• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

Pitt’s Carrington out - declaring for the draft not retaining eligibility. Projected in the first round.
Understand the move for Carrington. Not close to NBA ready, but the 2024 draft lacks talent; if he returns to Pitt and regresses at all; Carrington draft stock plummets.

That said, really sucks for Pitt, and just underscores how tough it is to build roster continuity these days. While most teams build a roster through the portal, Capel (to his credit zagged) recruited HS players and relied early on two freshman guards. Lowe (#89) and Carrington (#91) were solid recruits, but there was no reason to think that either would be NBA prospects any time soon. Pitt took their lumps early, but the Panthers really built momentum during the season as the freshman developed, and according to Torvik, Pitt was a top 15 team from February 1 on.

Assuming Pitt could retain those two, there were reasons for Pitt to really look forward to the 2024-5 season. Instead, Carrington leaps up the draft boards (note: past a bunch of other ACC recruits) and now he's gone to the NBA. Gut punch.

A bunch of random portal thoughts that I didn't know where else to put them:

806 players into the portal as of today per On3. 56 of which have committed somewhere (we've got 1!). I'd expect activity to meaningfully pick up over the next couple of weeks.

PG looks like the shallowest position for top available talent. Only 3 of the top 10 to date remain uncommitted. Boopie checking in around 20 in consensus rankings at the position, but still within the top 100 overall. There are likely a bunch of good but not great options available beyond the top 100 and I'd guess that's where we pick someone up.

Oumar Ballo to the portal today. I'm confident we aren't in on him - but it will be interesting to see who throws the biggest bag at him.

Kentucky's Aaron Bradshaw (7'1, #4 player in last year's class) also into the portal today as well. Arkansas?

FAU with 3 big targets (Davis, Goldin, Martin) that will all consider following May to Michigan (or go to Louisville?)-- Michigan also the likely destination for Yale's big man Wolf. They'll be rebuilt quickly.

Jalen DeLoach also back into the portal. (Weren't we in on him last year?)

Two of Stanford's departures (Raynaud and Kanaan Carlyle) are consensus top 5 portal guys at this point. Little Stojakovic was a third top 50 guy. Sort of shocking they weren't better as a team.

Could see Carlyle coming in a taking the Monsanto role (though he doesn't shoot as high a % - does get to the mid lane a little more) - looks a lot like his game is similar to Sallis'. If Sallis leaves, could fill the hole nicely if he doesn't need to be as ball dominant as he was at Stanford. Having more TOs than Assists does scare me a little.

Back