• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Football Deacs Season Thread (what a shitty end. fuck duke.)

ESPNU radio just had a caller who called out ESPN’s bias toward the SEC. He pointed out that if Texas A&M beats Miami next weekend, it’ll be the story of their comeback, whereas if Miami wins, it will be the narrative that we know Texas A&M isn’t that good.

He furthered his own point by saying that Texas A&M gets the love as a traditional power that Kentucky should’ve gotten preseason within the SEC. The hosts agreed with the caller, but then said that Kentucky would undoubtedly win the Big Ten West as well as the ACC. Thereby unwittingly demonstrating the very SEC bias they were just accused of.

It’s been fascinating to watch Kentucky’s rise as a program concurrent with ours. They have a similarly hard road to a conference championship that we’ve traditionally had, and we seem to go after the same recruits and be ranked near one another often.

I think that Kentucky and NC State currently have very similar programs, with the difference that Kentucky’s coaching is better IMO.

I find it impossible to hate Kentucky because of Brad White. Truly never a better representative of Wake. Kid was a walk-on at Georgia who was not recruited in HS. Enough on a football film junkie that when Grobe got hired, Brad Lambert put him on scholarship when he followed him to Wake. Between he and Josh Gattis, Wake boasts two of the foremost upcoming minds in college football. Full of Deacon pride over those two.

I find it impossible to hate Kentucky because of Brad White. Truly never a better representative of Wake. Kid was a walk-on at Georgia who was not recruited in HS. Enough on a football film junkie that when Grobe got hired, Brad Lambert put him on scholarship when he followed him to Wake. Between he and Josh Gattis, Wake boasts two of the foremost upcoming minds in college football. Full of Deacon pride over those two.

I’ve seen a lot of prognostications that Brad White would be offered the Kentucky job if Stoops leaves.

Sam may break Riley's total yards passing record on Saturday. Sam is also climbing the ACC career passing TDs leaderboard (from the Go Deacs website):

Hartman, who is one of five returning finalists for the Manning Award last year, finished the game 18-27 passing for an even 300 yards and four passing touchdowns. He found four different receivers for scores, including a 68-yard pass to Perry.
Following his performance on Saturday, the Charlotte native moved within 196 yards of Riley Skinner for most passing yards in school history.

• 1. Riley Skinner (2006-09), 9,762
  • 2. Sam Hartman (2018-present), 9,566
  • 3. Tanner Price (2010-13), 8,899
  • 4. John Wolford (2014-17), 8,794
  • 5. Brian Kuklick (1994-98), 8,017
His 76 passing touchdowns move him level with Russell Wilson for 8th most in ACC history.
  • 1. Tajh Boyd, Clemson (2010-13) – 107
  • 2. Philip Rivers, NC State (2000-03) – 95
  • 3. Sam Howell, North Carolina (2019-21) – 92
  • 4. Deshaun Watson, Clemson (2014-16) – 90
  • Trevor Lawrence, Clemson (2018-20) – 90
  • 6. Kenny Pickett, Pitt (2017-21) – 81
  • 7. Chris Weinke, Florida State (1997-00) – 79
  • 8. Russell Wilson, NC State (2008-10) – 76
  • Sam Hartman, Wake Forest (2018-Present) – 76
Additionally, his 312 total yards against Vanderbilt made him the first player in Wake Forest history with over 10,000 combined yards with 10,304.

32 TDs in 12 or 13 more games is real doable.

Listened to some ESPNU radio on my drive home and just about every show mentioned Hartman coming back and looking good. That was about the extent of any Wake talk BUT I didn’t hear any State talk whatsoever even though Heisman Winner Leary had a good game.

Last edited:
Wait what? Didn't Coby just say he was sore but ready to go?
It was a non contact knee injury. Sometimes you don't know how bad those are until the next day or so.

I just hate it for Davis. He had a really promising start to his career, and has just been destroyed by injuries over the years.

By all accounts, Davis is a great kid who has worked incredibly hard to overcome injuries, and I hate this more for him personally than for its impact on the team.

It looks like Wingfield steps into the starting spot. I know he's capable, but I'm kind of surprised we don't move JJ Roberts or Brendon Harris to that spot. Roberts was my pick to have a breakout year.

Unrelated, but I rewatched the Vandy game and loved what I saw from Mustapha, especially on the early 3rd down stop where he flew into the backfield.

By all accounts, Davis is a great kid who has worked incredibly hard to overcome injuries, and I hate this more for him personally than for its impact on the team.

It looks like Wingfield steps into the starting spot. I know he's capable, but I'm kind of surprised we don't move JJ Roberts or Brendon Harris to that spot. Roberts was my pick to have a breakout year.

Unrelated, but I rewatched the Vandy game and loved what I saw from Mustapha, especially on the early 3rd down stop where he flew into the backfield.
They had JJ Roberts playing nickel last year and it wasn't really working out. He's been playing outside this year and is much better.

Caelen Carson is more likely to be at nickel when Isaiah Wingfield isn't in there and they're facing a team with a good slot (hello, Josh Downs). They'll cross-train safeties like Harris and Nick Andersen (when he comes back) for teams that run TEs out there.

Back