it’s very possible we play them or FSU on Sept 24. If we don’t get them then, the next week is a good bet. We should find out in 2-3 weeks.

The more of these polls that have Wake in single digits the better. Getting people talking about Wake is good publicity. The more talk about Wake the more likely the real voters will remember Wake when the important votes occur next fall.

I like saying that Turner and Ellison combined for 1000 as a counter to losing CBS. Along with listing WR depth and mention Lambert and talent on D, that’s the best write up I’ve seen so far.

I thought 15 would be our preseason poll peak but that’s the lowest I’ve seen on any way too early lists.
Yeah these top 10 predictions are crazy!

Carolina went 6-7 from this spot. Let’s skip that move

Not that it really matters but 15-20 should be the ceiling for our pre season ranking.
If we beat one of Clemson or Pitt or @UNC I could justify a top 14 pre season ranking

I know it’s linked above, but here is the text of the SI write up as well:

8. Wake Forest

The Demon Deacons return a loaded roster after just the second 11-win season in school history. Quarterback Sam Hartman should start the season as a Heisman candidate leading what could be the nation’s most explosive offense outside of Alabama and Ohio State. If the defense improves, this could be the nontraditional breakthrough team. Clemson, Wake’s annual problem, must come to Winston-Salem in 2022.

From noted Wake stan Stewart Mandel

15. Wake Forest (11-3)
Dave Clawson’s Deacons finished No. 5 nationally in scoring offense (41.0 PPG) and will bring back QB Sam Hartman, five O-line starters, No. 1 WR A.T. Perry and 2020 starter Donavon Greene, who missed the season. Clawson hired Purdue DC Brad Lambert, a former Wake assistant, to fix the nation’s No. 92 defense. Several key super seniors depart, but DL Rondell Bothroyd should be one of the ACC’s top pass-rushers.

Has Clemson 8, State 9, Pitt 11

https://theathletic.com/3061619/202...-top-25-for-the-2022-college-football-season/

interesting to have pitt that high with pickett gone

Can’t wait for the wuffies to crumble under the weight of their own expectations and finish 6-6

Hard to believe. Never in my life did I think Wake would be in discussions for pre-season top 10 in football.

Depending on how the scheduling unfolds, the Clemson @Wake game could be the largest crowd in Wake Forest sports history. If both are undefeated, it might be one for the ages.
I’m pretty sure Street and Smith magazine had us at #6 in their 1971 pre-season rankings. I remember it starting out “riding the crest of last year’s title run...”

Back