• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

It’s interesting to see the strategies teams are using to get out of the ACC. fsu and clemson with different legal approaches and uva trying to abort themselves.

That performance from UVA will just throw gasoline on the fire for the "ACC sucks" narrative. And yet it's almost like you have multiple sources of rankings and measures based on reasonable metrics that all clearly agreed UVA was a fraud and a beneficiary of a lopsided ACC schedule where they only played the other 3 at-large ACC bid teams once each. Hell they didn't beat UNC or Duke and only beat Clemson because Clark hit back iron on the game-winning 3. Just recognizing how much water that one missed shot carried for UVA's season is insane. How pissed is Pitt right now watching that trash...
Bennett says he is going to look at their "system" this off-season.

And it's just NUTS that UVA has lost it's first game in the NCAAT, 4 of the past 5 years, but that other year - they won the title. That seems like a minor miracle to me.

They almost broke their OWN record, for an NCAAT game low, which they set in 2017 at 39 points. Again, why is a good player signing up to play there?

Last edited:
A nightmare evening in (boo-hoo) Hoo-Land. The real kicker is, now Clemson has to carry the ACC torch, cuz I sure as hell won't support UNC or Duke in doing anything other than getting back on the bus.

Think Virginia system is fine, they need better talent. System looked fine when Brogdon, Guy, Hunter, Jerome, etc where there.

Where would Bennett have taken Wake’s roster?

Think Virginia system is fine, they need better talent. System looked fine when Brogdon, Guy, Hunter, Jerome, etc where there.

Where would Bennett have taken Wake’s roster?
No idea but Forbes took a team projected around the 80-90th best team in the country preseason to a top 30-35 team. Bennett took a team projected around 30-35th to start the season to about 70th (and somehow got the timely wins necessary to still make the tournament).

So I'll say Bennett would've taken the Wake roster to the NIT

A nightmare evening in (boo-hoo) Hoo-Land. The real kicker is, now Clemson has to carry the ACC torch, cuz I sure as hell won't support UNC or Duke in doing anything other than getting back on the bus.
Clemson, the institution that just told the ACC to get screwed?

Am a Tony Bennett fan, but he deserves every bit of criticism over this season, and UVA's collapse.

On February 10th, UVA had just won its 8th straight ACC game. They were 19-5 (10-3) and a game out of first place in the ACC. UVA had just scored 80 against FSU. They also had OOC wins over Texas A&M and Florida (on a neutral court).

With no significant injuries or apparent off-the-court issues (would not be shocked to subsequently learn that there are problems with team chemistry), UVA hit the wall, and Bennett could not find a solution. Not only did UVA finish the year 4-6 against a soft schedule (their 4 wins? BC twice, GT and the ugly win over WF), the Hoos just could not score. UVA had a streak of three games of scoring 49, 41 and 44 points... with a 30 second shot clock.

UVA needed OT to beat BC in the ACCT. Last night, UVA bottomed-out. 14 points at half. No points for a 12+ minute stretch. Think about that. 12 minutes is a quarter in the NBA. Against a Colorado State team that just gave up 78 to Nevada and 74 to New Mexico, UVA couldn't score a point for more than 1/3 of the game. Awful and embarrassing. Got to hang this on Tony Bennett, this UVA team isn't super-talented, but through the first 24 games of the season, they were not this bad on offense. UVA got worse, and the coach failed to find a solution.

It's sad when there's a strong argument that the MWC is a better hoops conference than the ACC. What hell is wrong with our league?
It's not. UVA shouldn't have been anywhere near the bubble. They're absolute garbage. We played our worst game of the season and lost by 1 on their home court.

It's almost like the committee put them in to say "See, the MWC is better", knowing good and well that if Pitt or Wake were in that position we would either win or lose a very close game.

Virginia is a joke. Finally people are seeing their shit Princeton style offense in the ACC is a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bennett says he is going to look at their "system" this off-season.

And it's just NUTS that UVA has lost it's first game in the NCAAT, 4 of the past 5 years, but that other year - they won the title. That seems like a minor miracle to me.

