• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

Dayton sucks and while it gets a monetary share of the tournament, it should not be viewed the same as being in the proper field of 64 from one perspective that matters: assessing Forbes’ future.

He should get another year regardless (even if we lose both games this week and in ACCT). He should get more than that if he makes the actual field of 64, even if he loses that first game. A loss in Dayton alone shouldn’t change the analysis.

(Also, I’d gladly accept Dayton right now given what I saw last week. Hopefully we do better, Forbes turns a corner, we win the ACCT, Forbes coaches at Wake for another decade-plus, and we all live happily ever after. That is the Wake Forest Way, right?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake wins the next two, loses a close game in the ACCT and is the epitome of a bubble team on selection sunday.

Objectively I think we are better off being a play in 11 seed than an 8 seed. It would put us in a really good spot against a 6 seed, then who knows the matchup after the brackets are busted. This can't be said for a 8/9 or really a 10 seed. We would being walking into a top tier buzz saw if we won a tough opening round game. Best case scenario is we make lose in the ACC championship game and are an outright 11 seed.

The problem we all have with it is that deep down in our cold misrable hearts, we all know this team loses in Dayton. We haven't beaten a competitive team this season out of the Joel.

We are cusred, doomed to be misreable fucks, wasting our days arguing over arbitrary meanigless points on a sports message board.
I detect no lies

lunardi still shows us as last team in. not awful considering how bad last week was.

That just means any bid stealer jumps us. We need to destroy GT and Clemson to hopefully jump up a couple spots. I also do think we need at least 1 win in the ACCT the more I'm looking at the bubble.

Yeah - we're going to basically be squarely on the bubble until Selection Sunday assuming we do what's expected. I still think we make it if we win both games this week, and then the 5/12 game next Wednesday (assuming Pitt wins both games this week at home or Cuse doesn't beat Clemson tonight). Winning a game in the QF would be nice if we made it, but I don't think we HAVE to have it as long as it's not a loss to a bad team.

The biggest thing that winning two more games at home does is just keeps us where we are, and allows other teams to mess up and fall behind us. Seton Hall and St Johns have to win their games against DePaul and Georgetown or they will fall behind us. New Mexico can't slip up at home this week either.

As far as conference tournaments go, we are huge Gonzaga/Saint Mary's fans, big FAU fans (I don't think USF gets in if they don't win the tournament), and one of the dumb MWC teams already in needs to win that league.

We need a tame conference tournament weekend.

Arizona/Wazzou needs to win the PAC-12.
Dayton the A10.
Would be nice not to test if Indiana St gets in (so go Sycamores).

Yeah - we're going to basically be squarely on the bubble until Selection Sunday assuming we do what's expected. I still think we make it if we win both games this week, and then the 5/12 game next Wednesday (assuming Pitt wins both games this week at home or Cuse doesn't beat Clemson tonight). Winning a game in the QF would be nice if we made it, but I don't think we HAVE to have it as long as it's not a loss to a bad team.

The biggest thing that winning two more games at home does is just keeps us where we are, and allows other teams to mess up and fall behind us. Seton Hall and St Johns have to win their games against DePaul and Georgetown or they will fall behind us. New Mexico can't slip up at home this week either.

As far as conference tournaments go, we are huge Gonzaga/Saint Mary's fans, big FAU fans (I don't think USF gets in if they don't win the tournament), and one of the dumb MWC teams already in needs to win that league.

We need a tame conference tournament weekend.
I'm sure it will all work out for us. These things always go our way.

Article in The Athletic today says a potential expansion to 96 teams is pretty much dead, but a move to 72 or 76 is more likely.

Obviously not for this year.

I guess the move to 96 was going to be a pain in the ass to schedule with these huge conference tourneys and then there was also the issue of splitting up the money.

4 play in games, 8 play in games whatever. Maybe it'd make Tues/Wed more entertaining.

Still wouldn't be a real bid unless you won!

Just my opinion, putting aside bracketology altogether. We've earned a #1 seed in the NIT if we can win these last two games at home and be 17-0 at home. That would give us a great shot at making it to the NIT Semis.

After watching this team all year, I still feel like we've haven't fully earned a spot in the NCAA Tourney. I'd like to see 2-0 to finish, plus a complete neutral site game on THURSDAY at the ACC Tourney IMO, taking Duke or UNC down to the wire or beating the #3 or #4 seed, depending on who we play. Then I'll feel like we have what it takes to hang at a neutral site and deserve our chance. But anything short of that and I won't really be mad about it if the choosers do not choose Wake based on our poor road and neutral site track record.

Just my opinion, putting aside bracketology altogether. We've earned a #1 seed in the NIT if we can win these last two games at home and be 17-0 at home. That would give us a great shot at making it to the NIT Semis.

After watching this team all year, I still feel like we've haven't fully earned a spot in the NCAA Tourney. I'd like to see 2-0 to finish, plus a complete neutral site game on THURSDAY at the ACC Tourney IMO, taking Duke or UNC down to the wire or beating the #3 or #4 seed, depending on who we play. Then I'll feel like we have what it takes to hang at a neutral site and deserve our chance. But anything short of that and I won't really be mad about it if the choosers do not choose Wake based on our poor road and neutral site track record.
100% agree with this.

The only way I would be upset at not making it is if we go 2-0 this week, make it to the semis, and still don't get in.

I wonder if people had the same ridiculous conversation when they added at-large bids in 1975. Doesn't count unless you won your conference!

Back