• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

There are few more classic hot takes than coach-shaming when a player makes a big jump in any given year for not having played them a ton more the previous years.

Whipping out that complaint 17 years and 4 head coaches later in a discussion about this year's team is real special though.

I mean, regardless of his overall ceiling and what he can provide to us long-term at the 5 (including this year), he shot the highest FG% EVER by a collegiate basketball player.

That's some insane stuff. I agree with his shortingcomings, but surely we can get 10-15 mins out of him, even if they are just rim runs and lobs.
Sounds sexual. I like it!

Anybody get their season tix yet? Got my parking passes mailed. Still haven't seen my tix yet. Guess I'll be calling the ticket office today to see where my email is.

Has anybody heard anything else about this? I applied for it a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything. The season starts in one week, shouldn't they let people know? Most people who would be involved are already buying tickets. I imagine not enough people signed up and they're going to scrap it altogether.

There are few more classic hot takes than coach-shaming when a player makes a big jump in any given year for not having played them a ton more the previous years.

Whipping out that complaint 17 years and 4 head coaches later in a discussion about this year's team is real special though.
Add in that the coach is dead and actually died while coaching here and that he’s saying the coach was afraid of a large Black player (who by the way is possibly the least scary person alive).

I mean, regardless of his overall ceiling and what he can provide to us long-term at the 5 (including this year), he shot the highest FG% EVER by a collegiate basketball player.

That's some insane stuff. I agree with his shortingcomings, but surely we can get 10-15 mins out of him, even if they are just rim runs and lobs.
Marsh did not have enough shot attempts to qualify, although he did have 94 attempts ( about 3 per game). Anybody know how many attempts are needed to qualify?

We are definitely beating Louisville.

They still have a ? at head coach and Manning on the bench as assistant, which disrupts all rational basketball thought.

Wish we could play them right now.

I didn’t say he was better than Big E. But Visser was a much better rim defender and deserved more playing time. In the St Joseph’s game, Visser discouraged the repetitive back downs against our small guards for a few minutes in the second half. Then, predictably, when E returned to the lineup in the final minutes, the back downs were successful again. Visser was All ACC his senior year for a reason. He was a good player.
FWIW, some stats from the WF v. St. Joe's 2004 Sweet 16:

Eric Williams 28 minutes 7 for 8 from the field 5 for 6 from the line 19 points (on 8 shots - essentially impossible to be more efficient than that)
Kyle Visser 11 minutes 1 for 2 from the field 1 for 2 from the line 3 points (neither Visser nor Williams had a blocked shot)

Also, the stats don't support that St. Joe's won the game because they dominated the paint. WF had more 2 point goals than STJ (19 to 17) and WF shot a higher % from 2 (54% to 50%) - largely because St. Joe's couldn't stop Big E inside. WF lost to St. Joe's that night by 4 because Pat Carroll shot 5 for 7 from three and a STJ reserve named Tyrone Barley went 4 from 6 from three (after going 9 for 13 from three against WF in the Sweet 16; of course, those two went 3 for 13 in St. Joe's loss to OK State in the Elite 8). In total, against WF, St. Joe's out-scored WF by 12 from three, and won the game by 4 points. Blaming the loss because Eric Williams should have played less when he scored 19 points in 28 minutes on 8 shots is some crazy revisionist history.

Last edited:
FWIW, some stats from the WF v. St. Joe's 2004 Sweet 16:

Eric Williams 28 minutes 7 for 8 from the field 5 for 6 from the line 19 points (on 8 shots - essentially impossible to be more efficient than that)
Kyle Visser 11 minutes 1 for 2 from the field 1 for 2 from the line 3 points (neither Visser nor Williams had a blocked shot)

Also, the stats don't support that St. Joe's won the game because they dominated the paint. WF had more 2 point goals than STJ (19 to 17) and WF shot a higher % from 2 (54% to 50%) - largely because St. Joe's couldn't stop Big E inside. WF lost to St. Joe's that night by 4 because Pat Carroll shot 5 for 7 from three and a STJ reserve named Tyrone Barley went 4 from 6 from three (after going 9 for 13 from three against WF in the Sweet 16; those two went 3 for 13 in St. Joe's loss to OK State in the Elite 8). In total, against WF, St. Joe's out-scored WF by 12 from three, and won the game by 4 points. Blaming the loss because Eric Williams should have played less when he scored 19 points in 28 minutes on 8 shots is some crazy revisionist history.
You really TRAMPled his argument.

Back