• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Football Deacs Season Thread (what a shitty end. fuck duke.)

Clawson is an amazing program builder but doesn’t seem to know what to do when he achieves major success, and either has some serious blind spots or more likely real areas of stubbornness that are always going to hold us back I’m afraid.

Is it fair to say he was perfect for where we were post Grobe, but isn’t necessarily perfect for where we now could be (which, granted, is due to his amazing efforts)?
I don't see how anyone can have this opinion.

Before the COVID season our best record was 8-5 (4-4). If a coach takes Wake to #10 in the rankings 2 years in a row, you don't immediately start saying "maybe he's not the coach for us" when we don't finish in a NY6 bowl.

And this isn't the same as those wanting to hold on to Grobe after 5 losing seasons (4 out of 5 under .500 in the ACC, one 5-3 season).

This is like thinking we should move on from Grobe after not winning 9 games in 2008.

You hold on to a coach like Clawson until he gives you reason not to....you don't have unreasonable expectations and decide to move on every 2 years like the big clubs do.

If he has a string of 7-5 or under seasons, then maybe, but until then, I think its ridiculous to say "Couldn't we do better?"

I don't see how anyone can have this opinion.

Before the COVID season our best record was 8-5 (4-4). If a coach takes Wake to #10 in the rankings 2 years in a row, you don't immediately start saying "maybe he's not the coach for us" when we don't finish in a NY6 bowl.

And this isn't the same as those wanting to hold on to Grobe after 5 losing seasons (4 out of 5 under .500 in the ACC, one 5-3 season).

This is like thinking we should move on from Grobe after not winning 9 games in 2008.

You hold on to a coach like Clawson until he gives you reason not to....you don't have unreasonable expectations and decide to move on every 2 years like the big clubs do.

If he has a string of 7-5 or under seasons, then maybe, but until then, I think its ridiculous to say "Couldn't we do better?"
Just want to point out that last year is the only year that Clawson has ever finished above .500 in the ACC if memory serves. I do agree with you though. People are just mad in the moment. No one can honestly think we should move on from Clawson right now.

That’s correct. One year above .500 in ACC play. Grobe had 3 of those and Dooley had 2. Clawson played Duke and Cuse every year.

I don’t want to move on from Clawson but that does seem like a noteworthy stat.

That’s correct. One year above .500 in ACC play. Grobe had 3 of those and Dooley had 2. Clawson played Duke and Cuse every year.

I don’t want to move on from Clawson but that does seem like a noteworthy stat.

Every time Clawson finishes above .500 in ACC play, we play in the ACCCG though.

3 wins this year against teams that had a winning season + 4 wins against teams that had a losing season.

All 5 losses were against teams that had a winning season.

I agree with most others that the defense is clearly our main issue. Our offense and special teams have some flaws, but the defense is our major problem. I thought our run defense was a bit better than previous years, but our pass defense and ability to control QB scrambles were awful. We handled the QB running issue OK early in the year with Mustapha spying the QB, but once he went down we tried to do it with Smenda and he just isn't fast enough to cover that much space.

Remember back in the Wolford/Hinton/Newman days when Clawson would frequently comment that we're going to need multiple QBs to get through the year? He stopped saying that and stopped running Sam. As others have pointed out, this removed a dimension from our offense that we really need, especially in short yardage situations.

Remember when our offense used to play too fast? It hurt our defense, because we would have lots of quick 3 and outs. We clearly changed that last year, and tried to slow down some, which was overall a good move. However, I think there are times where we still need to be unconventionally aggressive on offense, like when we had the lead yesterday (or the UNC game last year and the year before), and we're being too conservative in those situations. Our offense is clearly better than our defense, so we need to let the offense win the game for us.

A few people have commented that the slow mesh has been "figured out." I disagree - I think our offense is at their best when running the slow mesh. We bog down in clear run or clear pass situations. We play our best offensively in the middle of the game when running the slow mesh, because it keeps the defense guessing so much.

Just one more comment - I didn't know Brasky in real life, just on the boards. But he was always good for a spirited rant on the football team when we struggled. I miss that, and I know his friends and family miss him dearly. He would have given some good insight into our struggles this year, and he would have done so with gusto. RIP Brasky.

Last edited:
I’m not saying we get rid of Clawson. I’m saying we seem to have reached the point in our program’s development - ironically, thanks to him - where his skillset isn’t as well suited. We now require maintaining excellence at the #10 spot in the nation, not building up a broken program, his greatest area of expertise.

I’d like him to find a very experienced coach or two who know how to help him get us to, and keep us at, that next level, because we’re really close to being there - but also really close to losing some incredibly hard fought momentum.

I honestly hope we hire some head coaches who have been fired even if they are stop-gaps for a year or two until they get a HC position again. Jeff Scott would be my first call. Clemson OC for a long time but sucked as USF HC. I also reach out to Gattis. Hell, he could probably help with the secondary. We need fresh perspectives. The more of those, the better.

Last edited:
Here is a list of 4th quarter scoring drives in the last four games of the season. All close games:
TD 6:54 left vs. State to get down 21-27
TD 13:14 left vs. Cuse to take a 38-21 lead
TD 12:31 left vs. Duke to take a 31-27 lead

Not a single clutch drive to hold or get a lead late in the game.

The defense only gave up a FG each in the 4th against State and UNC. So our offense actually outscored them in the 4th in those two games. The defense gave up 2 4th Q TDs against Cuse and 1 against Duke.

So in the three close games against our rivals, the defense only gave up 13 points, but the offense could only score 14.

Last edited:
Here is a list of 4th quarter scoring drives in the last four games of the season. All close games
TD 6:54 left vs. State
TD 13:14 left vs. Cuse
TD 12:31 left vs. Duke

Not a single clutch drive to hold or get a lead late in the game.

The defense only gave up a FG each in the 4th against State and UNC. So our offense actually outscored them in the 4th in those two games. The defense gave up 2 4th Q TDs against Cuse and 1 against Duke.

So in the three close games against our rivals, the defense only gave up 13 points, but the offense could only score 14.

Interesting

I feel like next the bowl streak comes to an end. That's a tough schedule for Wake in a "rebuilding" year.

I’m not saying we get rid of Clawson. I’m saying we seem to have reached the point in our program’s development - ironically, thanks to him - where his skillset isn’t as well suited. We now require maintaining excellence at the #10 spot in the nation, not building up a broken program, his greatest area of expertise.

I’d like him to find a very experienced coach or two who know how to help him get us to, and keep us at, that next level, because we’re really close to being there - but also really close to losing some incredibly hard fought momentum.
I think that step comes with recruiting and no coach is going to be really successful doing that here at Wake.

I honestly hope we hire some head coaches who have been fired even if they are stop-gaps for a year or two until they get a HC position again. Jeff Scott would be my first call. Clemson OC for a long time but sucked as USF HC. I also reach out to Gattis. Hell, he could probably help with the secondary. We need fresh perspectives. The more of those, the better.

I don't disagree but I also think we have significant talent issues to be a legitimate top 10 program. Our defense closing speed is just comical. I'm not sure Ditka and Parcells as coordinators could fix those problems.
We need better players and I'm not sure how that happens unless Clawson has some very frank conversations with Currie and Dr. Wente.

It's not like Clawson and his staff are getting their top priorities every class and they just aren't getting it done. Winning the recruiting battles they're already having could improve the roster without dramatically changing admissions requirements.

Back