• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Football Deacs Season Thread (what a shitty end. fuck duke.)

Cuse has 12 points against BC and that game is in the 4th. They put up 35 on us last week.

I wouldn’t call any of them drops I don’t think. That INT was a 50/50 ball where Duke had 2 defenders there. The Whiteheart one he didn’t touch it but he did stop running.
The other two weren't easy catches if I remember correctly.

Clawson is an amazing program builder but doesn’t seem to know what to do when he achieves major success
Usually, he's gone by then.

Clawson is an amazing program builder but doesn’t seem to know what to do when he achieves major success, and either has some serious blind spots or more likely real areas of stubbornness that are always going to hold us back I’m afraid.

Is it fair to say he was perfect for where we were post Grobe, but isn’t necessarily perfect for where we now could be (which, granted, is due to his amazing efforts)?
Is it more than coincidence that Richmond won the Natty as soon as he left?

Cuse has 12 points against BC and that game is in the 4th. They put up 35 on us last week.

Kind of like how State scored 20 against BC after scoring 30 against us and how UNC only scored 17 last week after scoring 36 on us.

It’s gotta be hard to keep a team motivated when you went to the championship game last year and you knew in late SEPT it wasn’t going to happen again this year.

‘Let’s go 1-0 this week’ only gets you so far, not nearly as inspiring as ‘good to great’ or ‘the time is now’.

3/7 teams in the Coastal are bowl eligible while 6/7 in the Atlantic are bowl eligible. While our record against the Coastal hasn’t been great, I do really hope we see a slight uptick in wins solely based on shedding divisions.

Last edited:
This is the longest period of success we've ever had. That's undeniable, but we have to play better defense. It's absurd how bad we are in all elements of the defensive game. The offense has to be damn near perfect week in and week out to win. There is no way that teams like Syracuse and BC should be beating us in recruiting. We need better players on defense or find a way to start paying better player on defense.

It’s gotta be hard to keep a team motivated when you went to the championship game last year and you knew in late SEPT it wasn’t going to happen again this year.

‘Let’s go 1-0 this week’ only gets you so far, not nearly as inspiring as ‘good to great’ or ‘the time is now’.

?? We still had a possible Orange Bowl trip in our sights, never mind what crazy things could have still happened to Clemson or anybody. I hope this isn’t an actual excuse for Clawson.

6-1, #10 in the polls. I can't imagine not being motivated.

I'll never understand this. I have posted several times that something changed with this team. I have season tickets and attended every home game. Even our body language looked different after the bye.

Some say it was scheduling but how is that possible when we just played the two best teams in our division and performed incredibly well in both games? We had gone through the gauntlet and came out looking fantastic. Ranked #10 and poised for CFP chatter. Then, we turn the ball over EIGHT times and were never the same.

This is the longest period of success we've ever had. That's undeniable, but we have to play better defense. It's absurd how bad we are in all elements of the defensive game. The offense has to be damn near perfect week in and week out to win. There is no way that teams like Syracuse and BC should be beating us in recruiting. We need better players on defense or find a way to start paying better player on defense.
We know we can recruit good defensive players to Wake. Grobe did for a good part of his tenure. Probably the most talent we’ve had on defense during Clawson’s tenure was the first couple of years with Grobe‘s players. Of course the problem was Grobe left us with putrid talent on offense. I think we need bigger defensive tackles, Kobie Turner was a good pickup, but he‘s 290 and that’s why he was at Richmond. Bergan and Williams arent quite 300lbs and are on the short side. I like our defensive ends, we seem to get decent talent there. We need better linebackers. Smenda has had a good career, but has limitations. I think our first line secondary is pretty decent, but losing Davis and Mustapha really hurt. Losing Nick Anderson hurt for depth. Carson and Holmes are good corners I think, but both have been banged up a lot this year. Really I think OLine and Defensive Tackle are probably the hardest positions for us to recruit talent relative to bigger programs. Guys that are that big, that can really play coming out of high school are not that numerous and get eaten up by the bigger programs. It‘s a crapshoot to take smaller guys out of high school and trying to put the size on them they need to compete at this level. I’ve been following Wake football for 50 years and I never remember a season when our Dline wasn’t considered undersized. We’ve actually had some pretty big Olines on occasion, but usually they were just big, but not that good.

RJ had said in the past that players and potential recruits read these boards. Good. Because this shows them how much disappointment we have and the high standards for excellence that we expect. They can either turnover and be snowflakes, or they can excel to their highest potential. It doesn’t matter what sport, fball, bball, soccer, etc, just bring your A game.

We found many ways to lose games this year. It reminded me of some of the Grobe years. Games you should win but inexplicably lose.

Not too disimilar from the '09 last Skinner season. Get off to a good start, fade down the stretch losing some nail biters that we should/could have won. Also ended 3-5 in the ACC losing 5-of-6 to end. At least we beat Duke and State that season.

Last edited:
last possession was four incomplete passes where the receiver had hands on the ball. Four drops. Sigh.
Shouldn’t have ever even had to come to that if we can get 2 damn yards in 2 plays.
We found many ways to lose games this year. It reminded me of some of the Grobe years. Games you should win but inexplicably lose.

Not too disimilar from the '09 last Skinner season. Get off to a good start, fade down the stretch losing some nail biters that we should/could have won. Also ended 3-5 in the ACC losing 5-of-6 to end. At least we beat Duke and State that season.
Yep this season definitely had 2009 vibes. We lost 5 games by a combined 13 points that year. The way this season unfolded I think it overtakes 2009 in my opinion.

Clawson mentioned in multiple games about starting slow and the problems with that. We trailed by 10+ in each of our last 5 games. In 4 of those we rallied to take the lead after trailing. But only once did we rally and go on to win.

So, on one hand it shows the team fought hard to overcome those deficits. The bigger issue was what was our mental state to get in those positions in the first place. You aren't going to win many games if you trail like that on a regular basis. The end of game decisions deserve criticism, but the decisions and plays that got us in those close finishes are more to blame, in my opinion.

For comparison, the first 7 games we only trailed by 2 possessions once, to Clemson.

Back