• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Football Deacs Season Thread (what a shitty end. fuck duke.)

With a few key games this weekend, we could move up 1-2 spots during a bye week.

Mich > PSU
Cuse > overrated wtf
Utah > USC longshot
Kentucky > MSU keeps them behind us

And yes, unfortunately, Duke>UNC. Duke will lose some games before playing us, and a UNC loss now, tamps down some of that ridiculous HYPE. Hype, as in you know the voters want to slam UNC ahead of us in the rankings, just give them a reason.

I'm hoping OKSU beating TCU likely is a gainer for WF too.

LK hates CBS and I don't really understand why

I think Turner has made a jump this year -- it's good to see

I think Turner has made a jump this year -- it's good to see
Definitely agree. Not sure if he’s in better shape or just more comfortable in the offense or what. But absolutely a huge boost to have two really reliable and productive running backs.

Need NCSU and UNC to lose two more games. 10-2 Deacs get the Orange Bowl nod over 9-3 NCSU or 9-4 UNC. Would be kind of hilarious if we lost to NCSU and got another 10 win season/OB bid and they didn't. Of course we should just win out and make the playoff instead.

I'm hoping OKSU beating TCU likely is a gainer for WF too.

I think Wake jumps the loser regardless. I think the State-Cuse winner jumps Wake too.

I think the we’ll be the 5th ranked 1-loss team behind the Bama-Tenn and Mich-PSU losers Oregon, and State if they beat Cuse. I think Clemson will beat FSU handily.

1973 season opener. Wake won 9-7 for it's only win that season (also a tie vs. Duke), and FSU went 0-11. Does anyone remember if that was 3 field goals (instead of TD/safety), and if so who the kicker was? I'm thinking it may have been AA punter Chuck Ramsey, but I may be confusing that with Ramsey being initially recruited as a QB, and our starting QB being Bill Armstrong, who eventually switched to LB and became an All-American.
Andy Carlton was the starting QB for Wake. Season stats: 51/141, 605 yards, 2 TDs,10 int.

I think Wake jumps the loser regardless. I think the State-Cuse winner jumps Wake too.

I think the we’ll be the 5th ranked 1-loss team behind the Bama-Tenn and Mich-PSU losers Oregon, and State if they beat Cuse. I think Clemson will beat FSU handily.

Wake won't jump Oklahoma State.

I don't think Cuse jumps Wake when they beat State, which is going to happen. If State somehow wins that game, they will jump us.

undefeated Cuse def jumps us with a win over the mighty CFP-bound State
I get the sarcasm, but if Cuse does move past us in the rankings I would be surprised. Cuse has played an awfully weak schedule to this point. Louisville turned out to be a dumpster fire, as did UVA (who they beat by 2 at home). Beating State without HOF Candidate Leary will be their best win by a mile and again, it's without their quarterback. Our win @FSU is more impressive than beating State at home on Saturday.

I pay closer attention to ACC football than most AP voters, so I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would be stupid.

I also won't really care. We play both teams. The final rankings will take care of themselves.

I get the sarcasm, but if Cuse does move past us in the rankings I would be surprised. Cuse has played an awfully weak schedule to this point. Louisville turned out to be a dumpster fire, as did UVA (who they beat by 2 at home). Beating State without HOF Candidate Leary will be their best win by a mile and again, it's without their quarterback. Our win @FSU is more impressive than beating State at home on Saturday.

I pay closer attention to ACC football than most AP voters, so I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would be stupid.

I also won't really care. We play both teams. The final rankings will take care of themselves.
your points are all valid, but like half of sports journalists are Cuse alums. and I mean we literally had one voter claim he forgot to rank Wake all season before putting us at 12 this week. people will easily see the zero in the loss column and move them up.

your points are all valid, but like half of sports journalists are Cuse alums. and I mean we literally had one voter claim he forgot to rank Wake all season before putting us at 12 this week. people will easily see the zero in the loss column and move them up.
Well they play Clemson and Notre Dame the following two weeks, while we play BC and Louisville, so I'm not particularly worried that Cuse will be ranked higher than us for very long.

Syracuse plays NC State, at Clemson, Notre Dame, at Pitt, FSU, and at Wake in consecutive weeks with no bye week. If they come out of that stretch still ranked, they earned it.

Cuse and JMU are the only undefeated teams behind Wake. 6-0 Cuse would and should be above Wake. That's fine. We'll have a chance to beat them.

The next three weeks are set up weeks. Some dominos will fall this week. Wake can get to 7-1 with convincing wins over BC and Louisville. Then Wake can beat State, UNC, Cuse, and Duke and it's possible 2 or 3 will be ranked. A 11-1 Wake will be ranked top 8 at worst.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's going to be settled on the field, just like the Wake/State debate.

On the subject of Syracuse, I really like their team. Tucker is probably the best RB in the conference, even over Shipley. Shrader has really improved into a solid dual threat QB. The defense is good. I think they beat State and have a great shot against ND.

ETA: it's too bad they have to play in that horrible concrete dome.

Yeah, it's going to be settled on the field, just like the Wake/State debate.

On the subject of Syracuse, I really like their team. Tucker is probably the best RB in the conference, even over Shipley. Shrader has really improved into a solid dual threat QB. The defense is good. I think they beat State and have a great shot against ND.

ETA: it's too bad they have to play in that horrible concrete dome.
what about the Pitt guy who had like 300 yards last week

Tucker is probably the best RB in the conference, even over Shipley.
I'd still take Shipley over Tucker, although Tucker is a monster. Tucker's 232 yards against their FCS opponent are really inflating his numbers this season.

Removing each of their FCS games:
Shipley (5 games): 13.2 carries/game for 75.6 yards, which is 5.73 ypc. 2 receptions/game for 17.6 yards
Tucker (4 games): 21.75 carries/game for 78.5 yards, which is 3.61 ypc. 4.25 receptions/game for 42.3 yards

Tucker certainly gets a lot more volume per game both rushing and receiving, but less yards per carry. Shipley rushed for 4.3 and 5.3 yards per carry against State and Wake (their two most competitive games), while Tucker rushed for 2.3 and 2.9 yards per carry against Purdue and Virginia (their two most competitive games).

With a few key games this weekend, we could move up 1-2 spots during a bye week.

Mich > PSU
Cuse > overrated wtf
Utah > USC longshot
Kentucky > MSU keeps them behind us

And yes, unfortunately, Duke>UNC. Duke will lose some games before playing us, and a UNC loss now, tamps down some of that ridiculous HYPE. Hype, as in you know the voters want to slam UNC ahead of us in the rankings, just give them a reason.
But beating an undefeated UNC would be much better for us long term.

Back