• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Football Deacs Season Thread (what a shitty end. fuck duke.)

Why does this thread not give substantial credit to Duke?

Duke football decided 3 years ago to copy the Wake Forest's system. Even hiring our current and former Coaches. What a smart decision. Wake Forest football has been so good for so long and with Duke matching our size, copying off of your opponents playbook was really smart. Takes a lack of ego to do that.

We should do the same with Duke's basketball program. I hear they are pretty good.
Expecting fans on a message board to praise our most hated (arguably) rival, who we've dominated in recent years, following a game we undoubtedly pissed away and should have won, with <8000 fans in attendance, is a really weird take. Solid troll though.

Duke football decided 3 years ago to copy the Wake Forest's system. Even hiring our current and former Coaches. What a smart decision. Wake Forest football has been so good for so long and with Duke matching our size, copying off of your opponents playbook was really smart. Takes a lack of ego to do that.

We should do the same with Duke's basketball program. I hear they are pretty good.

What are you talking about ? Duke was so bad the past three years that they fired their coach who was basically stealing money from them.

ban

duck fook

Before I begin, I am not advocating getting rid of Clawson, but what is his best win? Where is his top 10 upset? Its been 9 season, and he doesn't have a signature win. He gets conservative in big games, he plays it safe. Last year the ball bounced our way on a couple of those games, this year it didn't. If we want to take that next step as a program then he is going to need to change his approach to some things. The disappointment comes from the expectation that this year was a to be a step forward, a 5th year QB, a couple draft prospects at WR, and a new D-Coordinator. Instead we fell back to earth.

So what happened this year? Was it Sam going down from 364 yards and 11 TDs to 89 yards and 1 TD rushing? We averaged 30 yards less rushing per game this season than last Did it have to do with losing NFL caliber players on D? Last year we gave up 217 in the air and 195 on the ground, this year 273 and 137. Was it our offensive line got worse and couldn't give the QB time for the slow mesh to develop (Sam was sacked 32x this year and 34x last year? We were less penalized this year than last. Look at the numbers, there wasn't a ton of regression. So I think it really came down to coaching errors this season.

2021Passing
Rushing
Total Offense
First Downs
Penalties
Turnovers
SplitGCmpAttPctYdsTDAttYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgPassRushPenTotNo.YdsFumIntTot
Offense
14​
21.6​
37.1​
58.2​
307.4​
2.8​
40.4​
160.6​
4​
2.2​
77.4​
467.9​
6​
13.8​
8.3​
3.2​
25.3​
5.8​
52.7​
0.4​
1.1​
1.4​
Defense
14​
17.8​
30.4​
58.6​
217.8​
1.7​
40.2​
195.8​
4.9​
1.8​
70.6​
413.6​
5.9​
9.8​
10.6​
2​
22.4​
7.6​
67​
1​
1.1​
2.1​
Difference
6.7​
-0.4​
89.6​
1.1​
0.2​
-35.2​
-0.9​
0.4​
6.8​
54.3​
0.1​
4​
-2.3​
1.2​
2.9​
-1.8​
-14.3​
-0.6​
0​
-0.7​
2022Passing
Rushing
Total Offense
First Downs
Penalties
Turnovers
SplitGCmpAttPctYdsTDAttYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgPassRushPenTotNo.YdsFumIntTot
Offense
12​
23.3​
36.4​
63.8​
314.6​
3.3​
39.2​
132.5​
3.4​
1.3​
75.6​
447.1​
5.9​
15​
8.4​
2.3​
25.7​
4.7​
38.8​
0.5​
1​
1.5​
Defense
12​
20.9​
34.8​
60​
273​
2.3​
35.9​
137.6​
3.8​
1.1​
70.8​
410.6​
5.8​
11.3​
8.2​
1.1​
20.5​
7.1​
62.4​
0.7​
0.6​
1.3​
Difference
2.4​
1.6​
3.8​
41.6​
1​
3.3​
-5.1​
-0.4​
0.2​
4.8​
36.5​
0.1​
3.7​
0.2​
1.2​
5.2​
-2.4​
-23.6​
-0.2​
0.4​
0.2​

Duke decided to copy Wake's system 15 years ago.

1. We failed to generate turnovers on defense.
2. Our secondary was depleted - I thought our pass defense was improved early in the year.
3. Not enough d-line pressure on the qb. I think we're trying to address this through recruiting but those guys may be a couple years away. Next year may be rough here unless we bring in some impact transfers. Opposing qbs had all day to throw which compounded issues in the secondary.
4. General lack of athleticsm/bad angles. At some point, players have to make plays. I watched a play in the Duke game where Kobie Turner was double teamed and just missed the tackle (not his fault). Nobody else was near so it turned into a big gain. Is that scheme or guys just being out of place?
5. Offensive numbers are fine overall but we struggled in some clutch situations with bad reads and dropped balls.
6. Zach Tom was irreplaceable.

Our offensive scheme can be frustrating to watch at times but is generally effective unless we're completely getting blown up on the o-line. We need speed on defense and that's probably where most NIL funds should be directed.

Suddenly we've gone from too many QBs in the QB room to not enough. Things there will get really thin if Kern also decides to go and chase a starting job.

Wow. Would have been very far down my list of expected transfers. Probably near the bottom. Hopefully not a sign of things to come.

Wow. Would have been very far down my list of expected transfers. Probably near the bottom. Hopefully not a sign of things to come.
I don't know, would you want to play behind your big brother the next couple of years?

Really? Because of his brother? I would think that QB3 is likely the first option to hit the portal.

With a potential open competition to be the starter next year, and an offense that allows guys to put up big numbers, we could be an attractive landing spot for a transfer QB. I know it wasn't high on our list of wants, but QB may be a focus now. 4th string true freshmen QB transferring doesn't sound like he is looking to be a starter somewhere, just maybe the wrong fit, interesting considering his brother is here. Also Brett was injured his JR year, and committed to Wake pretty early, so he didn't have a normal recruiting process.

Back