• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

Down goes #7 duke @ home to now 2-5 ACC pitt!

Back in the day, this would be a sign of a great, competitive, deep conference. GO FIGURE.... and it seems to still be the case w/ sec and big20 football, so why not ACC hoops?!

Now? Not so much unfortunately w/ all the nebulous quad and NET BS that Forbes dislikes so much.

What we had in the past was soooo much better! (And usually 8-9 ACC NCAAT bids as a result which is how it should be given the ACC's deep NCAAT runs vs the big20 yearly flame outs).
This has nothing to do with the quad system and everything to do with the conference shitting the bed in the OOC schedule. If the ACC was out there kicking ass and taking names in the pre-conference games like they used to, we would still be getting 8-9 bids.

duke's conf sch so far pitt x2 gt x2 nd cuse. 4-2

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

This has nothing to do with the quad system and everything to do with the conference shitting the bed in the OOC schedule. If the ACC was out there kicking ass and taking names in the pre-conference games like they used to, we would still be getting 8-9 bids.
I’ll bite. This allows zero room for growth. A lot of the teams in major conferences have an entirely new team every year bc of the portal. It’s natural that they’re going to get better as the season goes along and they gel. These teams end up losing to shitty but well formed and sometimes coached teams before they have their act together. Then they get to ACC season and they’ve figured it out. It’s bullshit.

ETA: DBR is imploding.

In stupid NET news, Duke’s loss to Pitt yesterday gave them a Q1 road win as Pitt moved up. So stupid.

People here would crap their pants if the ACC slaughtered the B1G in non-conference play and then the committee gave the B1G more bids with the rationale of, "Based on the eye test, we really thought those B1G teams got to conference play and figured it out and improved a lot more than the ACC teams did."

People here would crap their pants if the ACC slaughtered the B1G in non-conference play and then the committee gave the B1G more bids with the rationale of, "Based on the eye test, we really thought those B1G teams got to conference play and figured it out and improved a lot more than the ACC teams did."
I’m curious what the head-to-head records were. I’m sure they weren’t terrible. For instance, the SEC/ACC challenge was 7-7 and there’s a chance the SEC gets 9 bids and the ACC gets 2.

I’ve stopped looking at it myself, but it’s hard to even read about college basketball without being given the NET implications.
I think there are reasons for this. It is the massive driver determining at-large bids for the NCAA Tournament. Used to be a bunch of guys did that after the season. NET is updated in near real time. So all the data from games across the country is rapidly compiled and the impacts on all teams are known quickly.

It's no longer about a particular team's resume. It's how where that resume stands with the resumes of 360+ other teams.

Down goes #7 duke @ home to now 2-5 ACC pitt!

Back in the day, this would be a sign of a great, competitive, deep conference. GO FIGURE.... and it seems to still be the case w/ sec and big20 football, so why not ACC hoops?!

Now? Not so much unfortunately w/ all the nebulous quad and NET BS that Forbes dislikes so much.

What we had in the past was soooo much better! (And usually 8-9 ACC NCAAT bids as a result which is how it should be given the ACC's deep NCAAT runs vs the big20 yearly flame outs).
duke actually picks up a Q1 win from their game at Pitt a week ago since they lost to Pitt last night. NET sure is swell!!

duke actually picks up a Q1 win from their game at Pitt a week ago since they lost to Pitt last night. NET sure is swell!!
So a Q2 loss at home and Q1 road win against the same team. Gotta love it.

Back