They almost broke their OWN record, for an NCAAT game low, which they set in 2017 at 39 points. Again, why is a good player signing up to play there?
I don't think it's nuts. You really can't compare UVA pre and post natty. That year before, they shouldn't have been a 1 seed without Deandre Hunter, and they weren't going far that year without him. Since the natty, they have not had overly talented teams. Tony reminds me of GDub after UMd@Alaska won their natty and proceeded to rest on his laurels. Pre natty, Tony was recruiting well and getting some stud transfers before we referred to it as the portal. Tony has not recruited particularly well since then, and most of his transfers have been duds.

And this year was his worst coaching job. I again harp on not playing a top 100 freshman with talent in Gertrude, who played solid D and looked decent when he did play. Instead, Tony started Rohde who was a complete nothing on either end of the floor. And he played Harris, who is a good defender but was a worst shooter than Keith 'enifer. Tony has failed to develop Dunn as an offensive player. I get Dunn is hesitant to shoot from outside, but get him to drive more and back guys down in the post. That's a crime when the rest of this team is offensively challenged, and he's only taking 5-7 shots a game - mostly put backs and dunks. Tony started the year terribly defensively because he was starting Groves at the 5 when Groves is the softest 6'9" dude I've ever seen. They didn't improve until he started Minor. Their best line-up was Beekman, McKneely, Dunn, Groves and Minor, but that was rarely his starting line-up. Now, he can coach here forever because UVA will tolerate mediocrity after the natty.

Bishop, UVA doesn't play the Princeton offense. Against man, they mostly play the same blocker/mover offense he's always used. And occasionally they'd play a triangle 3 man game type of offense.

Am a Tony Bennett fan, but he deserves every bit of criticism over this season, and UVA's collapse.

On February 10th, UVA had just won its 8th straight ACC game. They were 19-5 (10-3) and a game out of first place in the ACC. UVA had just scored 80 against FSU. They also had OOC wins over Texas A&M and Florida (on a neutral court).

With no significant injuries or apparent off-the-court issues (would not be shocked to subsequently learn that there are problems with team chemistry), UVA hit the wall, and Bennett could not find a solution. Not only did UVA finish the year 4-6 against a soft schedule (their 4 wins? BC twice, GT and the ugly win over WF), the Hoos just could not score. UVA had a streak of three games of scoring 49, 41 and 44 points... with a 30 second shot clock.

UVA needed OT to beat BC in the ACCT. Last night, UVA bottomed-out. 14 points at half. No points for a 12+ minute stretch. Think about that. 12 minutes is a quarter in the NBA. Against a Colorado State team that just gave up 78 to Nevada and 74 to New Mexico, UVA couldn't score a point for more than 1/3 of the game. Awful and embarrassing. Got to hang this on Tony Bennett, this UVA team isn't super-talented, but through the first 24 games of the season, they were not this bad on offense. UVA got worse, and the coach failed to find a solution.
The offensive scheme just doesn't make sense. Also it doesn't necessarily require a big fix to shift things up. They take an inordinate number of contested mid-range jumpers off of screens after running generic offense for 25 seconds - largely, to me, in the interest of slowing the game down on both ends. But the thing is, they don't need to slow it down on offense. They can run any kind of offensive set they want and still be in a low possession game because the packline forces extended possessions on the other end of the floor. In other words, no reason to double down on the slow tempo and they love to do it.

Wake fans seem to be getting a lot of laughs about a well-respected coach deciding to rethink his system after a “down” year.

The offensive scheme just doesn't make sense. Also it doesn't necessarily require a big fix to shift things up. They take an inordinate number of contested mid-range jumpers off of screens after running generic offense for 25 seconds - largely, to me, in the interest of slowing the game down on both ends. But the thing is, they don't need to slow it down on offense. They can run any kind of offensive set they want and still be in a low possession game because the packline forces extended possessions on the other end of the floor. In other words, no reason to double down on the slow tempo and they love to do it.
Tony Bennett has said that he prefers his guys to pass up open shots if they are too early in the shot clock. That's just mindboggling to me...and miserable basketball

This may not be a new take (I missed about 30 pages of this thread once I decided to stop caring about the ACC Tourney), but I really really hope that UNC gets to play Arizona in the Elite 8 so that Caleb Love can score 40 against the Heels and end their season.

Back